Forgotten Dreams

Discussion in 'Player Stories' started by screaminbenshee, Sep 20, 2021.

1. screaminbenshee

screaminbenshee Black Sheep

A young boy hurriedly dashed through the busy streets of the city, ducking and pushing past person after couple after party. For what reason no one could really say, at least not a passerby, but it was not until they reached a rather defunct alleyway did their intentions become known

“It’s Change-Out! Change-Out at the Whimsy!!”

And then just like that, the kid was off like a bolt, back along the path they blazed which had been filled in by more passing people.

Almost as quickly, from the depths of the rubbish bins and the behind old boxes, a slurry of dirty, ratty, sickly children hurried and made haste out of the alley. This was not an uncommon sight for all those who frequent such a place as Hangman’s Road, much less any place were the filth and the forgotten dwell in the shadows. For them such places are home, these offspring of the abandoned, no love left for them but one another, only left to scrape and scrounge for what the day to day throw in the muck.

However, on this day they haven’t the time for moping about, it was time to hurry! All the boys and girls had cleared out…. but two…...two remained…a pair of boys, both no more then 11 or 12. One stood next to his presumed friend while they sifted through a rubbish bin, looking anxious, pacing about

“Come on Baskin! It’s Change-Out! We can’t just miss it again!” the boy whined “We’ll miss out on the good mugs!”

“Oi quit your wailin Julius!” his friend’s voice reverbed inside the bin, legs flailing around on the rim as trash was tossed about “I said we’d be there today and we will! I just…gotta…get…” he struggled, grunting and groaning until all his messing about caused the bin to tip over, spilling trash and the little dirt covered boy onto the alley floor. They shook the dirty from their hair and stood up, clutching a large metal cog in their hands

“Dear Ness above Baskin, have you no sense of self-preservation??” Julius scolded him, as he did every time they managed to make a quagmire of themselves

Baskin didn’t seem to mind, only staring at the cog in wonderment, as if a million things were going through his mind

“H…Hey! Anyone up there?” grabbing his attention was no good, as Julius knew, once a thought entered his mind not much could drag him out. Instead, they pushed him along, hand on their back as they walked together to meet with the others…

By the time they had made it to the Whimsy all the other street kids had crowded about the small alley in the back, Julius let out a sigh “Now would you look at that?! It’s gonna be years till we can get through that one!...Oi! Baskin!” he addressed his friend again, this time giving them a hard smack on the back of the head which, in turn, seemed to snap them out of whatever trance the broken piece of clockwork put them in

“Woah! Oh! Thank you, Julius. Say! Wouldn’t it be cool if-“

“Here we go again…” they groaned, shaking their head as they walked forward to get a place in the mess for them

“No no! Really!” The young Baskin replied, hurrying after Julius to continue his thought...

“Imagine if I could really do something with these bits! If we can just get a few mates together- “

Julius threw up his arms and waved a hand in Baskin’s face “No! No! You know and /I/ know that’s never gonna happen! Come on mate, why do you have to be such a…a…”

“Visionary??” They said, grinning at their friend with an arrogant smile

“I was gonna say Fantasizer…”
    Julius refuted, sighing and pinching the bridge of their nose “I’ve said this a hundred times Baskin, you need to focus on things that aren’t impossible. Remember when you wanted to do that…what was it...Me-dic-in-al? “ He struggled with the big word, then shook his head “Whatever it was, fixin folk, makin em better. What good is clock parts?!”

“You don’t get it! I’m not giving up in the medicinal stuff! But this clockwork stuff is amazing! I’m tellin you one day they’re gonna use it to make new arms with it! New legs! And I for one hope to be at the helm of that ship!” the young Baskin gushed, pouring his heart and hope into every word. He believed there was more to be had, a chance that these grimy cogs and tarnished copper was gonna be the thing to dig him out. Julius let out another sigh, opening his mouth to speak before the crowd of kids erupted into dozens of shouts and yells. A rather large man was walking down the steps from the tavern, carrying a keg in his arms and trying to stave off the dirty kids crowding him

“Get back ya lot! You’ll get your pint if ya’d just form an orderly line for once!”

As much as the man complained the kids never did comply, simply following the man as he went out to the back and following after him for the promised pint of day-old booze...

Julius looked to the crowd and sighed, then looked back at his friend “…. Look…I know this idea probably will never just…go away. It never does with you…but…maybe start slow? Ya know? Learn the medicine now and THEN the…. clock…. stuff?” he gave him a pleading face, setting his hands on their shoulders “Please? For my sake…and EVERYONE’S eardrums…”

Baskin looked down at the cog in his hands, then back at his friend, letting out a heavy sigh and nodding “…Okay…Fine...”

Then Julius smiled, patting his friend’s shoulder and then pulling him along “Alright then! Come on Baskin! Lets get a pint!”

“You know I told you to quit callin’ me that.”

“Yeah…but it fits you!”

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    #1 screaminbenshee, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022