Captain Nightshade

Discussion in 'Character Sheets' started by gdubrox, Feb 4, 2021.

1. gdubrox

gdubrox

Basic Information

Name: Oumar Koné, but Captain Nightshade is his nickname because of the time he spent in a Florai. He has also been called Ole’ Two Face and the One Eyed Snake.

Age: 189, although he has a slowed ageing so this would translate to around 63.

Race: The Right half of his body is Songaskian and the left half is Slizzar.

Sexuality: Straight, but as he has become older he has started caring less about sex and romance.

Preferred Weapon: Dagger, he has one that he claims he stole and is Nightsilver but nobody believes him. Even if it was, it would be too impure to be of any value.

Inventory
    • Some old counterfeit gold coins
    • Telescope
    • Impure nightsilver dagger
    • Two steel knives
    • An old Bookies Journal
    • Bottle of Rum

Skill Information

He is over 45 and therefore has 50 available skill points. He is also a Halfling and gets 2 race skill points, but does not use them. He also gets 10 Hobby skill points and 10 Talent Skill points

Dagger Combat: 15
    Fist Combat: 5

Captain Command: 5
    Dextrous Rogue: 8
    Burgling Rogue: 6
    Conning Rogue: 5
    Perception Training: 10

Sailing Art: 10
    Mixology Art: 6

Body Shape

Physical Stat: 25
    Athletic Body Shape with Moderate Body Fat

Languages

Sofaal (Learned in childhood)

Common (Learned throughout his travels)

Modern Atalar (Learned by sailing with Yanar)

It is important to note that he does not speak Zasta even though he is part Slizzar. This is because he is not a true Slizzar and was raised by Songaskian instead.

Special Traits/Spells/Mutations

Mutation: Childbirth mutation left him both Slizzar and Songaskian, which is normally impossible, and half of his body is covered in scales. However, he cannot transform the way a Slizzar could and he cannot make his scales go away.

It is important to note that because of his mutation he cannot use the following Slizzar abilities
    • Birth form
    • Glamor form
    • Perfect form
    • Any Nest Slizzar abilities
    • Beseech the Deep
    And he cannot use the following Songaskian abilities
    • Elder Horns
    • Elder Head
    • Elder Flame
    • Desert Wall
    • Shambalas Glaze
    Also, for both Elder Tail and Elder Scale his scales are not black but the same green as the scales on his Slizzar side. This means he can make his entire body covered in scales but he CANNOT make the side of his body that is permanent scaled be not scaled.

Visual Information

Right Eye Color: Amber-like orange

Left Eye Color: Cloudy and Blind

Hair color: Graying

Hair Style: Buzzed and Balding with Beard

Skin color: Dark

Clothing: Old and Used

Height: 6’5

Visual Information (Expansive)

Right side of Body: Songaskian, he has dark skin and in his youth had dark hair, which is now almost white. However, he has a beard which is more gray which covers the right side of his face. His ageing skin has wrinkles and marks.

Left side of Body: Slizzar, he is covered in green scales that cannot change their color or morph to look like someone else. Unlike his Songaskian side, his scales have not aged from when he turned 18 and still look young and new. He had an amber-like eye on this side as well but he has been blind in it for some time. A scar goes over and under this eye which is a different shade of green from the rest of his scales. He has no hair or snake-like tendrils on this side. He is far more Songaskian than he is Slizzar.

Clothes: Once being quite a wealthy man, Captain Nightshade wears old and dirty yet still expensive silk shirts and pants. However, he covers them with his battered old Seamans coat and covers the scales on his face with a desert scarf, wrapped around his head. While in the city he doesn’t wear shoes.

Voice: He talks like a crazy old pirate, using words like ‘Aye, laddie, lassie, savvy, and landlubber.’ He often uses ‘me’ instead of ‘my’ and doesn’t have the best of grammar. His voice is scruffy and deep but also pleasing, friendly, and charming.

Personality - The Core List

Character Alignment - Chaotic Neutral, although most likely more chaotic good then chaotic evil. He steals, scams, and loots but rarely kills and has oftentimes in his life helped those in need and worked for people who he believes are fighting for the right cause. Not always, of course, but as he's grown older he's grown more and more good.

