Archived Factions Wiki

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

twinCatalysts

Former Leader of Tyberia
Reaction score
Faction
Tyberia
Kingdom
Tyberian Empire
So there was a good amount of discussion in general about factions today, and I had an idea I shared briefly there that I decided might warrant a more permanent forum post.

A lot of people in the discussion expressed a want for Factions to have roleplay again, intertwined with PvP. There were a lot of ideas spitballed, from approved roleplay cities, staff-approved city sieges, etc.

In my view, staff-hosted/allowed events aren't enough. They'd be too few and far between, and it would never have a feeling of being player-run.

My solution is a simple, and indirect one.
Have a factions Wiki.

A wiki that allows anyone on Massive to make a page about their faction, and write whatever lore they want about it.
Nothing would be canon, or affect regalia roleplay, but it wouldn't need to be.
The point would be that there is a place to put it.
A place where people can access it, easily.
People will be encouraged to use it, as it let's them create their own story. No rules or restrictions; and others would be able to see it, so it wouldn't be pointless.
It would also allow other factions to easily read about another factions lore, making it much easier for them to interact with eachother if they so wish.
That's something Massive lacks.
Right now, if you wanted to find out about a faction's lore, you'd have to ask someone in the faction and hope they knew anything about it, if there was anything to know, or search through the forums for a while and see if you can find something. A pretty big inconvenience, for something that's probably not worth it.
With a wiki, you just search their name. If anything comes up, it's the lore of the faction; and lore that someone knowledgeable about it enough to write about it, wrote.
You could even see recently updated pages, or even random ones, and find out about factions you otherwise might not.
Naturally as factions live and grow, they'd develop history, and interactions with other factions would be something that would be written down, and therefore matter more.

The less red tape to creating something, the better.

I honestly don't know the entire logistics of creating a Wiki, but as far as I'm aware, they're free and not too difficult to set up, especially with such experienced coders as Massive has.

Hopefully this idea will be considered and talked about; I think it would be, at the very least, a good step.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Okay, I think its time I come out with what me and @Zacatero have been working on for the past 2 weeks.

http://massivefactions.wikia.com

Zacatero and I have been working on this very thing for a bit and have seemed to have gotten the hang of it. Right now its in early beta stage, but its inching closer to a final form. This wiki was made to quote unquote "replace" the older and outdated MassiveCraft wikia. This one is updated to the new format, with website changes and is generally much easier to work around with.
Ya ^^ this.

Okay, I think its time I come out with what me and @Zacatero have been working on for the past 2 weeks.

http://massivefactions.wikia.com

Zacatero and I have been working on this very thing for a bit and have seemed to have gotten the hang of it. Right now its in early beta stage, but its inching closer to a final form. This wiki was made to quote unquote "replace" the older and outdated MassiveCraft wikia. This one is updated to the new format, with website changes and is generally much easier to work around with.

EDIT: If you do make new pages guys, make sure to look at other completed pages to get a good idea on what to put down and such. @SubscriptShark has a pretty good player page if you need help there. For factions, Latronis' is completed.

This is really cool, and the amount of work you guys put into it shows.
There's one, incredibly major problem though.
Since it's not Staff-owned, you can't link it in game.
That means only people who go on the forums, or people who use third parties to message eachother, can even know of it's existence or get to it.
If staff were willing to enable it as an accepted link in game, that would be absolutely amazing.

This is really cool, and the amount of work you guys put into it shows.
There's one, incredibly major problem though.
Since it's not Staff-owned, you can't link it in game.
That means only people who go on the forums, or people who use third parties to message eachother, can even know of it's existence or get to it.
If staff were willing to enable it as an accepted link in game, that would be absolutely amazing.
That would be an interesting idea, to potentially adding that to the link whitelist