Pending Review Bring Back Massiverestore

Discussion in 'Factions' started by Zacatero, Sep 2, 2019.

?

Watchu think?

1. Totally!! Bring back MassiveRestore (with the specifications in the OP)

2. Totally!! But with a different setup that I totally replied about below

3. Naww man, MassiveRestore is terrible.

4. Other? (Reply below with details)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Zacatero

Zacatero Regalian High Lord

So in one of the factions update threads recently, @MonMarty said: (In reference to lowering the faction cost to zero)

I believe, as Marty has admitted, this will cause a lot of dead space on the map with half-built nothings and ugly dirt or cobble houses/cubes/spheres. Mainly because the people making these don't quite understand how Massive differs from a typical factions server, and then leave, as has happened a lot in the past.

An easy way to fix the issue around this, would be to bring back MassiveRestore. Now it wouldn't have to be set to restore as often as it had before, which was once a month, but it could be set to once every 3 or 4 months instead. Also it would have to essentially be 100% disabled, then once every 4 months be turned on for a like.. 48 hour restore. That way it wouldnt be the entire map constantly restoring, with each chunk spread out so that way the time it takes to do the entire map is 6 months, but instead for a quicker restore of unclaimed land that all happens, relatively at once (but still not fast enough that it wouldn't, ya know, crash the server)

This also would not require any tech work perhaps beyond making sure its also updated along with the rest of the plugins. As far as the worlds are, we already have backups since staff are already equipped with manual restoration abilities.

Thoughts on this?

• Agree Agree x 3
    #1 Zacatero, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  2. Zacatero

3. EricKilla

EricKilla Silferian Emperor

I'm not sure about others, but I did like MassiveRestore. It kept everything clean, and also kept resources fairly plentiful.

I do like the elimination of Faction Taxes, as that was hard on smaller factions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Morbytogan

Morbytogan King of Desolation, Emperor of the Isolated Empire Supremium

Yes

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Winterless

Winterless The MVP of Romance RP

No thanks

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Zacatero

Any reason why not?

7. Winterless

Don't like the idea of faction history being entirely wiped

Essalonia's a faction world, first and foremost. It should be defined by the factions on it, not the blank slate it was given on reset.

8. Zacatero

That's why I feel like MassiveRestore should be present, but in a longer reset time frame. Like if it's set to 6 months that would give looters a opportunity still and faction historians but at the same time if enough time goes by it makes sense to open that land up to refreshed resources and new opportunity.

Also it could be scheduled. Like I said, ideally it would be 100% disabled, nothing restoring over the 6 months. Then it would be enabled for a short period like 24 or 36 hours to reset the unclaimed parts of the map fast. It would be scheduled, announced, people would have plenty of time to scavenge the unclaimed stuff until next time around.

9. Morbytogan

Morbytogan King of Desolation, Emperor of the Isolated Empire Supremium

You’ve changed my mind I’m now against it

10. Zacatero

:(

11. Winterless

A faction wiped 6 months after unclaim is still the same net effect for someone going through the world five years later as if it was wiped 4 months after unclaim. In the long term the difference is negligible. Seeing ruined factions and unclaimed builds was, for me, actually a cool aspect of factions when I was starting out and made me want to stick around. An empty world that doesn't tell a story is regardless an empty world, no matter how "pretty" it might look.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Zacatero

Right but without restorations, eventually the world will need to be replaced then wouldn't it? Isn't that also the same long term effect?

13. Winterless

I feel like that occurring is so far down the line that it's not even worth worrying about right now tbh

14. ZiHAMMER

ZiHAMMER Violettee is a transgender

15. TheLoneShepherd

TheLoneShepherd

I really want MassiveRestore to come back so that remote locations get cleaned up for being settled after they get left a mess by their previous owners

16. Shearsy

Shearsy

I agree with that

17. Zacatero

18. CharlieML

CharlieML The huggler

Hmmmm, I am on the fence. As much as yes it keeps stuff clean, but at the same time... do we honestly care about it being super clean? Provided we can actually take down unclaimed builds for salvage.

