Day Of The Week Build Challenge

Interested?

• Total voters

MrHappyTinkles

Block-Put-Togetherer
Reaction score
Builds can be submitted a total of two days past the intended assignment date, though it is highly encouraged to build before, or on the day of the assigned challenge.

C
ome one and come all! Drawing inspiration from Gabriel's wonderful Day of the Week Art Challenge thread, I would like to invite you all on a similarly structured trial; a small build for each day of the week!

Much like the original Day of the Week challenge, you will be subject to deadlines that end on the day that the theme is assigned. For each day, you must build a design in adherence to the theme and submit within the same day (One day of grace, for the busy folk). Starting from March 22nd to the 28th, there will be a total of 7 themed challenges for each day.

\/ The rules \/ are extremely lacking, as building does not require as much composure and artistic skill to apply on a practical level. Just keep these in mind:

1. Taking from the previous challenge, there will be a roster where each participant will be kept track of in recognition of their bravery. Sign-up's are required, through a /very/ short application that is PMed to me or replied upon in this thread! See below for the application.
  2. Put effort into your builds! A one-material box with an 'ironically humorous' caption is discouraged. At the same time, it is recommended to keep your builds concise, and not over 3 hours.
  3. Submit your works onto the thread, tagging @MrHappyTinkles when you're ready to show. Your work will be displayed beside your username in the roster.
  4. (NEW AS OF MARCH 20th) Artistic interpretation is encouraged. If, for example, a Nordic-themed day was assigned, it may be challenging and enthralling explore the Nordic style from different perspectives; a colonial encampment in the desert, or a Nordic ship would be examples of out-of-the-box interpretation. You're free to fall back to traditional stuff, if you're not comfortable with making up completely outrageous designs.
  5. (NEW AS OF MARCH 21ST) It is highly encouraged to create new builds on the day that the theme is assigned, but not strictly enforced. You will want to reveal your work as the day comes up, as to instill a sense of excitement to viewers so that they don't see Friday's build on Wednesday. That being said, if you have little time, the themes will be revealed often 2-3 days in advance in case you require more time to finish your build.
  6. Get creative, and have a blast!

The Themes

Sunday: Middle Eastern
What better way to enjoy a good Sunday by building the architecture of those who worship the sun? To start off the challenge, your first task will be to construct a building reminiscent of the Qadir, or the Moorish/Arabic architectural styles of the medieval ages.

If you like, here are some links to start your search for references:

http://wiki.massivecraft.com/Qadir
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moorish_architecture
https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=desert city

Monday: Mediterranean
Building constructions that hearken to the lands of the Mediterranean is both supremely challenging, and equally rewarding. Using your knowledge of color choice and form, I hereby challenge thee to draft builds that simply look as though they would appear on the coasts of the Great Sea.

The following styles might help kick-start your design process:

-Hellenic
-Italian (Malta has wonderful examples)
-Croatian
-Byzantine
-Southern French

And the pinterest link: https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=medieval mediterranean city

Tuesday: Terraforming
Its time to stretch those nature legs. Whether it be making terrain from scratch or creating a garden, your task will be to utilize the green side of Minecraft to create something Shayin would enjoy prancing around with. Here would be some of the many things that might fall under the Tuesday stuff.

-Gardens
-Tree designs
-A hill
-A small grove
-An overgrown house

Wednesday: Western

Bring your sights to the new world, and particularly the wild frontier. I challenge you, today, to build something that would fit in the great deserts of Mid-West America, the jungles of the Aztec peoples, or even a colonial-era house. The choice is yours.

Thursday: Otherworldly

It is time to expand your horizons, by depicting the architecture of something not human. It could be something as familiar as an Elven or Dwarven construction, or something outlandish such as a Mekett hive or an Ur encampment. Stretch your mind as far as possible, combining imagination and practicality to bring the homes of the other world to life.

Friday: Far Eastern

Today's the day you bring your sights to the realm of the Orient. From the grandiose architecture of feudal Japan to the huts of Polynesia, the realm of Asia presents a multitude of different architectures to replicate. Keep in mind, if you plan on building a hut of some kind; make sure to make it interesting.

Saturday: Still a mystery!

final asdf

The Quick Application Form

Forum Name:
Time Zone:

The Roster

@ApatheticLlama - Aussie Time Zone
(Sun) (Mon) (Tue) (Wed) (Thu) (Fri) (Sat)

@Chanter_ - EST

@Cielian - EST

@Flashera - EST

@Greenie - NZST

@HobblingHobbit - CST

@Macroreptilia - PST

@Maddie4868 - EST

@MonMarty - CEST

@Oblivaify - GMT

@Party_Penguin27- CDT

@The_Shadow_King3 - EST

@0Deedee0 - GMT

Last edited:
Forum Name: Party Penguin27
Time Zone: Central, (US)
FYI I do mostly interiors, so expect a lot of things in the form of that.

Last edited:
You know what, I'm a decent builder and I enjoy a challenge. Also, I'll tag some of my friends @Macroreptilia (pssst, know any other's Mac?)

