Captain Jakkios Corvus

Discussion in 'Character Sheets' started by Jack_Castle, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Jack_Castle

Jack_Castle Rage, RAGE Against the Dying of the Light. Supremium

[​IMG]
    Captain Jakkios Corvus

Page-Divider.png
    Imagine the two main male characters from popeye and there you go.

Basic Information (Required)

Full Name: Jakkios Corvus
    Race: Alt-Anglian
    Main Ambition: Wealth
    Special Permission: Expert Turall Blades

• Jakkios has lived in Regalia for a very short time, mainly only staying for short amounts of time during shore leave, or when he is not on commission. Currently he is displaced from the fleets where he belongs, and is staying lowkey.
    • Born to a small family in a river port town in the Angle Isles they struggled to make ends meet, food was never hard to get as they could just fish for their meals. Jakkios is no stranger to poverty. He has out in the world a brother still, though his mother and father have passed away from age.
    • Jakkios wishes to cause great influence using airships and however he sees himself as a man of the people, a commoner.
    Page-Divider.png
    Skill Information (Optional)

Schools: School of Turall
    Level: Expert
    Source: Anglian School of Turall in the city of Turent Page-Divider.png
    Visual Information (Required)
    Eye Color: Teal
    Hair Color: Smokey Black
    Hair Style: Unkept hat hair and a wild and well combed side whiskers.
    Skin Color: Gray tinted tan.
    Clothing: A penny coat and a leather trifold hat.
    Height: 6’ 2”
    Weight: 190
    Body Build: Mesomorph
    Weapon of Choice: An arming sword and a short sword ;-;.
    • Standing at six feet two and weighing one hundred and ninety pounds. He is not toned but rather is still moderately strong. His skin tone is a rich pale, speckled from age. He has remained flexible and agile even in his middle age years.
    • Leather Trifold hat, dark robes and sailors attire, he keeps under his cloak his arming sword, it is not obvious to the naked eye however sometimes, though he does not intend for it, it can be seen just by chance. On his back is a boarding axe, a small tomahawk looking thing. And in his boot is a dagger. He also keeps several ledgers on him and some amount of Regals.
    • Jakkios speaks in a low and powerful voice, his speech is slow and deliberate. He has a sailor’s slurr, but can speak and understands a few laugauges, he has come to learn these through trading and talking with the various cultures. He can speak;
      • Common
      • Alt-Anglian
      • Dwarvish
    Page-Divider.png
    Personality Traits
    Hardy- Large in spirit, Jakkios exaggerates his actions to create an atmosphere of warmth and hospitality. Often beating his hand on the surface of tables and letting out loud room filling laughs. His harsh focus on hospitality often is his way of parleying with others, offering them a seat at a bar table and a drink or at his own home. He believes that if one does not take the offer they can not be trusted at all.
    Well Tempered- Not fast to anger, Jakkios has a firm grip on his temperament, willing to negotiate in the worst of times. Though in front of his buddies he will sometimes show flashes of rage toward those who insult his gang. However this anger is sparce to be found in most cases, he is voted in as captain for his demeanor rather how he might be feared.
    Steadfast- “Hold Fast Men!” he has cried many times before and will many times after whether it be on a voyage or in a arm wrestling contest. This is the positive side of his Way of Tides faith were he believes that he is protected against annihilation at sea by merely having a jar of dirt from his home land, or that gold is magic etc. He does not always turn away from danger, nor hide from the wrath of the sea, he is calm in the face of destruction so long as he has his lucky charms.
    Old Soul- Like a good drink Jakkios has improved in all things through the passage of time. His time was an older time, now long passed, his ideals are still set in the past. The way he speak it shows especially how old he is. Not many live to be fifty years old, and those who do are among a select few.
    Worldly- Having traveled all around the world, Jakkios has acquired a true sense of worldliness. He's not nearly as racist as others, though he is a tad on the sexist side, preferring to hire men over woman if he has the choose. Hes more open minded about new things and other cultures.
    Bitter- Years of warfare and servitude have left Jakkios bitter toward the nobility and the Empire. With the recent Lo usurping of the Emperor Jakkios’s resentment has surfaced again. Though he still has manors, he is likely to stay on the negative side of things. Additionally he has come to beleive himself a freeman no longer under the slavery of the state.
    Reminiscent- Jakkios tends to live in the past, he will dwell on things long passed, and if one is lucky enough they might be around for a story or two. While this often leads directly to him drinking more often then not. The pains of his past often haunt him, the memories of the Genocide of the Slizzar, something he personally took part in stay with him to this day. Upon seeing Allar and Slizzar, he will regress emotionally.
    Paranoid- Jakkios’s time at sea has taught him to fear what lies beneath the waves. He has constant nightmares that pledge him of storms and sea monsters. After the ship he was on was destroyed by the Sea Serpent he felt validated in his fears. To him races that live down there are evil, and bent on killing those above.
    Strengths

