Pending Review Bring Back Og Traits

Discussion in 'PVP' started by MyCatBubbles, Oct 8, 2018.

?

Should we open up our trait system to allow different styles of PvP?

Poll closed Nov 7, 2018.
  1. Yeah fam

84.6%
  2. Nah fam

15.4%
  1. MyCatBubbles

MyCatBubbles Massivecrafts Schizo

Hey blockgame wildcats, today I'm petitioning the evil government to bring back old school massive traits for PvP. Sorry by the way if this is on the wrong thread..

I think we should bring back Absorption 2 and Healthboost2 and numerous other traits as possible choices for PvP. Back in old school massive players were able to pull off 1v4's, 2v6's etc. as back then debuffs/buffs were rarely used. Today however it would be very difficult for your average skilled PvPer to pull off those feats as the new trait meta is to just use debuffs/buff traits like stunstrike, witherstrike etc.

Back in the glory days of PvP, fights were long and grand, in todays pvp if jumped fast enough by people disguising themselves you could be hit with numerous debuffs and be put in the ground fast enough before your able to get away or fight back.

PvP should be based on skill and not numbers, if we liberalized our trait system it could allow for a variety of different trait builds and PvP styles and in turn, opening up PvP to others who may be afraid by the lack of beneficial traits to their fighting style. It could also slowly eradicate the players who don't want to defend due to there being more numbers against them and defuse the punishment they'd receive if they do want to defend their faction by giving them a fighting chance as they could choose their own PvP flair.

• Winner Winner x 3
  2. Jalapeno690

Jalapeno690 Doge of Helvetica

3. CnocBride

CnocBride Former leader of Enigma.

Traits have already been largely brought back. Out of all traits we proposed within the PvP Think Tank, Absorption2 was met with a lot of criticism and push back from PvPers. We left it out intentionally.

4. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

then remove traits entirely. making people overly tanky lets you survive 3v1s and whatever, but it also keeps you from killing people. you shouldn't win fights where you're vastly outnumbered unless you're much better than your opponents. letting people be tanky isn't going to change that, it'll just make fights slower.

Not really. The "glory days" of pvp are generally considered to be pre-traits at all, and back then damage was pretty high, since mcmmo did a lot and races only gave 15% buffs iirc.

Unlikely. Even before armorpenstrike and the like were disabled originally in 2014/15, almost everyone ran the exact same trait build. Healthboost/absorption are huge buffs, and people will always run them before a 5% change to give a debuff. You just end up with tanky players who also do a ton of damage. Except then everyone runs the same thing, so the only real differences between trait builds are which debuffs you choose to apply to do your damage, it changes actual gameplay very little.

Straight up, it won't. People will say they'll defend if they had more traits or whatever all they want, it won't be any more true. If some random decides to fight me, they're going to lose. It doesn't matter what traits they have, or that I have. Traits doesn't make a big enough difference, it just adds a bit of obnoxious rng to the game and debuffs you more, because, again, everyone runs pretty similar traits.

• Educated Educated x 1
  5. MyCatBubbles

@65jes89

Alot of your problems are fairly valid. Unfortunately massive is pretty much worse off when everyone is running debuffs to make 1v4's impossible to fight with this cringy new meta. I've already stated also the plus of having everyone being 'tanky'. Fights are elongated and more based on combos and strafing then 'how quick can we drop this nerd with our debuffs'. And when you add on numerous debuffs such as witherstrike, stunstrike etc. it seriously stacks to how often you get railed with a debuff. Stack that ontop of 2-3 people hitting you almost every hit on you will be a debuff of some sort, making fighting groups based solely on debuffs and not on skill, hence as to why I said we should bring back different metas so pvp can be possible for those that choose to fight groups instead of you being crippled with a stunstrike, slowstrike etc and quickied.

6. 65jes89

Then remove traits and don't have to worry about them. They never should have been re-added anyways, imo.
    I don't really agree. It makes the fight much more forgiving on mistakes, i.e. missing pots, bad pearls, etc., and gives you much more of a chance to kite, which is already way to easy on massive.
    Oh I absolutely agree. Debuffs suck. That's the #1 reason I hate traits. It literally just encourages everyone to run the same base setup, followed by a couple assorted strikes. Debuffs are not fun to pvp with; it's really just annoying to be constantly slowed, blinded, unable to see your hearts to pot, taking damage ticks, etc. But the solution there is not to add more tank traits and draw fights out forever, causing fewer deaths, the solution is to nerf traits by limiting the number of total traits you can have, number of strikes you can run at once, etc. (or remove traits entirely, but don't think that's a possibility at this point).

Debuffs suck. So does everyone being stupidly tanky.

7. Winterless

Winterless The MVP of Romance RP

I think Traits are fine as they are at the moment

It is so much easier now with Traits to xV1 than it was pre-reset. Being clever and adaptive with your trait build and predicting what your enemies will use goes a long way to helping you win a fight, which incorporates a strategy aspect into PvP. Before reset it was pretty much impossible to win anything above a 2v1, with wins even in a 2v1 being entirely down to luck. Absorption doesn't help you win when you're outnumbered because it stops you from being able to burst people down with high damage and drop them before they can pot. Whilst it may make you tankier, it also makes everyone else tankier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Reaganism

Reaganism 40th President of the United States

There was no variety even before the trait nerfs. It was everyone using the same template while a few of us trolled them with holy.

9. Jalapeno690

No variety, but far more exciting than it is now, I discussed this with @MyCatBubbles and we spoke about when a player had abs 2 trait for example and the highest axe on the server they were feared, it was exciting but scary, massive misses this excitement

10. Winterless

People still fear players

I'm a professional on this subject

11. 65jes89

Absorption 2 was nothing but obnoxious. It has a built-in resistance effect, and comes up at essentially random times, denying kills for no reason other than luck. We don't need more rng. Axes frankly should have little to no say in who wins a fight; you shouldn't be able to grind out mcmmo and win because of your mcmmo. The reason people feared people with high axes was just because there was a tendency for people with high axes to also be good pvpers, not because it gave any huge advantage. Axes haven't truly mattered that much since before you joined the server, based off your forum join date. It's more or less just been higher skullsplitter and armor damage, which hasn't been a huge deal since like mid 2014.

12. MyCatBubbles

Idk man. Back when Afrovia, Tyberia and Enigma were a large alliance I've 1v6,7'd them a few times and always managed to get kills on them by just using smart movements, positioning and proper usage of skullsplit and back then I was pretty trash at pvp (Still am but, not as bad). It used to be super powerful when you backed yourself into a small corner/room against a group and used skullsplit, it really would punish you for outnumbering opponents by an ungodly amount as sometimes you'd miss hitting your target and miss and get denied your hits by hitting your own teammate while your opponent got hits galore against you. Today though it only seems you're only able to divide players and solo them and run off to the next opponent as its pretty difficult to not get debuffed to hell if you try to take on the group and in turn it'll really hinder your skill if you are constantly debuffed.

13. Morbytogan

Morbytogan King of Desolation, Emperor of the Isolated Empire Supremium

Coz you fear me?

14. Winterless

Necro much

15. Jalapeno690

“Locking this thread as it is outdated and the idea has already been declined”

16. Winterless

I'm tentative to lock idea threads, since I believe that ideas can always be revisited and it'll just lead to unnecessary clutter

17. Jalapeno690

As the policeman of Massivecraft I’m locking this thread!