Character Study; Letters And Names

Discussion in 'Roleplay Discussion' started by GRIST_, Aug 8, 2020.

1. GRIST_

GRIST_ The Antagonist Premium

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hi, I’m writing this from my phone, but I’m curious now and have to put this out.

I’m challenging you, old player or new to look at all your characters. Characters you played without apps, with apps or even apps you wrote but never used. I’m not sure if I’m the only one that has all these character apps that I wrote but never used..

Now I want you to look at their first name and the first letter of their name. Now take out the alphabet and note down their name based on that first letter. How many character names can you match to a letter? Answer the question below after you find out!
    • How many letters of the alphabet have you used for first names?
    • What letter do you use the most for character first names?
    • Find some of your favorite names used by others and tell us why you like them so much.
    Example: For those of you who don’t understand what I mean the list will be something like this.
    A - Avilda
    B - Bera
    C - Cetina
    D -
    E - Estlin
    Ex.

[​IMG]
    My results: I’ve used 12 letters of the alphabet for my character names! With 26 characters overall. (I made a lot of apps for fun ok.)
    • The top beginning letter I’ve used for names is E! I’ve used five character names starting with E and I actually played all these characters as well.
      • Estlin, Elora, Egneth, Eragon, Eloise.
    • The following up letters I’ve used that tied for second were A and S, which both had four names each to them.
      • Avilda, Aya, Angse, Angela.
      • Saen, Saphira, Subria, Saelethil.
    • For those curious the rest of the letters were B, C, F, I, M, N, R, T and U.
      • Bera.
      • Cael, Cetina.
      • Feln, Farhana.
      • Isabella.
      • Merith, Miguel.
      • Naelin.
      • Remi.
      • Till, Tanfu.
      • Umina.
    * I shortened some of the names for ease of writing.
    My Favorite Character Names: There’s a lot of cool names that I love but here are two of my favorites.
    • @fantuinn | Leufred is a really cool name, I’ve always liked it. It’s just a very unique name that makes a statement and that’s what I like about it.
    • @microwavemmm | Irel is a name Id steal in a heartbeat, it’s pretty simple but interesting and fun. Hand it over.
      • Other favorites that I won’t tag for: Rennyn, Valarosta, Faust and Sigrid.
    [​IMG]
    << You DON’T have to list out each name like I did. if you don’t want to share. You can pick to just tell us the top letter to use or even just to call out some names you really like from other characters. Pick what works best for you! >>

I hope this brings you down memory lane a little and brings a little light into someone elses day!

• Winner Winner x 10
  2. Kingdom56

Kingdom56 Only if being a meme-dealer was a real profession.

For me, the top letters I've used are probably L or X! Thought names that started out with those kinds of letters rolled off the tongue well. I mean, maybe not X, but X is just a cool letter so.

• Powerful Powerful x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Yurs

Yurs real life catgirl

Not including Nicknames or Aliases, my most common letter is 'A':
    • Aiolos, Apella
    • Jabar
    • Lemillennian
    • Pelimiera
    • Qalhata
    Only doing Nicknames or Aliases, my most common letter is 'S':
    • Cal
    • Fortissimo
    • Lemley
    • Salaryman, Sunny
    Name Favorites:
    @Lizmun I'm a huge fan of his aliases and how they always manage to stand out as extremely recognizable. A few notable examples come to mind, like 'Yarrow' or 'The Nameless One', but it's a common trend I've seen and really appreciate.
    @slurmancer I like how simple but neat his character's names are. 'Marzipan' and 'Buck' are both great at immediately conveying what the character is all about, and I really dig that quality among them.
    @Ded Jok Kuzma balls.

