Pending Review Bringing Back Certain Alchemy Potions...

Discussion in 'Factions' started by Shaneski101, Feb 10, 2019.

?

Should these 2 potions be re-enabled?

Poll closed Feb 24, 2019.
  1. Yes

61.5%
  2. No

38.5%
  1. Shaneski101

Shaneski101 Polar Bear enthusiast

So, hello, my name is shaneski. Back on old massive, I was one of the 35 or so people who had 1k alchemy. Alchemy was available for everyone to grind for around 2 years. Yet only 35 people had alchemy 1k. Whats so precious about 1000 alchemy? resist potions. Out of around 2 years, probably more, only 35 players reached 1k alchemy. Its a tough grind.

but, lets not get into that right away. there's another potion that should also be enabled. Healthboost. This is going to sound biased as a pvper, but alchemy is apart of factions and apart of a plugin that effects factions, so I am going to be posting this little suggestion in the factions category.

WHY HEALTHBOOST POTIONS SHOULD BE RE-ENABLED IN ALCHEMY-

1: Variety. I think the biggest benefit to re-enabling healthboost potions brings variety. I don't know how many of you are familiar with Call of Duty's Zombie game-mode, where they had perk systems. One perk was "Juggernaut" which gave players essentially more health to survive longer. Kinda a healthboost-like perk. On every zombie map made, Juggernaut was essential. there could be 8 other perks, all unique and cool, but Juggernaut was a MUST HAVE. Lets bring this comparison to Massivecraft. Most people who pvp, usually use some form of healthboost trait. whether its the 50 2 heart trait, or the 100 4 heart trait. PVP is in a state where there is very high damage, and I can assure you, if you watch most fights, you will not be seeing many players without the healthboost trait in some form. It's essentially a essential trait, just like juggernaut was an essential perk. back to Call of Duty! What they decided to do in the newest COD zombies was give everyone access to that health boost, and removed juggernaut all together. this brought more variety with perks. Instead of everyone grabbing juggernaut, juggernaut no longer existed so other perks that would never get to see the light of day, finally started to get used. AND BACK TO MASSIVE. If you give players access to creating healthboost pots, at the designated level, you'd get that variety. You'd see traits people never used before, being used, because they have an extra 50-100 points to use :). Traits like fallimmune, slowimmune, certain strikes and revenges would finally get to see the light of day because healthboost potions were brought back.

2: They aren't overpowered. Permanent healthboost gives you permanent healthboost. It will cost points to use that. Using a healthboost pot, only gives you healthboost for around 3 minutes. that is not overpowered. compared to a permanent healthboost, a healthboost with a timer should not be seen as overpowered. Healthboost 2 potions, only last 40 seconds if I recall. Also a timer. Also a choice. this brings us back to Variety and Choice. It can be the players choice to be risky with a healthboost potion, and they get some extra traits, but once they are out of healthboost, they're out until they can repot. A timed Healthboost is not overpowered, healthboost in general is not overpowered. I personally see no reason to have a timed version of it disabled.

3: Incentive to grind alchemy! lets be honest, most people have no incentive to grind alchemy in its current state because there's no reason to. I don't see many people wanting to grind alchemy so they can make jumpboost or waterbreathing potions when there's already traits for those, or other debuffs because there's traits for those. Why are those potions not disabled? theres nausea strike, and revenge, and nausea potions exist too. Choice. what if players don't want to use nausea strike? or revenge? they want the potion. Incentive to grind alchemy. It's the same way with healthboost, if you enable healthboost potions, alchemy grinding is already a hard task, people would finally have an incentive to reach 350 Alchemy to make healthboost.

**** Most people didn't even bother to use healthboost potions back when traits were around on old massive 1.0, most people still used the trait OVER the potion. Healthboost didn't see a major popularity burst until ALL traits were turned off and it once again became a requirement to use healthboost, so everyone started to grind alchemy. This, in my opinion, is my biggest point. When BOTH traits and alchemy were available, 8/10 players still picked the trait over the potion. Healthboost POTIONS didn't become big until NO TRAITS. ****

WHY RESISTANCE SHOULD BE ENABLED AGAIN.

1: 1000 alchemy is really, really, really, hard to grind. it can be done, but it is a very hard grind. I was on an alchemy grind for weeks, maybe a month or two, before i reached 1k alchemy back on old massive. the reward of alchemy 1k is worth it. Its like removing the 750 reward for taming, whats the point now? there's no point in grinding to 1k alchemy unless you wanna flex on people for mctop. 1k alchemy should have its reward back.

