Connor Scribbe's All-caps Principles Of Skinning

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Scribbe, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Scribbe

Scribbe Scribma Male Staff Member Lore1

THE CONNOR SCRIBBE PRINCIPLES OF SKINNING

I SKIN A LOT
    I WOULD CALL MYSELF
    A GOOD SKINNER
    HERE ARE THE RULES I PLAY BY IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE
    1. Proportion
    2. Shape
    3. Detail
    4. Colour
    I WILL ELABORATE NOW

PROPORTION
    YOU MAY BE ASKING. “But Scribbe- why is proportion most important?” FUCK YOU THAT’S WHY. PROPORTION IS THE VISUAL LANGUAGE OF ANYTHING- HOW GOOD A SKIN LOOKS IS FOREMOSTLY TIED TO HOW WELL PROPORTIONED IT IS. FOR EXAMPLE: KEEP YOUR BELTS IN THE LOWER-MIDDLE PART OF THE TORSO BUT NOT WITHIN 2 PIXELS OF THE BOTTOM OF IT. 3 PIXELS IS THE LOWEST YOU CAN GO BEFORE YOU START SEEING THE CRACK OF SOMEONE’S ASS, YA DIG?

ESSENTIALLY KEEP THE SKIN AS A WHOLE IN MIND RATHER THAN JUST THE PARTICULAR PART YOU’RE WORKING ON. IT CAN GET EASY TO LOSE TRACK OF JUST HOW MUCH SPACE YOU’RE USING WHEN YOU’RE NOT FOCUSING ON THE ENTIRE THING; KEEP IN MIND HOW MUCH SPACE SHOULD BE ALLOTTED TO SHIRTS/PANTS/SLEEVES/BOOTS AND YOU’LL BE GRAVY.

SHAPE
    SHAPE COMES SECOND. CLOSE SECOND. HERE IS THE TIP TO GETTING GOOD SHAPES ON YOUR SKINS: DO THE HAT LAYER BEFORE YOU START SHADING. OH MY GOD PLEASE JUST DO THE HAT LAYER BEFORE SHADING.

HERE ARE THE BENEFITS OF HAT LAYER BEFORE SHADING:

• YOU KNOW WHERE TO REDUCE EFFORT
    • YOU HAVE A BETTER GRASP ON PROPORTIONS
    • YOU CAN BETTER MENTALLY IMAGE HOW YOU’RE GOING TO SHADE IT
    HERE ARE THE BENEFITS OF HAT LAYER AFTER SHADING:
    • THERE ARE NONE YOU LAZY FUCK
    YOU GET A GOOD SHAPE AND HONESTLY SHADING KINDA DOESN’T MATTER AS MUCH AS LONG AS THE SHAPES ARE GOOD AND CLEAR BECAUSE SILHOUETTES ARE MORE IMPORTANT TO OUR BRAINS THAN LIGHTING. THIS IS WHY CAMOUFLAGE WORKS.

DETAIL
    TOP TIP FOR DETAILS IN SKINS: SKIMP OUT ON DETAILS. LIKE I SAID- SILHOUETTES MORE IMPORTANT. A PLAIN BLUE DRESS WITH MINIMAL GOLDEN TRIMMING IS ALWAYS GONNA LOOK BETTER THAN A BLUE DRESS COVERED IN GOLDEN PATTERNS AND DESIGNS ON A SKIN (ALTHOUGH I AM QUITE GOOD AT THAT) BECAUSE YOU ONLY HAVE SO MUCH SPACE TO WORK ON A MINECRAFT SKIN- IF YOU ADD TOO MUCH EXTRANEOUS DETAIL LIKE JEWELLERY OR SMALL TRIMS, YOU LOSE THE OPPORTUNITY TO WORK IN MORE VISUALLY IMPORTANT COMPONENTS LIKE FOLDS IN FABRIC AND TRANSITIONS BETWEEN CLOTHING ITEMS. BASICALLY, THIS IS THE SAME AS THE PREVIOUS POINT; SHAPES IMPORTANT.

COLOUR
    CONTROVERSIAL CONNOR SCRIBBE SKINNING TAKE: PALETTES ARE BAD. “But Scribbe- you made a palette! Why are you saying this?!” YOU CRY. I’LL TELL YOU WHY: BECAUSE I DON’T USE IT MYSELF. IT’S BETTER TO LEARN COLOURS YOURSELF AND EXPERIMENT WITH FADES AND GRADIENTS AND WHAT COLOURS WORK WELL FIRSTHAND THAN IT IS TO RELY ON PALETTES TO GET YOUR TONES. COLOUR-PICKING TOOLS ARE ALSO COUNTERINTUITIVE TO LEARNING COLOURS; LOOKING AT YOU, PMCSKIN3D. YOU WILL ALWAYS SKIN BEST WHEN YOU HAVE A LEARNED, INTUITIVE GRASP ON WHAT COLOURS LOOK GOOD AND WHAT COLOURS DON’T. PALETTES ARE FOR LOSERS. OR JUST COPY ME THAT ALSO WORKS I SAY, STARING AT @Bunemma.

