Pending Review Evocarorum / Artificaurorum Update

Discussion in 'Roleplay' started by Conflee, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Conflee

Conflee Me an the bois at 3 am lookin for BEANS!

Going to try to keep this broken up into points and simplified a bit.

Issues:
    • Evocarorum and Artificaurorum lore is very outdated especially in relation to current magic and demon lore.
    • Artificaurorum devices and machines have in the past been incredibly Deus Ex Machina, mostly because players don't understand their actual limits, or have any real idea on how they work other than taking energy and focusing it through a foci for effects.
    • When we did have an understanding of how something worked, often times they would be used for various unrelated purposes, IE: Make a shield to stop a meteor but also stop bone horrors exclusively from entering somehow and also drain all the arken and depower all silven at once. All in one machine.
    • Mutants don't exist anymore and possessions currently are kind of lackluster and funneled heavily.
    Suggestions:
    • A general rewrite to update both to current lore and standards.
    • Elaboration on how Artificaurorum devices work, their limits and abilities, etc. Limits make more creative writing and less deus ex stuff. It was kind of needed in the past I'll admit to wrap stuff up cleanly to move on but still.
    • Add more devices that can be connected to stack and layer effects for more complex solutions to problems.
    • Add more foci with various origins. There's a lot of room to allow for fun lore, and plot devices. Maybe some cultures over the last several cycles have figured out how to artificially make foci, or foci-like gems that can be hotwired into current devices. Maybe some naturally form? Etc.
    • Add more uses for foci: Some foci can have uses outside of being channeled with a machine. Maybe some can be used by normies to use parlor-magic esk effects, but more powerful and with only specific purpose per crystal (when used in this way).
    • More machine-based uses per crystal depending on outside factors. Maybe an introduction of "Catalysts" that can be set around some devices to channel slightly different effects or increase the power/duration etc of other effects.
    • Introduce Artificaurorum devices and machines for usability in Quests, Progressions, and Storywebs- rare obviously. If players can hunt for different pieces, different foci and machines and catalysts etc to try and generate their own effects to solve problems, it becomes a fun tool to tinker with instead of a plot problem begon machine.
    • Allow for foci and LOWER POWER devices to be obtained in Quests, Progressions, and Storywebs for use In-Game- obviously with limitations on how powerful the devices we let into standard RP are, and being incredibly rare.
    • Bring back Mutations with an "Eye for an eye" mentality. To be very literal in my example: One mutation might cause light sensitivity in the eyes, so the mutant's eyes hurt and vision is blurry on bright sunny days or when they are flashed with light from spells etc, or look directly at flames. But, they gain minor dark sight, being able to see in the dark as if it was a clear night on a full moon. And their physical mutation would be dulled and slightly milky eyes. A pro, and a con. An equal trade.
    • Mutations would be limited to Application Holders Only, with it requiring approval like Vampirism does, and with a limit of 3 or 5 per character we will say. Plus an emphasis on how Mutants are viewed as outsiders with lesser rights (Being None Status regardless of race).
    • More possession stuff. I don't have specifics for this, just more in general. There are too few options that are too funneled atm imo. I don't see anything played ever other than Dread and Hallows so there is clearly some issue if nobody takes interest in the rest and even those two are rare-ish.

#1 Conflee, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  2. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

The Artificaurorum is an incredibly niche subject, and the way Regalian roleplay is right now I don't think updating this part of lore would be that impactful to anyone's roleplay. I feel it would only exist as a far out there machine device that the majority of players won't give a damn about regardless of how cool it appears. It just doesn't have anything to offer to the table that other lore/systems already does.

As for mutations, I don't think it should go further than Haat-Maraya and whatever possession/racial mutations already exist. I feel it would just be meme--tier slapstick character creation that few players would take seriously, or create a really odd scenario where everyone is fine chatting up the guy with a third eye and tentacles on his back. Fear RP doesn't really exist in my opinion, and adding creepiness to roleplay again just seems like a bad idea. I don't care if it's supposed to explain corruption from the void or some experiment gone wrong. It's gross and doesn't drive much of a narrative besides a creeped out factor or a white knight feeling sorry for the uwu demon with cue horns and a tail.

TL;DR, The Artificaurorum is a plot device and should remain as such, because the roleplay atmosphere won't benefit from having some niche subject being updated that less than 1% of players might care enough about to use.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Conflee

Conflee Me an the bois at 3 am lookin for BEANS!

I tend to care a fair bit when its used to wrap up 8 different plot necessities in one power-blast. Most of the wiki is near-useless information thats just there to make the world feel more complete. How often are Flora or Fauna really referenced in RP outside alchemists? Just because it won't be used often doesn't mean it doesn't have very solid value to existing.

As for the mutant thing, I get the feeling staff mentality on it has changed given how stamped out it is more or less, but if there isn't some word lore side against normal mutants I think my idea is a good approach to it. An eye for an eye, a set list of trades that come with the consequence of being None Civil Status.

• Agree Agree x 2