Friendly Forum Psa

Discussion in 'Forum News and Announcements' started by MonMarty, Aug 31, 2015.

1. MonMarty

MonMarty Not rezzing you
    Staff Member Direction3

Despite what may have been said recently by some toxic individuals, I'd like to remind our players and community members that MassiveCraft has an extremely vibrant art community, and every person no matter their skill or quantity is a valued asset. No other community has the ability to artistically and visually express itself like ours, and no matter if you're a beginner or a pro you've all contributes to it.

I'm proud of all of you, the beginners for starting out and learning, the more advanced ones for helping out and encouraging the others, and the long term ones for sticking with us and making tonnes of quality art to help the imagination of others to expand beyond the norm.

Let's keep this all going and continue to encourage starting artists, because remember: (courtesy of Kevin Smith)

[​IMG]

• Winner x 33
    • Like x 8
    • Cute x 6
    • Friendly x 6
    • Agree x 4
    • Optimistic x 4
    • Thank You! x 3
    • Educated x 2
    • Creative x 2
    • Immersive x 1
    • Constructive x 1
    • Generous x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. 5devildragon

5devildragon Returning

"Or the cartoon you get stoned watching" Aqua teen Hunger, Force How bout u

Finally got back into the RP side of things and decided to make a new char app thanks to the encouragement of some of the Fong family members. I don't know, I guess after seeing all the fascinating jobs and new shops opening up in Regalia that require a char app just get my fingers ready to type a good story :).

3. PonyoWantHam

PonyoWantHam Deviously Deceiving Durant
    Staff Member Lore2

I really appreciate this post. Sometimes, I get discouraged looking at artists much better than me, and don't really get the support I need to keep drawing and continue developing and learning more. However, ever since starting an art thread I was surprised about how much positive feedback which I very much appreciate. I try and see potential in everyone and believe that everyone deserves to get positive reinforcement, because it can be the small step to get you to continue moving forward and developing your skill.

• Agree x 8
    • Like x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Cute x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  4. baellaa

baellaa jenny coen and cindy resalis

This can't be said enough, motivation goes a hell of a long way and simply knowing that someone likes what you do can make the artist or person feel down right amazing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tiber_

Tiber_ totally cheeky
    Premium

Moral of the story: MassiveCraft rocks <3

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Grotlenator

Grotlenator Your Neighborhood Mudskin Chemist

This... This is amazing. Motivation is a big factor in anything in life, especially where creativity is key. Motivation leads to inspiration which leads to a pencil on paper (Or whatever you use) which leads to art. I know that when I browse the art on Massive, it's a little daunting to see that these people make professional-grade art and I'm sitting here with my art and a choice. Either to get discouraged and stay at this level, or decide I have a lot of improving to do.

7. HoidOfTheNorth

HoidOfTheNorth Writer in Training

This inspired me to try my hand at an art shop, despite the fact that I'm not the best artist. Thanks MonMarty, and the Massivecraft community for being so welcoming.

#7 HoidOfTheNorth, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  8. Thewind42

Thewind42 Loozurd

But drawing tablets are expensive :c

On a note that doesn't involve my financial situation. I'll keep up my derpy ways and isometrically inclined drawings! C:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Eccetra

Eccetra Messed Up Plant
    Staff Member Lore1

This was beautiful and so kind, thankyou so much Marty.

I lost my motivation to make art a few years back because I thought I was never "good enough," but now I want pick up that pencil and art program again and try. Even if just for myself and for nobody else, I want to try.

The same goea for everybody else: if you enjoy making art, do it! I know it can be hard sometimes, especially when you see professional artists and think yours cant compare. But those artists may in fact be looking at your work and thinking "wow, what a cute style. I wish I could draw noses like that" or maybe even "I wish I was that talented when just starting out". You all contribute something amazing to the community, and if nothong else please remember than your artistic ability does not define your worth. <3

Holly loves you all very much.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Cute Cute x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Enkiduu

Enkiduu Regalian Burgher

This was linked by Gabriel in her art thread (What happened to it anyway?):
    http://projecttiger.deviantart.com/art/For-everyone-who-loves-to-create-395111562

Anyway, it's not just for the artists, but I feel this community as a whole is far friendlier and helpful than a lot of others out there. Of course, no community is without its faults and share of bad apples, but really, you guys are all so nice and cozy here. Cheers to you all.