POSTSCRIPT
    CONTINUING THE THEME OF CRITICISING COMMONLY USED TECHNIQUES; BASES. BASES SUCK. THEY JUST DO. HERE IS, IN MY OPINION, WHY: USING BASES ENCOURAGES STAGNATION IN TECHNIQUE. BY LAYING DRESSES OVER THE SAME TEMPLATES OF ARMS YOU’RE NEVER ALTERING HOW YOU MAKE THOSE ARMS, ONLY REPLICATING THEM AND SLOWING YOUR OWN PROGRESS. ALTHOUGH IT’S FASTER TO MAKE THE SKIN USING THE SAME ARMS, IN THE LONG RUN YOUR IMPROVEMENT IS STIFLED.

SECONDARILY, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY; DO NOT BE DISSUADED BY MAKING A BAD SKIN. THE BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE IN ANYTHING IS TO IDENTIFY WHAT WENT WRONG AND FIX IT NEXT TIME. COLOURS WASHED OUT? CONSCIOUSLY GO MORE VIBRANT NEXT TIME. SCREWED UP HOW LOW THE BELTS GO DOWN? GO HIGHER NEXT TIME. YOU WILL FIND THAT AS YOU IDENTIFY FAULTS AND RESOLVE THEM ACTIVELY YOU GET BETTER AT HANDLING THAT THERE ARE SHORTCOMINGS IN YOUR WORK. IT NO LONGER BECOMES A MATTER OF "oh my god my skins are so bad ill just pay for one" AND INSTEAD TURNS INTO "ok so i screwed up where the ears go, i'll keep in mind to resolve that on my next skin." DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK SKINNERS FOR ADVICE; WE LIKE GIVING ADVICE. IT FEELS GOOD FOR US.

ALSO, YOU WILL GET FASTER AT SKINNING THE MORE YOU DO IT. THE MOST TIME CONSUMING PART OF SKINNING IS THE TRIAL AND ERROR IT TAKES TO GET YOUR SHAPES AND COLOURS RIGHT; IF YOU SPECIFICALLY PURSUE GETTING THEM RIGHT, YOU'LL GET FASTER QUICKER. ALSO KEEP IN MIND THAT IN MANY CASES, OTHER SKINNERS HAVE ALREADY DONE THE WORK FOR YOU. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO CO-OPT OR ADAPT TECHNIQUES IN YOUR OWN WORK.

HERE ARE SOME LINKS TO SKINNING RESOURCES I HAVE MADE IN THE PAST THAT YOU MAY FIND USEFUL:

• Powerful x 18
    • Like x 2
    • Cuddles! x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
  2. Ailethi

Ailethi neighborhood milf lover

this is so aggressive and I love it. thank you

• Educated Educated x 1
  3. Chrothic

Chrothic Newsman

stop yelling at me )':

• Constructive Constructive x 1
  4. Bunemma

Bunemma guinea pig gremlin Staff Member World2

?????????????????????????????????????????????

why are you calling me out on twitter dot com

5. AtticCat

AtticCat haeksen van regalia Supremium

please calm down dad ):

6. YunYun

YunYun cat girls nya nya nya

p-plea sobs se stop sobs yelling at me waaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh ;^(

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kamamie

Kamamie yeet

I support and endorse this message, gremlin father

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Altalar

Altalar has Rabies

I still can’t skin but thanks

• Powerful Powerful x 1
  9. SnashuuPomaymay

SnashuuPomaymay lol die

ok karkat vantas

10. AWildRhia

AWildRhia Basement Goblin

the little voice in my head aggressively screamed this at me as I read it out. I love it. thank you.

11. BeetrootSalad

BeetrootSalad the gremlin Supremium
    1. House von Drachenburg

THANK YOU CONNOR I APPRECIATE THESE SKIN TIPS AND I’LL REMEMBER TO REMEMBER THIS GUIDE TO WHOEVER THE FUCK ELSE WANTS TO START SKINNING CAUSE THIS WAS HONESTLY REALLY HELPFUL

12. DrHasagi

DrHasagi Just a guy

"Wot makes me a good skinner? IF I WAS A BAD SKINNER, I WOULDN'T BE SITTIN' HERE DISCUSSIN' IT WID YA, WOULD I?!"