Also I concern for the aspirations of the roads and paths built to connect factions which are made on unclaimed land. They would be restored. I've noticed new players tend to follow these which allows them to find factions they have a potential of joining. If perhaps this was made to not happen. That wouldn't be as bad.

Its just as easy to make tickets to have ugly land restored manually too.. maybe make it capable of perhaps lower trusted ranking staff to take the load off higher ups and so players dont have to wait around?

19. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

MassiveRestore would probably work for new worlds, but not for Essalonia. I don't think I'll ever allow it on Essalonia.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Zacatero

What would be the reason that it wouldn't work with Essalonia but would with other worlds?

21. Jackalop3

Jackalop3 Succubus Sister

I sort of agree with the people that are against it. Yes MassiveRestore would be great for getting rid of the ugly cobble builds and nerd poles built around the map, but if we take a look at it from a historical standpoint, keeping those builds would at to the factions history. Also because the entirity of the road service is unclaimed, if we had the restore, all the hard work organized by the players (many who are no longer present in the community) would be lost. I know there are some players like Winterless or Jalapeno who are deeply interested in the factions lore/history of the whole world and if we had the massiveRestore implemented it'd take away from the sense of history. Not to mention that because Essalonia is the first factions map after the reset it offers more historical importance and allows newer players who are interested in the history to go visit some of those abandoned sites and repurpose them to their own ideals. So although, yes massive restore could definitely be helpful in some cases, I feel as though its not something that Essalonia needs.

#21 Jackalop3, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  22. Zacatero

Just a clarification about what this suggestion actually is, and more importantly what it is not.

This is NOT suggesting that MassiveRestore be brought back as it was on the old server, which is to say constantly restoring chunks at a rate of a full map over the course of 1 month.

This IS suggesting that the plugin be utilized instead to quickly cleanup the entire map perhaps once every 6 or 8 months, in an effort to not only clean up the already scavenged builds, but to also replenish the materials. Instead of a constant slow restore that starts at one corner, and 1 month later finishes at the other corner, it would be 100% disabled until the time comes to reset, then it would be set for like 24 hours to rapidly restore all of the unclaimed chunks over the course of a day. Now that faction cost is at zero, there is absolutely no reason that people should have active bases that are unclaimed.

So to clarify, history is there for a while sure and it does benefit new people, but fresh land and resources also help new people.

23. Visarovich

Visarovich General Secretary of the U.S.S.R.

Wasnt this discussed back when Essalonia was created? I thought we all established there would be no MassiveRestoring unless you asked staff to restore a specific area. I dont see the problem with this as it would get rid of the ugly cobble bases near your faction while keeping the elaborate towns and cities.

24. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

I like exploring abandoned bases.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
  25. Zacatero

Fair enough lol

26. Proudbucket

Proudbucket Custom title

Dwarf fortress said it and I stick to the spirit
    [​IMG]

27. wowMuchMine

wowMuchMine

A pottencial compromise (if it is at all possible) would be to to only restore land that has NEVER been claimed, this would preserve old faction bases and clear up alot of the endless tunnels and ugly builds. Hell if its possible to single out old faction land you could have it restore a number of blocks per month (based on faction age?) to enforse the idea of building decay over time and re-introduce resources back into the economy.
    I feel like there may be levers and pullies that could be used (if the tech is there) to find a middle groud where: staff dont have to manually restore, we can keep fation monuments and get rid of the ugly stuff

28. Zacatero

Unfortunately while this would be a fantastic compromise it would likely require techstaff reprogramming which is understandably off the table for any ideas while they work on the 1.13 update.

29. wowMuchMine

wowMuchMine

Something to think about for the future at least

#29 wowMuchMine, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  30. VonZane

VonZane Lord-Commander of the Order of Val'roth

At least it would keep folks from locking all the loot in disbanded factions....

*cough*
    @Dragonn_
    *cough*

• Educated Educated x 1
    • Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
  31. Entityze

Entityze Straight outta DBD

:')

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1