Character Writing Story: Character Death

Discussion in 'Roleplay Discussion' started by CainsTedTalk, Mar 30, 2020.

1. CainsTedTalk

CainsTedTalk Desert Creatures go brrr

So, this is a flash back from the past. A while ago there was a forum post detailing "How do you want your character to die." That forum post blew up, and I'm reviving it now. This is a simple prompt but how do you see your characters death and how would you write it.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
  2. Lly2

Lly2 and lly1

Probably a common answer, but I'd like for Marcus Blackadder to die in the defence of his family.

He's a loyal family man, but an absent father. He's spent a life in and out of the military and guard work, and his first partner passed away without him nearby as a result of this during his early twenties. He's someone that has always avoided close personal relationships since in fear of something like that happening again, however in his recent history before arriving in Regalia he started a family with a Velheim, Selvie, culminating in a marriage and three children.

Initially he tried to avoid returning to his old work and to find a career as a civilian, but he's growing old and has no marketable skills other than his swordsmanship, and so he's returned to work as a bodyguard; this means he's absent from home a lot of the time yet again, always with the promise that he'll quit his work soon to settle down.

I think if he were to die doing his job, never having spent as much time as he would have liked with his family, it would be a shame. If he has to die unnaturally, I'd love for it to happen unrelated to his career as a soldier - beside his wife and sons, after retiring.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HereticTakao

HereticTakao dark spirited demidevil

Aye that was my thread I think. Nice.

Gwelurin Vaell'aer: I would like her to die of natural causes/old age. It's sort of ironic because of the impulsive and erratic lifestyle she leads. If that can't be obtained, then I'd like her to sacrifice herself for the greater good, despite how cliche that is.
    Luz Maroto: Logically he would die of some sort of overdose, or alcohol poisoning. Though I'd rather him battling some giant monster, taking out himself and the monster.
    Kabili Tordove: Honestly I dunno for him. I'll come back to that later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
  4. SevenBirds

SevenBirds Phantasmal and Resplendent

Oooh, interesting prompt!

Hmm... Well, Alasdair is a pretty cautious lad and tends to stay well away from danger if he's able, so he probably has a better chance of having a long life than some. That said, he does have a strong protective instinct, so there's a decent chance that he might end up dying while protecting somebody. But storywise, I'd rather that he live long enough to go back to his family and to fully forgive himself, however long that might take. He's not looking for some grand or glorious ending, and I'm not really looking for that either.

Faran... Again, she doesn't really get into a lot of fights, but she's way too curious and impulsive for her own good sometimes. Probably she would die from poking her head into someplace she didn't belong (honestly, I'm just glad she's not gone poking around the Rift yet... much.), or from getting in a fight with someone she thought was a bully, and didn't pay attention to the fact that they were bigger than her and more heavily armed, so. As far as what I would be interested in, I think it's kind of the opposite of Al - I think it would be cool for her to meet her end while on some grand adventure or making a great discovery or something.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CainsTedTalk

CainsTedTalk Desert Creatures go brrr

I'll add my own too this since I didn't have time to attach it to the thread earlier, also wrote a non cannon story via google doc link because I felt inspired:
    Joshua Boyd: I can see Joshua's death as neither peaceful nor pleasant. Boyd spent his life hurting others, as a Darkmark sellsword, a vampire, a dragon possessed terrorist and finally a Arken Worshiper. They'res no doubt he'll see his end either by the sword or the gallows.
    Markus Haagenvig: Marks death is a little bit more tricky to put on paper, he's Velheim and notably not a Unionist. He's spent his youth in Nobility and Aristocracy and became a Knighted Sworn Brother of the Great Oak lodge. While an honorable death on the battlefield is a large possibility, I can also imagine him dying of natural causes. I'll probably write a story for him at some point.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. _GoldWolf_

_GoldWolf_ Regalian Lesser Noble

Aelfric Harhold: Since Aelfric is very old, I wouldn't see him dying to any injuries or anything like that. He would likely die peacefully in his sleep. He could also go out with a heart attack or something like that, maybe an illness that got the best of him.