Airship Experience & Training: Jakkios has extensive experience with the captaining of airships as well as many years of training on there use. Unlike a naval ship these crafts also travel in the vertical plain adding an entirely new level of skill needed to captain them. Between the managing of fuel to the charting of weather is covered in his training.
    Man of the People: Jakkios often prefers diplomacy to fighting, in aid of this is his upbringing in a small river and port town in the Angle Isles. He knows the pain of the downtrodden and the desire for nothing more than to get through the day. Youth is a hot fire, that need only be soothed rather than feed. Nothing hurts him more than when a young life is wasted. He speaks with the heart of poor beggar, a preacher for the common man. "A days toil for a days good pay."
    Swashbuckling Sword Skill : Jakkios's expert interpretation of Turall is something he refers to as Swashbuckling, its a method of fighting that employs speed not only in foot work but in the movements of the upper body, leaning and fast, subtle blade work. It preaches environmental awareness as a tenet, rather then kicking off things, you climb up them, gaining high ground and fighting with a remarkable skill of balance, such skill of balance that one can stay on their feet in moments were they might normally not, such as drunkenness, and walking along a swaying ship.​
    Weaknesses

Losing His Hearing: Prolonged cannon fire from on board ships have damaged Jakkios’s hearing, he is unable to hear people sneaking up on him even if they are obvious about it, although if it is something large like an orc he would be able to probably feel it shaking the ground. In conversation if he is not looking at the person he will often have trouble hearing them as he tends to read people's lips to aid the lack of hearing.
    Old Injury On His Left Leg: During the Chyrsant War Jakkios's ship was destroyed by the giant Sea Serpent putting a scar over his face and leaving a permanent damage to the bone on his left leg. If dealt a solid blow his thigh bone will snap in two leaving him immobilized and in sheer pain.
    Gold Fever & Over Possessive: Jakkios's hunger for wealth has consumed his soul, he will fight bitterly to never lose what he has, no matter what it be. Whether it be people or things, he is over possessive of them never wanted to release them. He is easily bribed and not sort of letting people know it, his allegiance or his mercy can be bought. Or even, manipulated if done right.
    Post Tramatic Stress: Jakkios is an extremely superstitious tendencies due to his history in the Chrysant War, sometimes superstitions can over ride his nature, his mental bearings can be set to utter madness when met with the dark creatures of the deep. If he encounters Maiar, Slizzar, or Allar he will become wrought with a terrible madness. Its hard to say what he might do, its different for every encounter. But it never ends well, with Jakkios losing himself in the moment.
    Page-Divider.png
    Life Story (Required)
    • Born on the Angle Isles to a pair of poor fish mongers, father became I’ll when he was 11 he was taken away by his airship merchant uncle to be given schooling in the city.
    • At the age of 16 his father recovers, but instead of returning home he get his uncle to pay his way through the Turall Blade school. He is mocked for his largish size and very slowly learns the art.
    • After 4 years he trained enough to be a warrior rank and sets off to make his mark on the world, he hoped aboard a merchant ship as a deck hand and never looked back. He discovers that the Turall fighting style works wonderfully on the deck and rigging of ships.
    • Has a heat stroke aboard the ship one summer while at sea, takes a year off to recover.
    • Studies hard in the nautical arts and after 10 years and eventually gets his own merchant ship, just in time for the Chrysant War. He is levied as a marine and goes off to fight.
    • Jakkios’s father dies of old age
    • His ship is destroyed by the Sea Serpent but he survives, albeit with great lasting injury on his leg and a scar on his face, washing up on shore and aids in the genocide of the Slizzar.
    • At the war's end is becomes stricken with grief at the acts of horror he committed and leaves the navy to become a merchant once again, inheriting his late uncle's Gas and Sail airship “The Storm Crow” (And old ship built and maintained through other ship parts) and using his military money to kick start his career.
    • Jakkios’s mother dies of old age.
    • For 10 years he runs from his past, a sickness of the mind starts to grow in Jakkios, he sees that his loyalty to his empire was repaid to him in coin, and in coin did his sickness take hold. He starts freelance teaching others, often nonhumans and woman, in the way of Turall Blades as well as training himself trying bitterly to fight off the memory of the War, becoming in time an Expert in Turall at the age of 45.
    • At the age of 45 he forms a consortium of other merchants and funds an airship company consisting of 2 smaller Gas and Sail airships, and his larger airship the Storm Crow.
    • After the Qadir take over he turned to a life of Piracy in the skies preying on Qadir ships, however he never received permission or pardon from the Regalian Crown, making him an official Pirate. He carefully made sure to hide his Identity and that of his ship through use of Airmages creating a fog cloud around the ship during attacks.
    • He, his crew, and his ships are trapped in the city now during the Lo take over. Aiding the Rebel groups as much they can. He is now 46