• Powerful Powerful x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  4. DedJok

DedJok skilled in ways beyond your feeble understanding Staff Member Lore2

Stanley Conagra
    Denzel Waywood
    Kuzmich Mlyatshniydom Ustinra Pankovich
    Clinton Sawyer
    Each name I think is pretty varied, with the running trend being simple things that're easy to say. I prefer simple names over elaborate ones, what can I say. In that same line I'm a fan of more shorthand names like Anya or Cal.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
  5. CyberMo01

CyberMo01 Not a Robot

My Characters Names:
    For my characters full names, no letter really is used more than another. That is intentional, as I did try to vary my characters names.
    • Hijna'cieli
    • Jahnallyah
    • Ayea'thlin
    • Theoblahblahblah
    • Rullis
    • Caji’illynaieo
    • Selreth’thlirr
    For my characters nicknames, the same thing happened and no one letter is used more than the other.
    • Cieli
    • Nallia
    • Ayda
    • Theo
    • Quinn
    • Kilyn
    • Selreth
    My favorite names:
    Leironse @Follower I really like the IC lore behind Leironse's name! I think that it's a neat way to explain a characters alias.
    Nym'vrae @Katiesc I also like how Nym's name works, with how part of it can be used as a nickname. I think it's a cool thing to do with an Altalar name, since they tend to be so long and drawn out.

Other names that I like, but don't really have an explanation for:
    Cyrillian @PuffyPigeon , Susan @Sozzer , and Seraphina @Walnoodle

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Thank You! x 1
    • Powerful x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  6. AtticCat

AtticCat haeksen van regalia

hahaha cowards
    I have 17 characters that I played at some point for a good amount of time + 2 non-Massivecraft characters that will be included.

With First Names, the results are:
    A | Antonia, Azra
    E | Era
    H | Haeddi
    J | Jini, Juliette, Justiana
    K | Kassandra, Kerres
    L | Lavinia
    M | Marie, Merina, Mondani
    N | Noelle
    R | Ramona, Rudy
    S | Siselle
    T | Theresa
    W | Winifred
    According to this, my top two letters are [ J ] and [ M ], with following letters as [ R ], [ A ], and [ K ].

With Last Names, the results are:

A | Andino, Athios
    B | Baequindlin
    E | (min) Eazim
    H | Haagenvig, Harhold, Hath, Howlester
    J | Jouhari
    L | (van) Linau, Locci, Loverdos
    M | Marie, Marth
    R | (von) Rahm
    S | Serre
    T | Taliesin, Thiel, Torlar
    V | Vauclain, Viduggla
    W | Wodenstaff
    Obviously some of these names are not my surnames, but my highest ones are [ H ], [ L ], and [ T ].

Additionally, my favorite character names in general have been:
    Azra min Eazim | Her name just brings me a lot of happiness, but that might just be from that fact that she is one of my most beloved characters, despite my on and off activity as her. I also love the fact that every one associates the great Farah'deen desert with my character now lol

Justiana Loverdos | A character that I never really explored much, I loved her name because it was a play off of 'Justinian' due to her being an Etosian. Loverdos is also a super cute last name. Maybe I'll bring her back eventually?

Theresa van Linau | Theresa in general is probably one of my favorite names (right after the name 'Ruth', which I haven't used on a character yet), but I also just think it rolls well with the surname connected to it.

Haeddi Harhold | My child herself, I love Haeddi's name because it is very unique, despite being a very real name in history (check Bishop Haedde lmao). Additionally, I like the double initials (H.H.) and the fact that her name mirrors her father, Hengest Harhold's name with the rhythm, which - at least in my opinion - is a very interesting concept since Haeddi is likely the least like her parents out of all her siblings, yet she is the closest in name.

Saffrona | @SleepyIsVerySlep | I love the name for your Fristadvlom, I think it's very memorable and fitting considering Saffrona has a lot of basis with food and cooking. (Considering her name is from the word 'Saffron', I believe?)

Mazielani | @AWildRhia | In general, I love the name Mazie and think it's a very lovable name, so the 'lani' half just adds extra character. (Also it reminds me of Maizey from The Hotdoga :) )

Gochnipunchni | @Gochnipunchni | Makes me hungry for gnocchi every time I see the name. Bastard

Xilthruum | @Magivore | Excuse me, this name is amazing. I think it has a very fantastical element that is perfect for a Undercity Skeleton Man. Also, it's fun to say.

Other First Names | Vulmar, Kristoph, Novellia, Shane, Kavia, Valarosta
    Surnames I Like | Tordove, du Brierust, Latimer, Caranis, Razavi

I would like to clarify, the reason I love most of these names is just because they're fun to say. :')

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    #6 AtticCat, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  7. Lizmun

Lizmun yeah Staff Member Lore2

oh god I've had so many characters.

