Character Idea's And What To Do Now.

The_Holy_Raptor

Lord of the secret 12th Dungeon.
Reaction score
so I've recently ground to a halt on the ol' rp side of things. As in I've just been sitting around in events not actually participating and just running around Regalia. I seriously want to stop this as soon as possible so I can start roleplaying actively again.
Now I know it's my characters, the fact that they either make zero sense or that I just, don't enjoy playing as them
I am going to start taking inspiration and using my free time to think rather than play but, what else..
Lets break my problems down.
1) My race choices.
So I've always had this huge problem picking a race/species to play as in video games and the likes. I normally go with wackier races, if I can cat people are a big yes (not because i'm a furry but because they always have the best racial backgrounds) or goblins, and in that rare occasion the game is flipping amazing, undead/skeletons.
Now on massive I primarily try Ailor or human subspecies, a couple of the odd magus, and some gorr. But, I seem to be picking ones I don't enjoy. Orcs, bland, I don't enjoy their, mentality as a race.. the human races are pretty much standard and I don't enjoy (although wulong seem cool but I've never, clicked with them, I also need a lot more info on them in some areas) the magus races just don't intrest me at all.. Now I know your race doesn't dictate personality, in most cases anyway but it does dictate the way others perceive you. And since the majority of people are ailor or Nelfin these days, you usually tend to get the odd looks or the sneers. I want help deciding on a good race to play.. (skin ideas are also helpful for some of the more difficult to skin races) but I don't want to be, Url, or Orc, or like chien or songaskian because I don't connect with their races feelings.
2) My personality
Ok, this is short and sweet. I find I cant make a fitting personality, I tend to fall into grey areas depending on my IRL mood instead of my characters mood, so sometimes my chars can be super sad because I am sad.. I pretty much need help on, archtype listing and, help creating a good three dimensional being.

I find it hard to group much else.. But I feel a great deal of things aren't going right in roleplay and I really want a nice, kind helping hand..
If anyone has any suggestions please tell me, even basic character plots would be good.
I don't mind you telling me how wrong my characters are rn, and how they can become better, just take it easy on the whole, this is wrong basis.

I don't know really how to help you with races, I've always stuck to Ailor or Nelfin because I just have (generally because I'm gif obsessed and you can't find gifs of those other races most of the time). But for personality, I recommend you look at this website. It's really detailed and well thought out, it can help you find a personality you would enjoy portraying and just tweak it a little to fit exactly how you'd like.

I don't know really how to help you with races, I've always stuck to Ailor or Nelfin because I just have (generally because I'm gif obsessed and you can't find gifs of those other races most of the time). But for personality, I recommend you look at this website. It's really detailed and well thought out, it can help you find a personality you would enjoy portraying and just tweak it a little to fit exactly how you'd like.
very useful website, thanks

I wish there were more options for variations of races. For example, I like Vilatae and Undead, but I feel like Undead is very vague and not fleshed out in lore as far as how to play them goes. Perhaps some more afflictions or something that varies the look and mentality of the races, with various buffs and specific weaknesses would be good. We have Vampirism, Dullofall, Vilatae and Undead. But Dullo and Vampirism are functionally identical, mainly being a vampire-esk option for Yanar.

Maybe having Undeadism and Mutants being subdivided further into a few unique categories we can pick from with minor tweaks and differences in how they are made. For example, 'Natural Undead' vs 'Induced Undeath' , 'Void Mutations' vs 'Exist Mutations' vs 'Natural Mutations' or w/e .

More variety in looks and feels to slap on characters to spice it up.

A bit half-baked so sorry if its all vague, just tossing stuff around.

On the actual topic, sorry I kind of got on a tangent: When I have been in ruts in the past, I have always tried to make characters that are very different to my main. Foe example, my Main as always been Conf Ladveer. When I got bored the first time, I made Amar, who was pragmatic and blunt, loyal and dedicated to the cause of Unionism. When I got bored the second time, I went the opposite direction and made an angry, foul mouthed, snarky 4'11 cielothar who takes no shite from nobody. ETC.

It might be good to just try to make something thats nearly the opposite of you and/or your current characters. Even if it feels a little cliche.