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
    #1 Jack_Castle, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. Deadfoe51

Deadfoe51 Help

~Peer Review time!~
    Alright, @Jack_Castle I will be giving your app a quick little peer review to help you iron out some of the things I've noticed.

Visual Information + Weaponry:
    • The first thing I noticed is his body build, you're applying for a Turall expert, but you've described him as a very big man. At 6'2, 230lbs, he's going to be quite beefy, and you've described him as an Endomorph. Endomorphs tend to be on the stocky side of things, all of this together, it doesn't fit. Turall's are supposed to be athletic, slim, because they rely upon agility and moving fast. I'd recommend changing his body build to better fit this, if you want to keep Jakkios as a Turall.
    • That brings me to the next point, his array of odd weaponry. Turall are trained to use 2 daggers, 2 arming swords, or a mix of both, yet I don't see any of those weapons described. Cavalry sabres and axes don't make for a good selection as a Turall bladesmen, I'd recommend changing this to fit the wiki page.
    • Thus brings me to the expansion spoiler, where I see contradictions. He's described as being even taller and much heavier, at 6'4, and 320lbs. Again, Turall bladesmen are meant to be fast and agile, not big and strong. 320lbs is way to heavy for a non-obese Human to attain. I'd recommend changing this so that it all fits and doesn't contradict.
    • More or less, he is described as knowing 6 languages. Elvish takes a very long time and a lot of effort to be able to understand, yet he somehow still can't speak it. He's also mentioned as being able to understand 'Qadir' and 'tongues'. Considering all the training he'd have to focus on, and the other languages he knows, this seems odd. I can see this as possibly being powergamey and abused, so I suggest removing the 3 languages he can 'understand but not speak' and keep to three languages he can speak. Also, if you took the time to understand the language perfectly, why can't you speak it?
    Personality traits:
    • While most of these seem alright, he is mentioned as being large again, which conflicts with the Turall school. Aside from that, he's mentioned as being paranoid and sometimes scared of things. This conflicts with his steadfast nature, which is described as being almost fearless, unwavering towards bad things.
    • Aside from the above mentioned, this looks alright.
    Strengths & Weaknesses:
    • He has his own interpretation as an expert of Turall, but Turall is still all about agility, movement, and speed. He's going to have a hard time doing any of this, even as described in your strength, if he's such a big guy. I recommend addressing this if he's intended to be a Turall.
    • He's also described as having lots of training with Regalian navy and all that, while alongside his Turall training, which would be 15yrs. This further supports my earlier claim, that he likely wouldn't have time to bother learning how to understand complex languages, especially Elvish which takes about 10yrs to learn to speak fluently.
    • Onto his weaknesses, he's described as being an honourable guy, which isn't a weakness whatsoever, and more of an admirable trait. Along with that, Turall bladesmen generally don't believe in being honourable, or at least, don't believe in being honourable in combat. I would suggest removing this weakness entirely, as it's unnecessary, and isn't much of a weakness.
    • His Sea-Madness weakness seems to contradict his steadfast and well-tempered personality traits. I'd recommend mentioning exceptions in his trait descriptions, or simply changing the weakness, or traits.
    Aside from the above mentioned, I've noticed several spelling mistakes throughout the app. Minor things, but I'd recommend scanning through and correcting those. I'd also suggest taking another look at the Turall school page, https://wiki.massivecraft.com/School_of_Turall.