The ones of the names I can remember are:
    • Abigail Tucker
    • Amber Vonan
    • Azayla
    • Deha
    • Desrik
    • Gawainne (The Nameless One)
    • Lucas Twee (Lou)
    • Madison Mouse
    • Margot von Waalden
    • Mellosem Mellen-nol (which is by far one of my favorite names)
    • Mi-sung Zhao
    • Na'salliou
    • Nicolae Dalton
    • Oakley Pratt
    • Ollu'ai Eiiya-el
    • Roz Greyy
    • Saleolla
    • Sheldon Barlow
    • Sstros Al-[something I don't remember]
    • William Greyy
    • Yalathanil (Yarrow)
    • Zoe Stamontia
    The letters I use most are A, M, and S. I also really like alliteration in my names because it just makes them sound neat I guess.

My favorite names are:
    • Malruthiia (@Bunemma ), I just really like the way the name sounds
    • Xilthruum (@Magivore ) The name just sounds so fitting for a skeletal lich! Perfect blend of being, like, high fantasy and alien enough to be intimidating, but not so alien and weird that it's just silly
    • Hagmer (@Banard ) I just think Hagmer is a good name, dunno why
    • Atre (@Gwyndo ) Atre is a cool fantasy name that's also pretty short and unique.
    My favorite name of all time (not just of characters, like, real life names) is Abigail. I dunno why, I just like the way it sounds and looks. It's also the only reason why I chose that name for Abigail.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Rowet

Rowet support main Supremium

• The names of which I can remember are (I'm also doing this for non-Massive OCs):
      • Aurienne Decker
      • Hexke
      • Llewyn Omaberos
      • Johnathan Sokolowski
      • Soladon Ito (Don)
      • Mercer Kabak
      • Ruby Twee (Rubes)
      • Roxy
      • Skylar
      • Ami'llya
      • Lat'mene Helio'doros (Didn't come up with the surname)
      • Wallace Miller
      • Lyaois Komast
    • My most common letters are... L! Figures, haha, I do like that letter a lot.
    • My favorite names so far are:
      • Abigail Tucker
      • Lou
      • Qalhata Sarnai
      • Apella
      • Faust Sokolov
      • Merith Wyrmwood

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  9. Bunemma

Bunemma guinea pig gremlin Staff Member World2

I've been pretty consistent with my characters, so I don't have many different names. Names are always really important to me for the characters, and help define who they are. The letter 'M' is the only name I've ever doubled up on, nicknames excluded. Rowena is probably one of my favourite names, as it seems super dark and powerful.

B : Bernadette
    E : Emmeline
    G : Gwyneth
    I : Imgrin
    L : Leuwrenn
    M : Malruthiia, Marianne
    R : Rowena

Last name results are as followed. 'E' and 'R' are tied for the most used, though Ravenstad was something married into. Merethyl is probably my favourite last name, because it rolls off the tongue. Kade is also a good one, just because it's so short and powerful.

D : Delmotte
    E : Ellisar, var Emrys
    K : Kade
    M : Merethyl
    R : Ravenstad, Reis
    T : Typhonus

My favourite names that aren't my own are ..

⋆ Llewyn Omaberos | @Qoll | Really aesthetically and phonetically pleasing. Whimsical, but down the earth.
    ⋆ Vivana Avalorn | @OkaDoka | Vivana has always been a favourite because it's so elegant. Avalorn is funny elf name.
    ⋆ Merielle Elmaeieo | @YunYun | Maraya are always epic. Merielle is a good name and fits the lore, so it's a thumbs up from me. Meme last name tho.
    ⋆ Kendry Kade | @MonMarty | Alliteration good .. Kendry is such a prim and proper name .. really like reading it.
    ⋆ Penn Lierennth | @Lumiess | I'm biased.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. OkaDoka

OkaDoka Bottomless Pit Supervisor Staff Member Lore3

Naming List:

[A] - Asha
    [C] - Clara
    [H] - Honora
    [I] - Irmingard
    [L] - Lieva, Lirimellaia
    [M] - Marina
    [R] - Rarath
    [S] - Sibeal
    [V] - Vivana

This is just a random spattering of a few of the many characters I have had over the past five or so years. Of which Asha, Clara and Lieva were in the same RP, Honora and Sibeal were in the same RP, and Irmingard, Lirimellaia, and Vivana are in the same RP. I do not have a tendency towards a particular letter, but my mind is very syllabic. Vi-va-na. Ma-ri-na. Ho-no-ra. I like names with this sort of rhythmic diction.

