Character App Skill

Discussion in 'Help Central' started by LadyCorrin, Jun 30, 2020.

1. LadyCorrin

LadyCorrin Lost in thoughts. But more lost physically.

Dear Massive staff,

I am trying to find which skill would be the one associated with merchant based skills such as persuasion? I looked into the criminal skill of con, but that didnt seem to match what I am trying to make.

So I was curious if there was a school or skill type that I may of overlooked?

Athena

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. ZiggyStarDusted

ZiggyStarDusted Beware: Will explain deep Bionicle lore to you.

Honestly you can just get the proficiencies relevant the particular service/items your merchant character is selling. As in for example, I have an alchemist snake oil salesman- I have a couple points in alchemy to justify that.

Otherwise, perhaps a few points in linguistics so your character may know a few languages and be more fluent in making sales.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. LadyCorrin

Yeah. I took a few points into linguistics for the extra languages for the cross-racial sales. But yeah, I was planning to go general merchant. But I guess I could put some points into types of product, so that I can at least sell the objects with some sort of knowledge of what I am selling.

Thanks for the help. =3

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. ZiggyStarDusted

General rule of thumb, you can work and do general shop/ businessRP without having a proficiency, seeing as it’s just your character selling an item. like for example the copious amounts of characters who work as bartenders, or the ones that work in an antique store none of them have a prof for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. LadyCorrin

Fair enough. I just wanted to be thorough.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. ZiggyStarDusted

Discord is ZiggyStarDusted#9372 if you’ve got any other random questions you don’t want to wait on answers for. Or you can msg me in game idm.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. FireFan96

FireFan96 On Holiday, will be back July 6th Staff Member Lore2
    1. House von Drachenburg

Charisma/persuasion is not a proficiency and solely relies on a player's own irl competency to pull off.

8. LadyCorrin

That is fair enough I guess.

9. SnashuuPomaymay

SnashuuPomaymay E-Girl Extraordinaire Staff Member World2

if you wanna scam people by selling products of higher value than what your character makes, give them conning rogue skill.
    if you want them to make their own product, i recommend looking at the prof page and selecting which things would prove most useful. for example, if your character trades food and drinks, give them points in culinary arts. if your character sells jewelry, music boxes, clockwork and other products that require more detailed metalwork to create, give them finecraft prof points. if they sell weapons and armor, give them metallurgy prof points. if they had their own tradeship, give them maritime prof points. etc, it's really all up for improvisation. there isn't really a charisma / persuasion based proficiency, aside from the proficiencies listed in the study proficiency category; however, those prof points can't often be put to use in rp, they're only able to be put to use in progression stories your character plays a part in. hope this helps!