11. MantaRey

MantaRey The Queen of the North
    Staff Member Lore2

I stumbled upon this whilst waiting for my Design and Drawing class to begin, ironically. Thank you MonMarty and Massivecraft for your support and encouragement. Not just for the art, but for the players themselves. It's very important that we keep a positive outlook towards everyone, their work especially. I'm always so excited to see other peoples' artwork because -- in all honesty -- I get quite jealous of their talent yet extremely excited for them too!

I hope everyone has a good day, and never give up.

12. markcraft27

markcraft27 Even the sun reaches for greater things.

we are truly gifted with a positive environment and i think that that is much more important than low lag and amazing builds. i recently had some success with my faction, not because we finished building our base or that we lowered taxes, but because we recruited 2 active friendly members that would welcome and help newcomers and just be there to listen to the needs of other members and talk to them. frankly i think the chat (how full it is of friendly conversation and the organization so you can pay attention to what others are saying) is the most important thing for starting servers to have. so things that i think help this positive community be positive: 1: staff to help cool down flame 2: colored chats so you can sort out what you need to listen too and what to (for the most part) ignore. 3: a help chat to help new players 4: a good /msg-ing system (servers sometimes have msg-ing systems where you have to type the command every time and that is really annoying) so massive, if you think that this positive community is just chance and the people are friendly because you are lucky and got good members you are in my opinion wrong. the great chat system helps encourage good conversation and good staff help remove flame from the chat.
    I salute you massivecraft staff and whoever wrote the chat plugin!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Silent_Ruler

Silent_Ruler Señor Lorenzo Martinez de Monte Verde
    1. ⚔ La Ganga/El Beneficio ⚔

I encourage all artists. I just disagree with how some seek out praise by claiming they're bad.
    You never start something with a disclaimer.

While I support artists even if they do this, it is something that really bugs me as I know that they are above such methods. Besides, there are ways they can seek this encouragement without disclaimers- such as a foot note saying "I acknowledge my art to be basic in its current stage, and would be open to opinions and criticism."

It essentially says the same thing, but not in a "manipulative" way. That's my opinion, though. I respect yours, and I expect the same favor be done to me.

@Kiba Araqnuibo

#13 Silent_Ruler, Aug 31, 2015
  14. Kibaa

Kibaa Santiago Martinez || Ekusu

On another note, props to all artists here. I for one am quite bad at digital art with minor skill in hand drawn pieces, but it's easy for me to find motivation from others and often times I'll be surprised with what I can create. You go, artist!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Silent_Ruler

Silent_Ruler Señor Lorenzo Martinez de Monte Verde
    1. ⚔ La Ganga/El Beneficio ⚔

Fixed. ARE YOU CONTENT NOW?

16. Blizzy

Blizzy FallenAngel
    1. º • Ann's Secret Base Association • º

(I know this is about Art and that MassiveCraft is a very positive community for art, but I want to say that MassiveCraft is a positive community in everyway, whether it's Art, Rp, or PvP. So don't get discouraged or looked down on by someone else, go and reach out to what you want to do.)
    If you guys are interested in PvP, but never get the right opportunity to try it out.. Be sure to private message me or contact me in anyway. I've heard that some rpers have a interest in both Rp and PvP, but due to toxicity or the discrimination against rpers they've decided to just not give PvP a shot. Well no worries and don't get discouraged.. go and reach out to your dream and I'll be there to give you my full out support. I myself am not the only person who can help new PvPers reach their dream to try out Pvp, so don't be afraid to ask other PvPers. Like what Marty said, this is a very positive and brightful community, so don't be afraid to try PvP if you really have a interest in it! I love you all. <3
    Here are some PvPers who can help you: @Sevak, @65jes89, @qgmk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #16 Blizzy, Aug 31, 2015
  17. Spacee

Spacee No scope needed.

o mah gawd the Studio Ghibli poster.

