By MonMarty on Jul 30, 2019 at 11:41 PM
  1. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotsune Miku Staff Member Server Owner

Hey all. Mostly for Survival people, and people who deal with Game Staff, but an okay read for role players too I guess.

I have decided to throw myself into the ring in Game because of a variety of reasons. I have watched for years as Game continued to be a problem generating source for HR and Direction, where successive leadership branches have failed to reform, and invariably just ended up creating new problems. As server owner, I wanted to take steps back, was convinced that if I did anything myself, half the department would quit, or that Survival would turn into a wasteland. Well fuck it, let them quit if they want to. I am done trying to delegate the solutions to others, or burning out my personal collaborators in the process trying to make band aids for something that simply has not been showing improvement. I have essentially come down to the following conclusions:
    • Much of Game staff is clueless on simple processes and tasks, and defers to documents and bureaucracy over helpful behavior, and service for players.
    • Game staff is so busy making excuses for lack of work and progress, that this excuse generation becomes a 40 hour work shift in itself, coupled with patronizing attitudes to players.
    • Game staff is terribly marred by internal politics, power struggles and greed of rank within the department’s upper levels, useless meetings, false point reports, etc.
    Overall, Game’s performance is so down the drain that I have decided to remold the department based on my own specifications, my own preferences, and how I want survival to function, disregarding the opinions of the staff in how I want it to work, and for Game to simply accept that tone and culture change, or get out.
    • I am ranking down every rank 3 to rank 2, because no rank 3 deserves to be said rank right now for poor performance. They can earn their rank if they work, from zero again.
    • Sephite is removed from department leadership while I step in, however the long term goal is to train her up to run the department the way I want it ran, and then to hand it off to her when I am done.
    • For the time being, old processes will continue to be in effect, and I will tackle the aspects of Game one by one. Rules, Chat Mod, Cheating, Faction Rules, War Rules, Staff behavior, etc.
    • I will be revising every single Point Report from Game, and modifying point accrue where I deem necessary. People who do worthless work get worthless points, and people who generate important content will receive more points accrue.
    • Game will need to be re-focused from droning maintenance to content generation. Content, Content, Content. Instead of treating the players like petulant children, service to the player-base is what is most important.
    While I go through this entire process, Sephite and I will be communicating and holding hands in the process of reworking things, but I stress again that this is not a debate or a discussion. I am coming here slapping my dick on the table and doing what I think is best and necessary, based on how things were 7 years ago when I was the only Game staff member moderating 150 players, before Regalia was even a thing. Where appropriate I will listen to input, but Game staff need to become more used to the idea that not everyone’s opinion matters anymore, and not everyone’s opinion has equal weight. People who don't work, people who aren't there for the players, don't get to sit on glass thrones in high towers deciding how things work down on the ground.

When I am done with what I intend to do, and I am satisfied with the functioning of the department, and I am satisfied that Sephite fully understands my ethic and culture definitions, and has embraced them, I will re-appoint her to rank 3 and department lead and director. She and I have already spoken about this matter, and she and I fully agree with one another, and she is also behind what I am doing. Beyond that, everyone will need to re-start earning rank 3 projects from scratch, because all past projects are now null and void.

For all the staff who believed this to be unfair, they were told to resign now. For all those who thought they could not work in a new department culture focused on content, they were told to resign now. For all those who have trouble, or go down kicking or screaming, they were told to resign now. I legitimately don't care if half or the whole department resigns in protest, a sledgehammer is what is needed to take this bitch to town, and I'm going to take it to town.

I am announcing a new direction for Game, and I am announcing that everyone who is a Game staff should get ready to forget everything they were taught, and begin learning from scratch because I plan to sledgehammer literally everything and rebuild it from the ground up. More announcements will follow when I have them. We will do a slow-roll out. Policies of the past remain in place until they get replaced, essentially. I told the staff to be momentarily embarrassed in front of the players, because it is necessary at this point that Game admits faults and moves on, instead of creating an industrial-level avoidance scheme of duty and work.

I will, as soon as the first changes roll out, make a thread where everything gets recorded, but overall, we can expect a fundamental shift from everything including what staff focus on, how staff respond, how chat moderation works, punishments and restitution, cheating cases, ban appeals, defense cases, faction rules, war rules, general culture behavior of staff, acceptable modes of tone from staff to players and much, much more. I want Game to be less about just running around creating a masochistic torturous punishment culture, and focus more on creating content for the players to enjoy, while kicking back on the constant treatment of players like they are children who can't behave, and smack some respect into Game staff.

Inversely however, I ask of the players in survival that they give me peace on mind in this process, and that I don't have to spend time trying to calm down tempers while I should be working on the processes of server management. I want the server to be a kinder, more fun, and more engaging place. I want people to have less time being angry with each other, and more time just doing things. I want Game staff not to spend 70% of their time arguing with players about how "busy" they are, and how many meetings they need to have before simple decisions are deferred to a 3 week waiting period for players.

But I will also add that I am more of a benevolent autocrat, in that I will enforce a heavier bust on disrespect. If I am not successful and staff become liable for criticism, fair, fire away at them. But if what I do does work, I will not tolerate snippy bullshit.