Forum Name: The_Shadow_King3
Time Zone: EST

I went Moorish with today's structure. It's a holy place of sorts, with the lower area for prayer or thought and the roof for walking or just to look out over the landscape. I hope I did a good job but I'm totally up for criticism and what you think could be done better.
2015-03-21_13.54.31.png 2015-03-21_13.55.14.png 2015-03-21_13.55.30.png 2015-03-21_13.56.01.png
@MrHappyTinkles

I think you did quite alright! Its very regular and fitting to the desert atmosphere, and the shape seems fully formed. I suggest looking into deviating from your current block usage, and exploring some of the things you can do with multiple, contrasting blocks.

When I get the chance, I'll add this to the master post. Same with @Greenie and his build (Which is quite wonderful in itself).

I finished my own house structure, decided to be a little creative with this one! Tell me what you think!
http://imgur.com/a/B4Rex

Personally, I think I did the interiors WAY better than the exteriors. :/

Ack, hope it isn't too late to sign on!

I tried to recreate the entrance to Petra, a 4th-century BC city carved into the walls of a desert valley/canyon in Jordan. I adapted it a little bit, mostly to add bas-reliefs of the sun and whatnot to make it more how I'd imagine Qadir architecture. The colours are a bit off, but it would've looked really flat otherwise. The scale is way off, by the way. That little white thing in front of the entrance on the real picture is a person.
9ghdWPC.jpg

I'd imagine it to be a temple in some desert or another in Farahdeen.

HYvC8pL.jpg

qMhLoXg.jpg

PTGBnJQ.png

Aaaand it's only a faƧade.

Oh god is this to be done by today or tommorrow

((Is this ok to pass on this is like my worst build style))

Mediterranean Monday:
7ptZAhq.png
So, uh. This one is a bit of a mishmash. I wanted to try making a townhouse like you'd find in a Florentine alley, and then decided I also wanted to try making a mongrel cottage with greek-style stucco walls and a vineyard. And they kind of went right next to eachother. Just pretend one isn't there when you're looking at the other x3

AC6eRIn.png

Lx1M5RZ.png

21p7rRG.png

IqNNnjy.png

w2RwWZD.png

You might notice that some of the hardened-clay has bricks and what-not showing through. I did some resource-pack magic to make the effect of the plastery-stuff wearing away from the brickwork.
@MrHappyTinkles

Last edited:
I build a really bad riad (A type of courtyard) for sunday.

Hopefully my meditarinan one for tomorrow will be much better

@MrHappyTinkles

Attachments

• 2015-03-22_19.15.25.png
    2015-03-22_19.15.25.png
    442.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 2015-03-22_19.15.53.png
    2015-03-22_19.15.53.png
    759.8 KB · Views: 22

gKl0tx3k5jtmEx6uBbmhEnrwtdyxIHTbT9gj19wBcfUawsvCRPnapVCK0jWQ1r0EIg1_DfwLis5paq_Rzt814SkJZDY87B7ZS8GVmMxu-NPmGL0SZViUh8-eEOJsB7-GSaFtBC8

*~ Build Challenge ~*
Sunday's Entry by Cielian

The following images depict a quaint Middle-Eastern inspired farming town along the banks of a bubbling desert oasis amidst the sprawling dunes of the encompassing desert.

vZnglbd.png

K16K5NH.png

qAYokgS.png

ZGbmErJ.png

S5PbgHm.png

This farming town, which would ideally be larger, is purposed to meet a substantial portion of a growing desert civilization's agricultural needs and to play a key role in commerce throughout the sandy trade routes of the diverse areas both local and abroad.
images

@MrHappyTinkles

Last edited:
Mediterranean Monday:
7ptZAhq.png
So, uh. This one is a bit of a mishmash. I wanted to try making a townhouse like you'd find in a Florentine alley, and then decided I also wanted to try making a mongrel cottage with greek-style stucco walls and a vineyard. And they kind of went right next to eachother. Just pretend one isn't there when you're looking at the other x3

AC6eRIn.png

Lx1M5RZ.png

21p7rRG.png

IqNNnjy.png

w2RwWZD.png

You might notice that some of the hardened-clay has bricks and what-not showing through. I did some resource-pack magic to make the effect of the plastery-stuff wearing away from the brickwork.
@MrHappyTinkles
I approve of the color scheme ;>

Deep in the foothills of Greece sits a temple. A temple that was once a center for the worship of Zeus, it now is draped in vines and only bats and goats look upon it's old beauty. Standing inside was once a glorios statue which now sits dilapidated in it's throne of marble.

2015-03-22_18.19.12.png 2015-03-22_18.19.27.png 2015-03-22_18.19.35.png 2015-03-22_18.19.43.png 2015-03-22_18.20.03.png
@MrHappyTinkles

images

Build Challenge
Monday's Entry by Cielian

Today's entry is a mountain-top, Greek-inspired sanctuary in the rough fashion of the temple of Apollo at Delphi.

55usvN5.png

Q3mZCMx.png

LABnHoZ.png

qVGTU7h.png

X8wuZJN.png

s27izkR.png

qrWqTIu.png

Within the temple stands a large statue in honor of some particular god, whether a realistic god hailing from greek mythology or a fantastical variation from some fictional realm. Behind the statue is built a staircase that descends further into the temple dwellings for priests, prophets, and oracles alike. Outside the sanctuary doors and before the temple's porch is space for common conversation and the occasional barter for religious goods and sanctified objects at the trader's stall.
images

@MrHappyTinkles