18. Molimo

Molimo AgnizingAgnation

Ouch, I teared up. I'm not sure why I'm feeling so emotional, but this did not help.

Thank you and I hate you. (:(
    I don't really hate you.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. T3rrabyte

T3rrabyte Androgynous Roleplayer

I wish I could draw...
    It's so hard to make video games when you need other people to draw assets for you!

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. IndigoIvy

IndigoIvy GoT, Undertale & Homestuck trash - Artist - Cat
    1. *•* FongCo™ - Does a Body Neutral *•*

I cried when I read the comic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. KingBrooke

KingBrooke I am a female! I hope.
    1. Nommy's Cookie Convention

This post has reminded me how badly I've been treated due to how I decided to take a spin on my cartoonish style, but it really made my day. Thanks.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  22. pokyug

pokyug King of Damorn

Sometimes it's hard to see the potential in an artist when you see one of their works, but motivation encourages people to improve.
    Im glad reading this post has made me relearn that.

As a Step-son of a talented yet unrecognized author, this post really hits home for me. Thanks @MonMarty

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Lord_Juris

Lord_Juris Explorer of the Mind, Wanderer of Time

Isometric drawing is hard, but good

24. Cowlegs_

Cowlegs_ Mad Isldar Salesman

This is just ONE of the many, many, many reasons why MassiveCraft is the best server out there, though I'm not an artist, (nor will I ever be one, and that's equally fine.) I feel like there are a lot of people that REALLY needed to hear this message, thank you MonMarty, other such staff and community as a whole!

My love goes out to all of you, and I wish you the best of luck in you're artist endeavors ! <3

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. FlugalMC

FlugalMC Cayorion Fan Club
    Premium

One day, after a hard day running my network due to lack of praise I get for it and having my steam spammed with Complaints, I said something:
    "I wonder if Cayorion ever just feels like shutting Massive down and giving up"
    We all have these days. I'm sure even he does.
    Its when someone adds me on steam just to say, "Your StarWarsRP is the best I've ever played on!" that keeps me going.
    Moral of the story: No matter who it is, even if its not really art, don't shoot them down for crap like this. Don't give them crap. Encourage them, tell them they're doing a great job.
    And who knows: They might end up creating the next big thing.

26. Gabauchi

Gabauchi Goblin Man
    1. Hyrune

fuck yes.jpg

• Funny x 8
    • Winner x 3
    • Immersive x 1
    • Cute x 1
    • Agree x 1
  27. SpoopMelon

SpoopMelon You know, that person in the corner.
    1. /(._.(\Where the weird people are\(._.)/

This is where it helps that I have the intelligence of a caveman.

Also the message of this is amazing and proves that the Massivecraft community is perfect in all the ways.

28. Friendly_Gal

Friendly_Gal The Friendly Hugger ❤
    Premium

Both of Marty's message and Gab's Message are great.

• Like Like x 1
  29. gothgirlawesome

That help's. I am new to making a fac and someone already called us a noob fac

30. FlugalMC

FlugalMC Cayorion Fan Club
    Premium

The PvP community on here are not known for being nice...

31. FlossyBerry

FlossyBerry Glass half empty, glass half full

Nhnnn I love this post thank you papa marty I want all artists to know ART is /ART/ someone is not better if your digital it's just a different art so don't do digital just because everyone else does it, do what you want

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  32. DockedRelic

DockedRelic Grandpa Nature

This is beautiful, and really cool. The comic almost made me cry. I just started out on art, digital included... But my lines are hairy making my characters look like a feature in a Tim Burton sketch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Cute Cute x 1
  33. FinnDJ123

FinnDJ123 King Of Scrubs

Agreed! I always look at other greater artists and feel inspired, but when I look at my own, or someone else comments on my skills in art, I do tend to feel dis-heartened. But, positive feedback and support is what's driving me in to do my games design course in uni, and I'm determined to get there, as should all artists strive towards greatness!