My favorite names would have to be...

@Athelois | Valarosta. There is something elegant and precise in this name, but it is still sharp, and you remember there is a Kathar behind it.
    @MonMarty | Griffin. Bird names. They just get me like that, man. Always wanted to use the name Griffin or Griff somewhere.
    @fantuinn | Leufred. Germanic but unique and independently invented. Always appreciated that.
    @Finlaggan | Xaella. I very rarely find Kathar nomenclature which is convincingly Elven while still being distinct from potential Altalar. Somehow, Xaella does that just right.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. YunYun

YunYun cat girls nya nya nya

A - Amiri’enya Si’eria Ovve’laen Cre’syara’teri Lyra'salen (Miri)
    B - Benito dei Nicastro/de Massa
    C- Cecily Bagshaw (Maggie Bagshaw)
    G - Gahrfaj'inehet Bashraz'zouri (Gahrfaji)
    L - Lady Saleté
    M - Meirelle Elmaeieo
    P - Phaedra Mikaladis
    S - Synne Lykke (Ce'Annyah Saae'li'hn)

I typically use more 'M' names rather than anything else. A lot of my characters started out by having the possibility to be named 'Mei' then I find something better (Miri, Meirelle) . On that note, even Cecily had a 'M' name before I changed it. Though, my personal favourite is Ce'Annyah. Simply because I based it off of Seanna then Suji said no, so I made it Ceanna, Suji said no again, then it became Ce'Annyah shortened to Cece.

My Favourite Names:
    @thundermember - Carina ‘Cherry’ Sireillan - I've always loved the name Cherry. Fruity!
    @mochalattes - Lorelei - Generally just a unique, and simple name that if it belongs to someone it makes everything they do distinct. The way it sounds seems like a flowery name. The sort of name that a girl lounging in a garden after just getting back from berry picking would have.
    @Yigit - Rodrigo Peirgarten - rodrigo is just such a funky little name and i love it so much.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  12. NightLight12

NightLight12 TheRiceFieldman

C: Clause, Cheh
    D: Dogma
    L: Leon

I dont really have a pattern, i just think of the most common names for medieval characters and look through the wiki if there is a specific way to write a characters name. I think i like the letter C alot, but mostly i just go name the characters by their personality

Favorites that arent my own
    @Banard (Hagmer) = This names has some kind of strong feeling to it, its a powerful name.
    @Yigit (Dothraen)= I like this name because it just rolls better and considering that he is ancient character the name works.
    @MantaRey (Gwentyh)=This name just speaks a good hearted character like she is.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. JResurrected

JResurrected Broken On the Stone

D- Dubale Abez
    D- Duke Altrov
    H- Heinrich Bet’hrel
    K- Kurt Smit
    L- Lim Brick
    L- Lucas Pernum
    M- Mundichar Kila’awe
    R- Rakael Fel’duun
    T- Tartuin Fel’duun

Over the five years I have been involved in roleplay, these are the characters I have created. Despite differing levels of character development, each of them have been played in one setting or another!

MOST COMMON LETTER: D and L tie for most common letter; however, Dubale is a revision of Duke Altrov, so I would say the Ls take the cake.

FAVORITE NAMES
    :
    @CocoaCherry | Asterlea Flutre | Still don't know how to pronounce her last name. Asterlea, reminiscent of "star light", makes me think of the same.
    @Lizmun | Abigail Tucker | Just wholesome.
    @rimacutem | Wulfric Grofsmid | Because I can't imagine anything more Germanic.
    @mochalattes | Lorelei Luxford | The consonance is appreciated. Lore/LIE/ /LUCKS/ford, sounds like the trouble maker she is.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  14. rimacutem

rimacutem Local dwarf

J - Justinian Pomeroy
    A - Austri Ironhand
    W - Wulfric Grofsmid
    V -Vargas
    M - Mateo
    I - Istrin
    B - Bruno
    I always take the stereotypical name of a race because I just can't be bothered with coming up with something original. So no pattern appeared

Abigail Tucker
    Xilthrum
    I just find them neat

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. Epsilyon

Epsilyon Poster-Girl of the Apocalypse Supremium

Not including Nicknames or Aliases, my most common letter is 'A' and ‘C’:
    A grand total of 9 sheeted characters that I can remember.

