Character Study: What Do Your Characters Have In Common?

Discussion in 'Roleplay Discussion' started by Batel_, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Batel_

Batel_ Magical Batel

I always thought that this would be an interesting question, one that I have thought of and asked myself before, especially again recently. These similarities can be anything from aesthetics to personality to skills.

[​IMG]

For example, my two current characters, Kamaria Ahmed and Se-ing’ha. Both female, as I always play female characters. The first is average-ish/taller-ish in height, while the second is quite short. They both do combat in some way, but are more on the slightly-better-than-average side instead of masters of their combat type. Both athletic in build and low in body fat as well, which I often do. Can ya blame me?

Kamaria is a big nerd, and is very curious of the more peculiar things around her. Se-ing’ha is curious of anything new, having only lived in Dexai before and having only traveled to a few different ports attached to Farah’deen. They can both be expressive in their body language, Se-ing’ha more positive or neutral-y so, while Kamaria can be neutral, curious, or judgemental. But both depending on the situation of course, can vary.

Their ages are similar too, being 27 and 29. Some reason for that I will admit, is for points, but I also think both ages work for the characters. Both having some experience and honing of their own crafts, but also still in some processes of learning. Aesthetics wise similarities.. eh, not really. But they both like wearing robes, I guess. And are both from the East and further East. One character does sorcery, while the other very much dislikes magic. Yeah. And both technically are introverts, but neither are antisocial.

Oh. And I almost forgot. Yeah. They both have dark brown eyes. Yeah. Cue the song. Me too.

And welp, that was my comparison example. Feel free to below do comparisons of your own characters. Current, shelved, or from across other roleplay platforms, here is the place to share this questions answers! ​

• Winner Winner x 8
  2. Gwyndo

Gwyndo Scottish Egg

Anri was a villain and Manus was a character I really tried to have be a good stand up lad.

Both had this strong sense of justice and honour in common, even if Anri's was a little skewed.

3. AtticCat

AtticCat haeksen van regalia

Azra and Winifred are both “justified criminals”, neither accept any blame for anything they do.

Haeddi and Lavinia both are zero reason in people disliking them and get SUPER sad if people aren’t their friend. ):

Almost all of my characters ever are impulsive because it’s my way of combatting “never getting involved”. Can’t be uninvolved if the character is always throwing themselves into situations??

4. FeralGayWalnut

FeralGayWalnut Lesbian Worst Enemy

Will do this when I’m at my computer <3

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. ASickRat

ASickRat Bane of Europe

They're both Anglian and Turall bladesmen :/
    Cedric Of Turrent
    Clinton J Parlow

6. skullpanda90

skullpanda90 Sleeping Extraordinaire

Sylvi and Nox both can have some nasty mischievous streaks. I think the idea of causing trouble or stirring the pot adds to rp, and makes it fun when appropriate, so I enjoy it when I get to toss some trouble making or simple teasing. Both are also incredibly curious and nosy, which gives me a chance to delve into others characters and have some more fun.

Although, all my characters have a reserved sense to them, as if you have to get to know them to know who they really are and to learn their secrets. Sort of like a treasure box. One day I shall play a 100% open and honest character. One day.

7. Rochelle_

Rochelle_ not-so-hidden dragon

All Im gonna say is that I have an affinity for thicc women and it shows.

• Powerful Powerful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tiaq

Tiaq e girl extraordinaire

Nehm'ra and Taendross are both loving idiots, white-haired, and can either be very nice, or 'i'll kick your teeth down your throat'.

9. Speedl0rd

Speedl0rd getting closer

all of my characters have some sort of mental deficiency in one way or another because i'm stupid. they're also always rats.

• Powerful Powerful x 1
  10. TheBearistotle

TheBearistotle W O R M

Generally more "Down and dirty" characters, they usually are more laborious and physically capable characters. Although all unique in what they are, they all tend to revolve around some type of supremacy factor almost, that they're the best as they are and nothing can rightfully entirely compete against their given abilities. Their egos tend to be massive.

... Wait hold on

• Powerful Powerful x 1
  11. KK134

KK134 Regalian Pioneer

Event holding characters. That's the only common thread I can think of. The 3 of them are so different.

12. TrashCanFicus

TrashCanFicus Kathar Queen

All of my characters have blue eyes, most often light blue.

13. SleepyIsVerySlep

SleepyIsVerySlep Socialite Doctor

I can only make girl characters. Is it a problem? Maybe. Idk. They share blonde hair though, cuz blonde is best. They also both have a kind attitude, but for different reasons.

14. Luxus07

Luxus07 Draconic Mercenary

all my characters tend to sing cheeky re-worded versions of retro songs. one of them even has an electric guitar going for it.

15. leichendame

leichendame Regalian Pioneer

Bastards, the whole lot of them.
    Also dead parents.

16. AlphaInsomnia

AlphaInsomnia Inexplicable Explicative

All morally gray.

17. cosmoons

cosmoons cosmonaut

My current character and my second, WIP character are very different and very similar at the same time.

Skyler, my main, is Fin'Ullen Altalar with dark hair, pale skin, and blue eyes. He is very wry and dresses in muted colors. Skyler is bisexual, and internally neutral good.

Art, my WIP character, is Ailor with light hair, pale skin, and blue/green eyes. He is very wry and dresses in more flashy colors. Art is gay, and internally neutral evil.

18. evilyami

evilyami how will this affect the trout population

This is less of an answer and more something I think about time-to-time: but every character is a piece of the player in some way. Of course, that's not to say that some evil shitbag character is you, because obviously that's not true (unless...?), but maybe that evil shitbag character has high empathy for animals, like you. Maybe you don't even share the same foods they like, but you know how enthused the character is about good food because of how enthused you are about it.

In order to get into character of our roleplay puppets, we have to be able to resonate with them on some level. Some level of empathic understanding to really bring the character to life - to really get into their headspace!

However, it also sometimes tends to have a reverse effect. If you play a bratty, hateful character for a long time that you really get into character on, you might find yourself at one point having a more toxic thought, and catch yourself going "Why did I think that?." If you play a goody two-shoes farming happy Cielothar, you might find yourself being more generous and thoughtful with your actions than usual.

Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone. Some people are extremely good at completely dissociating from their character in every regard and can act without replicating any bit of Method implementation or having any relatable characteristic. I kind of went on a ramble there.

Erethysia and I can go on tangents for a long period of time.