2: 45 seconds of resistance, or 11 seconds of resistance 2, isn't overpowered. resistance doesn't make or break a fight. It really doesn't. the better player will still win usually. I used resistance a lot and still lost a lot of 1v1s, why? because people are better than me. But it was a nice way to TRY and even the fight, but like i said, the better player will win. BUT, it is nice to have to give you some defense and damage reduction. Again, for 2 years of availability, and only 30 players getting 1k alchemy, a REWARD of 45 seconds of res isn't overpowered.

3: Incentive to grind. I have seen multiple people grind alchemy, and I will pm them literally asking why are they grinding alchemy? "for the potions" then i tell them "healthboost and resistance pots are disabled" and i have multiple people then say, "what the ****?" and then those people stopped grinding alchemy after i told them. They are grinding for that REWARD, BENEFIT. No point in grinding to 1k or even 350, if the potions they want are disabled.

4: Market people that actually take the time to grind it out, which again, personal experience, takes a heck lotta time, will be able to sell this potions to people who don't want to make the grind, and can make a hefty profit. Always nice to boost the economy, right?

So that's it. There's probably more reasons for enabling, but I don't see why a 45 second res pot and a 3 minute healthboost pot are disabled right now. Convince me otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    #1 Shaneski101, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. Sir_Daragon

Sir_Daragon Your Local Staff Member Game2

i agree, grinding alchemy takes months, its not a weekend project like repair or acro. it takes time and dedication, and allowing those people to make such potions after all this grind and work should be allowed.

3. Winterless

Winterless The MVP of Romance RP

@Huinkoch finna need some backup here but

Imo Healthboost shouldn't be enabled. Maybe resistance, but definitely not healthboost since it breaks certain trait balancing and allows you to glass cannon and tank simultaneously

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

Anyone who can get 1000 in alchemy deserves a medal. I tried on other severs where I had xp boosters, and I gave up after 300 or so. I can only imagine players here grinding day in and day out.

If you get an op potion from the grind, all the power to ya.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Shaneski101

To be fair, I think the reason healthboost became such an issue was when you could use magic and get 8 minutes of healthboost 1, and 4 minutes of healthboost 2. I think magic healthboost started to tip the scale when it came to balancing on the old servers. Most current glass cannons on massive still use healthboost. I don't see many people NOT using healthboost. Its almost suicidal to run out with no healthboost variation because of the damage output. Which makes it feel like its essential for everyone. It benefits both sides, you can have more immunes as a tank with the extra points, or more defensive traits, and you can also have more damage traits with the extra points. But like I said, its not permanent, it can run out mid fight.

And I dare say there really isn't many tank builds available, so this would be a buff to tank players too, because now instead of using 100 points to inevitably take the same amount of damage and hope their revenge procs, they can add other tanky traits or variety traits, traits that can actually give them an upper-hand instead of just being a meat shield. I see glass cannons, and glass cannons with more health and reserved traits, not many people have that tankiness, for that to truly be back we'd need absorption.

• Powerful Powerful x 1
    #5 Shaneski101, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  6. Shaneski101

It was not fun, i miss having it, it took weeks of me no life-ing.

• Powerful Powerful x 1
  7. ZiHAMMER

ZiHAMMER Violettee is a transgender

1k Alchemy used to take like 5-6 hours. Then glowstone-redstone swap got fixed. Then alchemy became obsolete and should stay like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Huinkoch

Huinkoch Refugee

As the current Mctop Alchemy: Nah.
    There's already plenty of reason to grind alchemy atm anyway. Debuffs. Those generate enough salt to last you a lifetime. Not to mention resist pots will break Armorpenstrike and revenge, since it cannot overwrite the positive values with negatives. Minecraft just doesn't do that.

9. Shaneski101

Armorpenstrike and revenge worked with resistance on old massive, when traits were enabled. Golden apples also give 5 minutes of res. why not disable that too?

10. Winterless

cause gapples cost like 8 gold blocks a pop

pre expensive

11. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

pretty sure that's changed atm
    all for it

12. Sir_Daragon

Sir_Daragon Your Local Staff Member Game2

lets just disabled everything and fight like cavemen

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

or focus on adding real content to the game rather than unbalanced mechanics and pretending it's "unique"

14. Winterless

woah

15. SirePyro

SirePyro The Definition of Insanity

Debuffs only go so far, though, and though I don't agree that Res and HB should be re added, there should definitely be something to reward the alchemists for grinding so hard. Balancing mcmmo around Traits is a little odd IMO, given how outdated and broken Traits are at the moment. Why not fix Traits and the forgotten parts of MCMMO, like taming and alchemy?