Bunemma's Skinning Guide

Bunemma

guinea pig gremlin
Staff member
World 2
Reaction score
cUvd3Q3T8e47pnd5oQ6aN4G842xw-134CqA4AFouClrypZjt2d0-nGb5_kjEQmCTGwGjuPMChOApi8RUvkdHo3zc__cyeGsZuYbO-HgZ2Ytco5yaTFYG9ugQzkaLjWW8arfg7AB5

Hello there! I've been asked a handful of times how I skin, my tips, techniques, and whatever else in regards to my skinning. I've decided to sit down and compile my style into a guide, to aid those who'd like to know more. If you are going to be following this guide, I beg of you - take elements, but not the entire style. One of the major reasons my skinning is the way it is because I've added my own flair and twists.

Here's a link to another tutorial on how to use MCSkin3D by Goldifish.

nvItciWZu7NR5CzplD2ZLpAWfiEgzBRWB-Z9upu3U5Igy2Is8_VcxAxgnwJxKxjwES_TJ9bv-W63k1CRAK9KzVswSNw4hvxr_kPFK6Exb0KCCllVfQHtR1rXb8U8jXE8BGM7LPbl

Some FQAs regarding my skins:

Q: What program do you use?
A: MCSkin3d - it's a program developed by paril from planetminecraft, but has since been absorbed into the actual site, so it doesn't receive any updates. It's a fairly easy to learn program, and I taught myself in only a couple of hours. There's a 3D mode, 2D mode, and a hybrid where you're able to see both.

Q: How long does it take you to make a skin?
A: In actuality, skinning doesn't take me too long. A full skin that I expend a LOT of effort into can take me anywhere from 2-4 hours purely of time spent skinning. The reason my skins take so long to be delivered, however, is motivation - I often find myself lacking any real will to skin, and as such, they sit half completed in my saves.

Q: Will you make me a skin?
A: If you pay me and it's a good concept, I'm sure something can be worked out :-D

m6rStjKNKbQM3FhvCOUg7cIO97YnRgjYdDp-RGcdqcDEg8OKZvlCfBZSR8lVfMlaJFawaWdsAfZz01Or6VkEHMdpgc7orEOIqHFrm6wxwN4WgDhy_o1EOw_XfWYDk3oaJj0zz41e

Finding Shadows And Highlights

qGc5Q2sbGsVTiKGDBIkY7Puh2DcvlR5rlOOZPnHPR5SXLKyUrlmn08d0wVGdb17k2O_yckPu17x-F4j_HM00pwtP1Dg7oC3mvTU2vzrCvI7s1lz6cAIiPnuHQxULl_WgjfO1cmag

Here is a skin I've made previously, outfitted with highlights and shadows. The light blue is where I typically try to keep the shadows, and the light green is where I try to put the highlights. It'll differ on every skin, mainly because of the layout of clothing. For female skins, I do my best to put shadows below and above the waistline, beneath the bosom, below the puff of sleeves, and below the chin. For highlights, I do my best to put them atop the bosom, on the outermost part of the sleeves, and the middle of the dress. For male skins there isn't as much of a science, merely wherever it makes sense to have a darker part and a lighter part. I tend to put shadows where the arms meet the body and around the waist.

m6rStjKNKbQM3FhvCOUg7cIO97YnRgjYdDp-RGcdqcDEg8OKZvlCfBZSR8lVfMlaJFawaWdsAfZz01Or6VkEHMdpgc7orEOIqHFrm6wxwN4WgDhy_o1EOw_XfWYDk3oaJj0zz41e

Choosing Good Colours

I'll shamelessly admit that I have a very difficult time choosing colours. Most of the time, I colour pick them directly from a reference I'm using - unless there's others someone wants me to use. When I'm forced to pick my own colours, however, I try to keep a good balance between saturated and light. I do my best to pick a colour in the midrange, dark/lightness wise, unless it's supposed to be a darker colour. Here's an example of where I typically pick colours.

fBmkqfIY0TRYZmFVtL9JEZldMtfh3xsjHVCkMCFglH70MyKbkU4ewOBqrwIm-yV277UWvCBmcFJKKeB9jtlu3ZwSXVCMjLdOS5UfluHQsi2sEWGJ0Vz4hqc7HJlrKeNm2INESSaM

Whenever I start a skin, I typically ask for descriptions, or find a reference. Working off your imagination can be tough, if you have no inspiration. Even just having something to take components from helps quite a bit. For the sake of this thread, I've chosen this reference here. I'll be going step by step, on how I typically make a skin from scratch.

Step One - Base Colours and Shapes.

This part is fairly easy, in comparison to everything else. All you really need to do is examine whatever reference or inspiration you have, and start slapping down some shapes and colours. Here's my blank skin.