That concludes my initial peer review, while you're not forced to make the changes, these are recommendations to improve your app. @Tag me when you're done, or if you have any questions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    #2 Deadfoe51, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  3. Jack_Castle

Alright I think I got everything, just to review...
    I missed all of those in my writing, they managed to slip in from an older draft, I purged them and rewrote them to specify that he is built for Turall.
    They are there for flavor, a fashion choice, additionally I have experience with them OOC which helps a ton in emotes. The boarding axe isn't intended to be something that he has any real training in, he just has it for utility and for throwing at people.
    Dwarvish is no stretch considering all his time as an Airship Merchant in Elandor, I removed Elvish, as it seemed harder to learn, but decided to keep the others because of IC interactions.
    Okie got all that sorted out.
    Removed it as requested.
    Removed the Elvish, set his expert status to have come at a later date. Ten years later.
    I legit had a typo in that, were I didn't put the word "Only" between Doesn't, and Focus. Long story short its designed from fighting on ships a lot.

4. Deadfoe51

Deadfoe51 Help

I still recommend doing away with these, unless they're bits and pieces. Understanding an entire language completely is more or less the same thing as knowing the language, because it still takes time and effort. Either way, that ends my peer review, and staff can decide the rest.

5. Gochnipunchni

Gochnipunchni Pocket Princess

Wait, might Jakkios be approved?!
    :P

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Jack_Castle

Thats the hope.

7. Shayin

Shayin Seen any Elves?

I will be overseeing @Eccetra reviewing this application.

8. Jack_Castle

9. Shayin

Shayin Seen any Elves?

Eccetra is working diligently as we speak, and it has hardly been a day since this app was assigned. Your reminder is unnecessary; please wait for a week of inactivity before bumping your thread. Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jack_Castle

BUTTTTT SHAYYINNNN

11. Ryciera

Ryciera When virtue is preyed upon.

WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT SONG.
    I love Rasputina.

12. Eccetra

Eccetra Rat Mumther

☼ Staff Review! ☼

Hello, my name is Eccetra and I’ll be reviewing your app today.
    Thankyou for the excellent peer-review, @deadfoe51 !

• The school of Turall teaches exclusively a style in twin daggers and arming swords, with heavy emphasis on the use of agility and stamina to out-maneuver and tire an opponent. From how you have written Jakkios as a hardy and steadfast sailor, he does not appear to fit this niche. I would recommend that you drop the school of Turall and instead focus him upon being a freelance warrior, but should you adamantly want to be a Turall expert please make the following edits:

• The school of Turall would only teach in arming swords or shortswords at the largest, with anything bigger jeopardizing the style of the technique. This is vital for Turall combat and cannot only be kept for a fashion choice; sabres or cutlasses would be ineffective. Please edit your weapons of choice to mention only one or two appropriate weapons.
      • A Turall fighter would not be inclined to wear heavy armour; replace “Low Heat Tolerance” with another physical weakness.
      • Bare in mind that at age fifty, even the most toned and well-trained of warriors would have trouble being as active and acrobatic as they once were. I’d recommend lowering his age slightly for an expert.
        -
    • The way of the tides religion is due for a rewrite in the near future, so I’d advise that you remove all mentions of it for the time being. Where it is used to highlight his personality traits, this can simply be replaced with superstition.
      -
    • The “paranoid” personality trait is a bit strange, grammatically. Please give it another read over.
      -
    • The weakness you have described as “Superstitious Sea-Madness” is essentially PTSD, which can be excellent if it is played correctly and respectfully! Please rename the trait to Post-traumatic Stress Disorder or similar.
      -
    • Captain of the Regalian navy, even ex-captain, is a special permission that is not available to apply for yet. Please remove all mentions of it from your backstory and traits. You may replace it with freelance / unofficial sailor education and piracy if you so wish to keep these aspects, but bare in mind that flying an airship is very different from sailing a traditional boat.
      -
    • Whilst staff would not normally review the optional sections, his exceptional language skills have been brought to my attention by the peer review. If a language can be understood then to some degree it can be spoken. Due to his very busy lifestyle being a warrior, merchant and pirate, please remove two languages.
    Your app is incredibly aesthetically pleasing, and I love the artwork! Very lovely. Please mark your changes in blue and tag me when you’re finished!

13. Jack_Castle

I found it in the Regalian Harbor. It was the Inspiration behind this character.

14. Jack_Castle

@Eccetra Thank you for reviewing my App! Its a pleasure to see that your now an Aspirant.

I got to all of those but one, and while I deeply respect your verdict and that of those who selected you as an Aspirant, I must argue against one point in particular. In that neither the Cutlass nor the Saber are larger than an arming sword, and that his Expert training would give him leeway in terms of personal adaptation. And he would still teach others to use Arming swords.

https://wiki.massivecraft.com/Regalian_Naval_Cutlass
    Quote, "The Regalian Naval Cutlass’ defining feature is its short, yet somewhat broad blade, that ends in a well defined tip." End quote, it would fit with in the size limit of an Arming Sword with has a 30 inch blade plus however long the handle is which could make it up to I estimate about 37 inches. The Cutlass is well within short sword size, and in fact is more brittle in an arming sword thus poising no issue in terms of power-gaming, I purely want it for aesthetic reasons.

https://wiki.massivecraft.com/Calemberger_Cavalry_Saber
    I have no snarky quotes from his one, as it does not give a specific length, but I would assure you that he would have a saber that was the same length as an arming sword. I'm also familiar with this weapon OOC as well as with arming swords, and can assure you, that they handle very much the same.

Again it is not my intention to be rude or disrespectful, only that I have difficulty parting with that portion of his character app as I feel they are important to the characters look and feel. I did however remove the Boarding Axe dropping him down to two weapons.

JakkiosLineArtForGhriko.png I also already drew him with them ;-;

15. Eccetra

Eccetra Rat Mumther

Hello @Jack_Castle !

• It is clearly stated on the wiki page that Turall tutors refuse to teach in anything that is not an arming sword, shortsword or dagger. Whether similar in size or not, they are intrinsically different weapons with different weights, shapes and fighting styles, and limits like this are in place for a reason. Either change your weapon of choice to one of the three mentioned above, or make Jakkios a freelance warrior with the use of cutlasses.
      -
    • Please remove the "Religion" section entirely or change it to non-specific Sailor Superstition.
      -
    • Edit: Also please remember to edit his "Naval Lore & Military Training" to remove the mention of being a captain of the Regalian fleet.
    Tag me when your edits are complete!

#15 Eccetra, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  16. Jack_Castle

First I want to say that I have changed them, but I'm not at all pleased about it. An arming sword and a Sabre would be extremely similar if not exactually the same in terms of length and weight, especially at were the balance point of the sword would be. The sabre irl is the eventual replacement of the arming sword as the new tide of back-swords swept through Europe not that it means anything for a fantasy server.

But alas, all edits made. Sorry for salt. Its just.... I freaking love sabres and cutlasses.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Eccetra

Eccetra Rat Mumther

@Jack_Castle

While everything looks fine to be approved now, that kind of argumentative behaviour towards staff is not appropriate. Jakkios did not have to be a Turall fighter, and could have easily fought freestyle with a cutlass or sabre otherwise.

Regardless,
    ☼ Approved! ☼
    Remember to register your special permission here.

