Archived Faction Tax

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

Jawarhala

Pioneer
Reaction score
Before I begin, I'm not entirely sure if I've taken this to the right place, so feel free to correct me and move this thread.

With the recent update to the server came the taxation function for Factions. I'm a little confused as to the purpose and intended end-game for the addition of this feature. My main question is whether or not the tax is mandatory.

It raises the particular concern for me that for some factions, particularly roleplay oriented and smaller factions, that do not produce any kind of sustainable income to meet the requirements of the tax, it may lead to an overall decline in faction activity. It is within my honest opinion that this may prove detrimental to the over all health of factions, and add unnecessary strain to an economy that I view as being unstable.

Hopefully you could understand and dispel my concerns. I do think that this feature is an excellent move to keep the economy flowing, were there a source of reliable income to sustain it to begin with, which does lead me to my overarching point, that the economy needs to be fixed to provide sustainable income before a feature like this is enabled, and expected to work effectively. But that's a discussion for another time.

~~==EDIT==~~
In hindsight to my original point, the overall taxation amount is fair towards smaller factions, but it still raises the issue of sustainable income.

Last edited:
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Before I begin, I'm not entirely sure if I've taken this to the right place, so feel free to correct me and move this thread.

With the recent update to the server came the taxation function for Factions. I'm a little confused as to the purpose and intended end-game for the addition of this feature. My main question is whether or not the tax is mandatory.

It raises the particular concern for me that for some factions, particularly roleplay oriented and smaller factions, that do not produce any kind of sustainable income to meet the requirements of the tax, it may lead to an overall decline in faction activity. It is within my honest opinion that this may prove detrimental to the over all health of factions, and add unnecessary strain to an economy that I view as being unstable.

Hopefully you could understand and dispel my concerns. I do think that this feature is an excellent move to keep the economy flowing, were there a source of reliable income to sustain it to begin with, which does lead me to my overarching point, that the economy needs to be fixed to provide sustainable income before a feature like this is enabled, and expected to work effectively. But that's a discussion for another time.

Theres a faction tax?

How does this work?

Do the owners have to pay money for each member?

Do members have to pay money?
The amount is based on how many chunks you have claimed, being 0.1 regal per chunk claimed. All players are taxed, as I understand. The amount they will be taxed is set by the leader. As I see it, it's a way to take money that can scarcely be afforded to lose, in order to gain /very/ little.

The amount is based on how many chunks you have claimed, being 0.1 regal per chunk claimed. All players are taxed, as I understand. The amount they will be taxed is set by the leader. As I see it, it's a way to take money that can scarcely be afforded to lose, in order to gain /very/ little.

How often is this collected?

How can we stop it?

Cayorion is going to publish a bit PR post at some point explaining the thoughts behind the choices, but I will highlight a bit on the taxing itself.

According to my predicsumptions, PVP oriented factions, as well as survivalist factions should have no problem with the taxes. One of the largest factions in the server instituted a "Kill 21 mobs per week" rule for every member, and that seems to work fine, as most upstanding factions have a darkroom or ally's darkroom available.

Roleplay factions, might be a bit more complicated than that. The biggest problem I find with the current mindset of participants of the economy, is that because they can't get more than a Regal per diamond, that the economy is broken.

Far from this however, the Economy is maturing to a point that primary resources are no longer the main method of barter. Converting those diamonds into tools, armor sets and weapons seems to gather the majority of money nowadays, not even to speak of services.

To spell an example: I sell sketches of characters on the forum, they have all gone out at prices above 3000 Regals a piece, for something I spent less than half an hour making. This covers the cost of my RP faction for half a year, and I can declare my faction tax free, because as an owner I can provide for them.

While it might not be a fully fair example, as there are a lot variables to selling what I sell, everyone in one way or another has a talent, be it building, writing, reciting poetry, roleplay jobs, gardening, commissioning, the possibilities really are endless.

As a wealthy off Role player, I have no problem hiring people for me in character and paying them royal stipends based on the work they do. In the end, while role players might have a tougher time getting the money than say PVP'ers, there are endless opportunities to earn money fast and in large amounts.

The only variable that is missing is motivation and dedication.