• [A] Anise du Clermont, Atria Tyrannian
    • [I] Imara al-Qatani
    • [C] Carolyne Typhonus, Cerysia Vahanasi
    • [P] Phytolei Valrunn
    • [L] Lejosia Vatolei
    • [G] Giselle Typhonus
    • [S] Sihara al-Vahas
    Only doing Nicknames or Aliases, my most common letter is 'A' and ‘I’:
    • [A] Atri (Atria), Anne (Anise), Aisha Iru-Kaisel (Lejosia)
    • [I] Immy, Ims, Irene Jovenmier (Imara)
    • [P] Pyrra (Phytolei)
    • [L] Lady Lynn (Carolyne), Lorhas Ripley (Atria)
    • [R] Ridley (Sihara)
    • [K] Khavesi Tras-Mahdan (Imara)
    • [C] Chemyle Drache (Carolyne)
    • [E] Ella (Giselle)
    Only doing middle names, my most common letter is 'N' and ‘K’:
    • [N] Nasira (Imara), Nihendel (Cerysia)
    • [K] Kaveh (Imara), Kasimira (Giselle)
    • [F] Fenhasi (Lejosia)
    • [M] Mor’tas-Lovos (Phytolei)
    • [L] Lorhas (Atria)
    • [S] Savaul (Anise)
    • [V] Verai (Sihara)
    • [A] Annora (Carolyne)
    Only doing last names (including aliases), my most common letter is 'V':
    • [C] (du) Clermont
    • [D] Drache
    • [T] Typhonus, Tyrannian, Tras-Mahdan
    • [Q] (al) Qahtani
    • [V] (al) Vahas, Valrunn, Vatolei, Vahanasi
    • [J] Jovenmier
    • [R] Ripley
    • [I] Iru-Kaisel
    Name Favorites:
    I will admit that irl I end up mispronouncing a lot of character names in general, but bear with me.
    @Lizmun - Tucker, because I like the sharpness when I call her by her last name.
    @Bunemma - Mal Practice because I absolutely love the nickname.
    @Athelois - Valarosta Ino-Femunn because I like how the full name rolls off the tongue.
    @Winterless - I’ve never seen the name Wilvamair before and I like how it’s pronounced.
    @Finlaggan - Both for the old Velstadt and the Lord of Graves title, but I like Xaella now too.

Bonus Round - Username Favorites:
    Finlaggan (who is fin and why is he lagging??)
    WaterDruppel (you know why)
    Patsie, SpunSugar (yum)
    Lumiess, Athelois (again for pronunciation)
    esotericCorvid (self explanatory)
    fantuinn (fancy phantom time)
    HydraLana (oddly satisfying to say)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. GRIST_

GRIST_ The Antagonist Premium

I forgot to mention that, the types of names I like are very long names that can be made into nicknames! And also-

I was Inspired to do last names from the responses cause I was curious, I left out 5 characters because 3 I couldn’t remember the last name of and 2 are twins/son.

• My most used last name letter is M and L, lots of elven names.
      • Lae’vaessua, Lelleasin, Lae’ssoi.
      • Merilon, Miramonte, Mensy.
    • In second comes A, S and D.
      • Aithne, Amand.
      • Sosa, Syldan.
      • du Brierust, dei Sena.
    • Lastly I used a collection of E, F, G, H, I, P and U.
      • el-Alia.
      • Faerthurin.
      • Gileenard.
      • Havledal.
      • Ignaard.
      • Parora.
      • Ulenana.
    Thank you to everyone who’s responded so far! I’ve loved reading these!

• Powerful Powerful x 1
  17. MantaRey

MantaRey repairing the gens Staff Member Lore2

[A] Ania
    [C] Clarice (a very old character that I tried out in 2017? with an old player. Actually kind of miss her so I thought I'd include her)
    [G] Grevaris/Gwenyth
    [K] Kaja/Katriane

Names that I like:
    Genevieve (@SpunSugar )
    Jehenna (@baellaa )
    Hengest (@Jonificus )
    Aesling & Ash (@Bellarmina )
    Quin (@TheBearistotle )
    Percival (@Mooffins )

• Educated Educated x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1