18. Jack_Castle

Do you think it would be okay if I swapped out the Short Sword for a Cutlass? Considering the surplus of Cutlasses in places like his airship and the sewers, a large amount of other players including other Turalls use them. I'm more then willing to keep using the Arming sword as the main weapon, however I'd like to try and work that cutlass in there for his off hand.

@Lore

19. Shayin

Shayin Seen any Elves?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jack_Castle

The Wiki Quote just for point of reference:
    • School of Turall fighting techniques should always be limited to arming swords or daggers. The mentors flat out refuse to teach anything bigger than that, because it jeopardizes the agility of the style.
    It says they refuse to teach anything bigger then that because it jeopardizes the agility of the style, that implies that weapons that are not bigger then an arming sword would be fine for teaching and usage. It also says their Techniques are limited to those swords, this limitation indicates that they cannot use other one handed weapons, such as axes, maces, and rapier like weapons, but only swords as they posses blades capable of both cutting and thrusting.

@Shayin

21. Shayin

Shayin Seen any Elves?

I'm going to flat-out tell you no. The Lore Staff, including the writer of the "School of Turall" page, have had an internal discussion about this and have determined that this is not able to be done. In the future, the Lore Staff will be looking into adding a school pertaining to the use of cutlasses to cater to this empty niche in the Lore, but for now, you are stuck with the two options you were originally presented. Furthermore, it is not your prerogative to apply your own interpretation of the Lore in order to skirt around the established rules and boundaries.

22. Jack_Castle

Awesome.
    Unless of course my intention was not to skirt around them but rather to achieve a creative usage of them for means of a more themed Role-Play experience, then, as a Role-Player, it would be my Prerogative.

23. Shayin

Shayin Seen any Elves?

Then be patient, and do not keep pushing this matter. Any further attempts at forcing cutlasses into a Turall character app will result in it becoming unapproved and your character non-lore compliant.

24. Film_Noir

Film_Noir Snowdonian Pirate

(I love you all!!!)
    -tiptoes out of thread.+

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Generous Generous x 1
  25. Kibaa

Kibaa Regalian Senator

Swordmanship is an incredibly diverse art wherein the user more often than not delves into their own styles and creative techniques, so what if Jakkios simply decided to train himself in the art of the cutlass after he mastered the Turall way? I am aware that lore staff has flat out rejected the mixture for now, but this question has been lingering on my mind

• Agree Agree x 4
  26. GoodDreamer

GoodDreamer The Regalian Nuke

Maybe Jacks character application is not the place to discuss this. For his sake, can this conversation take place in another place so he does not get his character rejected?

• Educated Educated x 1
  27. Eccetra

Eccetra Rat Mumther

While yes, swordsmen develop their own sword styles, the reason that specific combat schools were created was so that we could have some standards by which to measure combat prowess. While he can use cutlasses, it would not match the standard that is in place, and thereby he would not be able to utilize the Turall school. At some point, he would change what the standard is and thereby make it incapable of being utilized. We have stated previously that he can use cutlasses if he desires, but he will not be able to utilize the Turall School. The Turall School was built around the idea of cunning rogues who utilized two daggers or arming swords to help combat the Viridian School. That is the standard that all other players who use the Turall school are bound to, and that is the standard that we as staff have set.

At some point, it comes down to the question of "Is this character built solely around the Special Permission, or can it stand without it?" And if the answer is that it requires the special permission to work as a character, then we face the daunting task of figuring out how to have character development with a character who's central focus is simply the special permission. So to wrap it up, yes, he could 'technically' use cutlasses, but it would not be the Turall school, and he would not have the special permission.

28. Jack_Castle

Wait does this mean I should be giving Turall Characters the "Rogue" archetype on Player Quests or would it be the "Acrobatic" Archetype?

29. Eccetra

Eccetra Rat Mumther

Either is fine; it depends on whether you would like your character focused more on parkour and mobility, or espionage and sneak tactics. Due to Jakkios's strong focus on combat I would recommend that you choose the "Rogue" archetype. Acrobatic is typically more of a supportive role.