TRWg-NoisX4X1wm34f21ovxVVveRcvdmpnsvFFROIqe9_m2XvB1ed5oEMXf3zuc35W8ci2dtYi1Fsqw8LhZm3fWFVAw-7pqqk0kaqSzFYiw-vnibHLkCwJjQD_rLvs0zy-__NEc-

I typically start putting the colours and shapes down only on the front, to save some effort and get a feel for the shape and look of the actual skin.

StRAsFZgwA_UGDsQlUl1UjZlGN0W_jFrtry-f3AQ6Bp-x6EgIB5J_zfEzD5gkyZY__jGCrYJJAQFK-L8Jiudr7C2ygdQzbf6SRcmKcvt_SJmjerZqR3LfnrRVuXg50JC4jv0Owor

As you might've noticed, the colours and shapes don't match up exactly with the reference. Typically, it's hard to translate anything perfectly to a minecraft skin - and you'll have to make adjustments accordingly.

5QYQ7bB01lgkNKkVgz1mbauEQdqz3LxEuXPRmprmkVuJ94kAYRhkkEhabqTkqCz4nrAyz9jjMrbx9PJ5qfNEEu2SRyLPJHgLK7P1YKicPJI4FYAMqBTNPUluZpg4wqFa7tooPT2h

Step Two - Hat Layer.

Hat layer is incredibly important. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Without it, you skins would be flat, boring, and square. This adds a 3D touch without a ton of added work. For the sake of showing where I'm putting the hat layer, I'll do it in obnoxious colours.

3ZTaMZqqRStOixG7UAJrdA0enFbzJvPcGe2-4RKb4imk6-VfYuLcdPVd_LWnbCGUnfyhMHZNJ4cxx-rIXXlagOC9rfWD0of90AWGMevDVO9z1JaCZzBOiP41Ckvbegndt_3FIar2

Though it looks pretty silly with the bright colours, the hat layer helps to beef up the base skin, and create some depth and dimension. The blue on the shoulders adds a padded/raised look, while the chest and waist area helps to define some curves. The red amps up the sleeves and the sash at the waist, while the purple gives some shape to the boots and gauntlets. The green adds some to the gold, but notice how there isn't too much of it. Here's the same skin, but with the hat layer colours corrected.

O7-8HkL_LHmumP_chusfIR_ITttYsBU2IYlmfmouGXEYz5fMW8FQMP0GCKymYOmbrVHI7mMGMctuU56A-UJW96t0gIx9zh0i-hrWf3lh_QumcpalThilxGcfJfMJ29-rs6JkTtm4

Without shading and moving the model around, there isn't much difference. But the shape is there, which is a great start.

XmiZjyJOuqpBYhtSglPiwkyoPFxo8Emf0w7OuXi4dLGqdS7cRfeSNZzG8y729uRjd4ebLEp7r1JY9C6GlMqaOy1M8Q2dUwGnKCo0UrM9VuWf5cFf410TzBpyi60szrPzTyUFi31A

Step Three - Shading.

Shading may be the most difficult step. Or - at least - it is for me. The different values and where to put each of them often trips me up. The key things to remember when you're attempting to shade is the weight of your values, and the shadows and highlights of the body/clothing/armor pieces it's wearing.

If you're using MCSkin3D, it's a bit easier to understand how I get the values of all my shades. When shading anything, I typically use the second tab of values - HSVA.

44F-I1VQAi3gJQeGIIxMyh1CXQ9i9w9Q4USbeNFyXh23eOFEh4VD45GW9-r4rnaZ3w9yvWSXfpPOzYGVG9mbNg68cjHtBnxHAkMkkLn35PljzZLFtdNAFwwILQ1L3nEjPzjxs9xm

When shading cloth, I use less intense shading, as opposed to armour, where the contrast between shades is higher. Here's the shade for the blue I'm using in the skin.

oNpoSSngn8iQH6dAf27Ijh7ldAOpMI2XvckMig1ckK8tGaXRRz_pZ62vRImRb7fiBNdTjlx8K3OBcHIURBe_FpbcyACHsekHptZqGCYP0aq2ewJdUGjOOHinel1ddoAIWoZIFCWq

The reference shows a bit of a more blue-ish green than a green-ish blue, so I'll be going up on the H value. Typically, this doesn't move much, only about 2-3 per shade.

If I'm looking for a darker value, I'll adjust the S up 4-6, and the V down 5-7. I don't touch the A, as that's opacity, and I'd like to use a full amount of pixel instead of a partially transparent one. For lighter, I'll go the opposite direction on all of them, besides the A. Basically, I aim to make my darker shades more colorful and saturated than the lighter, which are more pastel and de-saturated.

For the shading of the skin, I'll be going shade by shade, just so it's easier to see how I make the shapes and follow the shadows/highlights.