• Powerful x 51
    • Like x 7
    • Constructive x 3
    • Thank You! x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Immersive x 1
    • Educated x 1
    • Agree x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'Server News and Announcements' started by MonMarty, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Nitesho
    2. MyCatBubbles
      MyCatBubbles
      based tyrant marty

dabdabdabdabdabdabdabdabdabdabdab
    3. Ninja124r
      Ninja124r
      LETS GO BABYYYYY
    4. Zacatero
      Zacatero
      Oh wow. If only this change happened when I was a staff.
    5. Huinkoch
    6. SubscriptShark
      SubscriptShark
      Gonna be blunt here, this is a little bit of an abrupt and very big change that will be bad, i'm calling it
    7. CreeperGirl769
    8. Llefty_
      Llefty_
      If it'll make the server anything more like it was 7 years ago, then I'm all for this. Sounds awesome
    9. Pilotos
    10. Zacatero
      Zacatero
      It will be bad for those who were used to what gamestaff was. Which in all honesty as MonMarty said was incorrectly run. A social club that doesnt prioritize good work is bound for this to happen.
    11. SubscriptShark
      SubscriptShark
      You also just made wiped progress, smart man
    12. JDgoldvox
      JDgoldvox
      first, and this seems like its gonna be a good one.
    13. Aerumnus
      Aerumnus
      Now this... This is epic.
    14. 65jes89
      65jes89
      Amazing. Long overdue, and really looking forward to seeing what you can do with it Marty.
    15. Zacatero
    16. SubscriptShark
      SubscriptShark
      Some people worked for the shit they did, i dont know if they even bothered to look at that
    17. JDgoldvox
      JDgoldvox
      " I am coming here slapping my dick on the table and doing what I think is best and necessary"
      "a sledgehammer is what is needed to take this bitch to town"

true ^^
    18. Arimosa
    19. Zacatero
      Zacatero
      Yes trust me I'm familiar with the concept of doing a lot of work for the Gamestaff and getting kicked or demoted regardless.
    20. MonMarty
      MonMarty
      The way I see it, if you roast the most amazing beef wellington, you've got an 3-star dish, but if you take a shit on it, you've still got a plate of nothing you can eat.
    21. Morbytogan
      Morbytogan
      This was needed and a long time coming. Hope this leads to the server being a better place
    22. 4tv
      4tv
      Finally
    23. Zacatero
      Zacatero
      What was the most frustrating was that I tried to be vocal about certain issues with different projects or events that were going on, like that I felt it was, to put it in pre-expressed terms "like a beef wellington that got a shit taken on it", but I was basically told off for not being a team player and for bashing other people's work.
    24. SubscriptShark
      SubscriptShark
      Fair.
    25. Violettee
      Violettee
      Yes Marty!

Honestly all you need rn is to let tech do their thing and get us updated! Once we have 1.14 we know what we're working with for all projects.
    26. MyCatBubbles
      MyCatBubbles
      If what massive currently is is called 'progress' I fucking want out, this isn't progress and what we need is the owner to actually make an executive decision for players to actually enjoy the game again.

Feel free to tell me btw what you think currently is 'progress'.
    27. SubscriptShark
      SubscriptShark
      Can't
    28. FubeTheMangler
    29. ZiHAMMER
      ZiHAMMER
      Acrogrinder.
    30. SirePyro
      SirePyro
      I absolutely agree with this decision - I've found that when pointing out issues to a given staff, they're as likely to take it in stride as to go "and what do you contribute to the server?" My interactions with the Game Department, particularly the punishment aspect of it, has been fairly surface level and minor, but it has been pretty draconian. I appreciate the desire for reform, even if it is unsuccessful - at least somebody said it who can't be muted for "harassing staff"
    31. MDJTHEHERO
      MDJTHEHERO
      Where appropriate I will listen to input, but Game staff need to become more used to the idea that not everyone’s opinion matters anymore, and not everyone’s opinion has equal weight.

that part refers completely to people like you
    32. grizenator
    33. Ninja124r
      Ninja124r
      sub rolling in his iron lung

upload_2019-7-30_19-49-15.jpeg
    34. CnocBride
      CnocBride
      @MDJTHEHERO @Ninja124r Please don't attack other players for expressing their opinion on the forums. It's perfectly acceptable to critique them, but keep it respectful and we're set.
    35. Alj23
      Alj23
      36vyo8.jpg

Edit: Real talk. If by the time MonMarty is done, and the department is actually structured in a way that it actually produces exciting, engaging, and repeatable content for players to engage in, it'll all have been worth it.

Because I'm not really sure hide and seek and boat racing events are really cutting it as engaging survival world content.
      Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    36. Spekster
      Spekster
      I enjoyed every second of reading this, thank you so much.
    37. Moonflower
      Moonflower
      I'm looking forward to the improvement of everything from here, nice job Marty!
    38. MDJTHEHERO
      MDJTHEHERO
      I literally couldnt say what i said in any more respectful way, I feel like that part refers to people like subscript who always has an opinion that literally 1% of people agree with, no nicer way to put it.
    39. SubscriptShark
      SubscriptShark
      Like yours to be fair because you consistenly went against anything game tried to do not to be quite judgemental there