Personality Type - ESFP - The Entertainer. E - He is extroverted S - He uses his five senses and thinks about what's real instead of following a big picture F - Oftentimes acts on gut feeling instead of meticulously planning P - Perceives the world as it is in the moment, is flexible, and doesn’t follow arbitrary rules.

Religion - Grew up Shambala, but hasn’t practiced in over 100 years. He has seen many religions throughout his travels, and although he believes there is some higher power or fate that controls the world he doesn’t much care who or what it is.

Weaknesses
    • Old
    • Crazy
    • Because of his mutation, many people dislike him. Not only because he is a halfling but because everyone is afraid of Slizzar
    • Is a drunk

Personality (Expansion)
    • Has become humbled by his experiences, he has been rich, poor, sober, drunk, and has traveled and seen many cultures and has had many adventures. Because of this, all he really does now is tell *somewhat true* tales of his life.
    • Because of his unique mutation, he talks like a Songaskian but has a voice in the back of his head that is Slizzar, this has led him to be somewhat crazy.
    • Mostly a happy man, he laughs a lot and likes to meet new people. He rarely holds grudges but he can be somewhat off putting to others.
    • Has seen so many different governments and wars he truly doesn’t care about politics or class.
    • At this point in his life, he does most things not to make money or to forward his position, but just because he feels like doing so. Most things he thinks of as adventures and as fun.
    • Likes to sing shanties, but that doesn’t mean he's good at it.

Relationships

Nym Xilmenor (@acescorpio) is his adoptive niece. He sailed with her parents and now took care of her when she was orphaned. She now takes care of him in his old age.

Life Story

Oumar Koné I, the glorious first King of Masaya was known for uniting the Songaskians, creating the faith of Shambala, and expanding the Masayan territory. However he had a younger brother, named Amadou Koné, who was ever jealous of his elder brother's rise to power. He often worked as an advisor and served on the council of nobility for his brother, but he wanted more power. While Oumar Koné’s conquest was still taking place, a Slizzar of unknown name infiltrated the ranks of the nobility, disguised as a Songaskian Woman named Anata, who fell in love with Amadou and married him. Originally just trying to take power for herself, Anata soon wanted to truly be with Amadou and so she tried to have a child with him. However, he did not know she was Slizzar and she had to keep it that way. She knew that when a Slizzar has a child with a non-Slizzar there will always be twins, one Slizzar and one not, and so to avoid detection she attempted to seek out magic users and doctors to try and make her children only Songaskian. A Qadir mage believed she could use her powers over the souls to merge the twins into one, and although they did merge the Songaskians fast incubation time caused the baby to be born before they could truly be one, and Anata died in childbirth. This was the birth of the first Slizzar Halflng whose complete right half was Songaskian and complete left was covered in scales, Oumar Koné II, named after his uncle.

The Songaskia are naturally accepting of all races and halflings, but even they are afraid of the Slizzar secretly taking control. Not wanting his brother to find out that he married a Slizzar and that his son was one, Amadou hid Oumar II and lied, saying he died in the birth with his mother. Because of the Slizzar ability to stop aging, and the Songaskia ability to age slowly, Oumar II grew at an exceptionally short rate, at a third the rate of a normal Ailar. Amadou remarried, and his new children grew up quicker than Oumar, and although Amadou never wanted to hurt or kill Oumar his children often bullied him, leading to one event when he lost all sight in his Slizzar eye. Eventually during the conquests of Oumar Koné I, the frontier town of Molifant was formed, and Amadou worked his way into leaving Masaya and becoming the king of Molifant. Here, Oumar Koné II was no longer in hiding, but instead was treated as a slave and a jester. Around the time he was 45, (15 in his life), he ran away from the palace and became a pauper and beggar on the streets on Halifant. He learned how to pickpocket, steal, lie, and escape as he grew up evading capture by his father. At one point, he smuggled himself onto a galleon, but was caught as a stowaway and thrown in the brig. However, the ship was captured by Songaskian Pirates, and once they saw young Oumar imprisoned, let him free and let him join their crew.