1lBzjxEG3osZNxda69CPdZldJxS4IFX43FHRAbGzryZjVuaozn-zS7pt2VFnC3FjlxSJrsd-ISzfA6VQaOmbxcBNAfCeTI5mIOKlis_XGPhM_I_UjZuUUsxco2Znzv7oYB6yeCDj

0zrJZTJewzHKqERTTA7ffJiPAtZVR6vTB9bU2Tk-BnMqDk-DOgqy1cvBGCqDnWaDq5Gvol3rRbWKcWz7boO71pfp90LGUORQpjL0XpyQxKexFKc7d5tHOCzWnmkDEfUu6RPsXArg

rkrzHxWl-LEKLiTs-7GxTyPZ0IXtUvm71wzcm8CaU7GzQXaUMmN8hE1Q6rY8KN83SjW5VTnGESc27AE84zcs1lpThMSEctXLuInCM_P8ieYX2RFxGUlirSr8ZP2TV_K_Cu0XOLWc

h1B2WgqbaOQluFJeoRqJtlFzRGyEN5aWy6jGCXZQ4pbIk1CZqhdRVPgFDe54ITR6rHnDE7fYel3TUOHmaQNoYLa_VF8S8_SfGexaLpRxAuc6ivcz_Q1SWPT9GxMgNNbP9hcPKiFf

For the sake of saving space, I'll go ahead and do the rest of the pieces without taking pictures.

kdwsNTHUU2ijJdcDSjKjnbHo9kUj02BgyvnT-LBCBNOlZAVi_ByjXbEW4kYvO6fhdkTvt-agirQaLEqKnj3XuRFLTqEp2ptpCR5fSAPlLboegRcTV-bGxk_GB9y2cVlPviKug86Q

I left the gold untouched, because metals are something special. I'll do them last, to show the process of that. Next comes shading the hat layer. Instead of simply copying whatever shading was beneath, I typically go lighter and brighter for the hat layer, to show off the depth and 3D effect. I simply take the base shade, and go lighter and lighter, like shading backwards.

4D5dKIdUXzemUhxAgMSs7ZQ6UKvEdmdTbHVX110-KyhZOg7eyNE5BxDb2qrB97dMBkSUdp7bz8lCuRTb5Y0DUNcFUL9ejjn0AgpL9aeQ1Fj7BWpRN4mL07eyBeG9kb43JYM9f99F

Here we are. When shading, instead of putting the highlights around the middle, I put the lightest colour at the top - and let gravity do the rest of the work. I.E. putting the lightest colour at the top, then the middle colour in the middle, and the darkest colours on the bottom.

znQzRaYAicZAfkYnMedZRvNVrbl02o5qsY0wJ8a46OqExqJvKmXL93jRWDwctIj3KQqbWjnVJFqx2HLCZxBhvbEjANFqrnow8h4iZjjkAk9iuNqX0s_ai_JI8cgWDw2X6AlmdmzS

Step Three ½ - Shading Metals.

Gold and silver are tough to present well, and not just as a yellow or grey. When shading these, I typically go from yellow to red, and from grey to blue. This helps give it a 'shine', and make it more realistic. Here are some values I typically use for gold and silver.

oRWxT2jXAAsOwhbW4CIKU7C8ktULQDr38kDjdvT_kqMYLKRIyHIoqDN4jLsnA_a7g427kQIo-5xWXTTM_0SbrrcHdKkhxnxViV31b2LNjRL85b6dgLguNwobq52ZuqCYx1Aj8iOV

To achieve this, just do a bigger jump on the values in the H slider/value thing.

qxSiBrv-vntHjaPs_9_smntV30V90Tzw1uVUwUmd0vFsdsaId3NlkTqwoJhTAiTp36vY6k-1nrfu6tVEMUpQVLn7fe45lPVL-4KvrI7jPKgERaO9Nkb2ZakfLbHw5_H6EpaUJobp

There we go, outfit shaded!

nvItciWZu7NR5CzplD2ZLpAWfiEgzBRWB-Z9upu3U5Igy2Is8_VcxAxgnwJxKxjwES_TJ9bv-W63k1CRAK9KzVswSNw4hvxr_kPFK6Exb0KCCllVfQHtR1rXb8U8jXE8BGM7LPbl

Hopefully that helped somewhat on making and designing skins! If there's any interest, I may add on how I make/shade heads, but for now I think this'll suffice. Happy skinning!

- Bunemma

Last edited:
God bless you miss Bunemma... This is the best skinning guide I've ever read and you are so selfless to share with us your process.......

I thought this would help me skin the 30-50 feral hogs in my backyard, but it didn't which I'm a bit disappointed in.
I'm joking dont kill me pls

I actually needed to see this since I've been trying to do some more skinning on my own and it's a very comprehensive guide, thank you for making this!

Very useful guide, thank you!
Though tbh, I did think this was some dark new feature being added. Maybe heads aren't enough anymore.

Wowza. Using different colors for the hat layer definitely solves unnecessary squinting.