For the next 100 years, Oumar worked as a pirate, smuggler, privateer, burglar, mercenary, and bounty hunter. He never used his real name and was just called Ole’ Two-Face by his allies and the One Eyed Snake by his enemies. Being part Slizzar, he was smart in his work, and played different kingdoms and factions against each other. Oftentimes sailing for many different people and fighting for different sides of the same war, sometimes using his cunning to create peace and help people, and sometimes just to make money. This only lasted so long before he became wanted by most countries, and so he buried his treasures and hid in a Fania to avoid jail or death. He befriended many of the Yanar and soon became the captain of an all Yanar Ship, and took on the name Captain Nightshade. Two of these Yanar, Aelwyn and Folwin Xilmenor, became his good friends and had a child together. This only lasted for so long, however, as he wasn’t the greatest captain and his first mate Folwin became greedy and mutinied. Aelwyn refused to betray Nightshade and Folwin turned both of them over to the Regalian Empire, leaving Aelwyn to die and their child, Nym, to be orphaned, but Nightshade was able to escape and avoid the gallows. He took care of Nym by anonymously donating funds to the orphanage, but he couldn’t raise her as even though he was no longer pirating he was always on the run.

One day a rough storm left Nightshade Marooned for 12 years on a deserted island, and when he finally was able to hail a ship and escape they arrested him and sent him to the Emperor to be executed. To avoid execution, he gave the Emperor a map to where he buried his greatest treasures, which left Nightshade once again a pauper and a beggar, except this time on the streets in Regalia. Older and wiser now, he no longer wants to conquer the world, but just wants to live in it. These days he spends most of his time with his adoptive niece Nym, who grew up while he was marooned. He is seen all over town, with both criminals and nobles, in the sewers and the taverns, drinking and joking and telling his tall tales of faraway lands and ancient adventures. Many laugh at his jokes, but never truly believe he is what he claims. But there are those who listen to his crazy old stories and realize that after all his time spent sailing the seas, there might be some real truth to him after all.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lizmun

Lizmun yeah Staff Member Lore2

Claimed for review! Expect one within the next 48 hours.

3. gdubrox

gdubrox

Hey just a reminder I think you might have forgotten that you claimed this one. Also I'm pretty sure I did some things wrong so if you could tell me how to fix them cause I've never done something like this before.

4. Lizmun

@gdubrox Thank you for the reminder and I am SO sorry for the delay! I swore I replied, but the application must have slipped under my radar and been drowned out my my school work!

You do have a couple things wrong, let me break it down for you:

Basic Information
    - Your character cannot have one half of their body be one race and one half the other. Nor are half slizzar a thing. Howveer! You can have a slizzar parent - Slizzar always give birth to twins, and when a Slizzar gets with a non slizzar, one twin will be a full slizzar, the other twin will be a non slizzar entirely.
    - Your character cannot be over 150 without a special permission - unless they are yanar. I can give you a brief explanation why if you'd like, if not, I'll leave it at that.​
    Skill Information
    - There are no half slizzar, like I've stated, so you'd get no halfling boosts in this instance, you need to change your race.
    - Please list where your points coming from (are you spending core, talent, or hobby points?)
    -To get a non-parent language (modern altalar), you'd need to spend linguistics points
    -Halflings get no racial abilities, they get boosts from their parent races instead.
    -Songaskians will always have black scales in their dragon shift, this cannot be changed.​
    Visual Information
    -You cannot physically have half your body be slizzar and half be songaskian (I am sorry I keep bringing it up, but a lot of your application seems based around this)​
    Personality
    - No huge issues here​
    Life Story
    - You cannot have your character be connected to a major lore figure (son of the brother of the first Songaskian king) without a backstory permission.
    - The concept of the attempt to prevent slizzar twins is an interesting one, but simply doesn't fit with the lore.
    - There's a lot wrong with the life story - most of it is just centered around the fact that you can't be a half slizzar. I think you just need to rewrite it.​

The character is wildly lore incompliant, to the point I think he needs to be completely rewritten. However, since you are a new player and asked for help, I am willing to personally sit down with you and help you re-write the application. If that's not something you're willing to do, I'm going to have to reject this.

5. Lizmun

@gdubrox Hello! I need a response, if you don't provide one within a week I will have to reject this application.

6. Lizmun

@gdubrox Rejected due to inactivity.