Battle Of The Old Rivergrand

Discussion in 'Progression Events' started by MonMarty, Jan 29, 2015.

1. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

The battle of Old Rivergrand would be the next attempt of the Regalian army to push the Qadir back, after the previous stalemates. The battle was to take place near the river of Old Rivergrand, one of the few lush valleys in the Rim Isles with the Fong Estate in the background, despoiled with Qadir flags and burning from the looting. It rained in both letters and raindrops, the weather had turned sour and the air was filled with torn pages and letters that the Qadir had thrown out of the estate in high numbers, carried by the strong wind between the mountains. Both armies faced off one another on different sides of the river, and it was clear the battle was going to take place in a fairly quick fashion without all too much maneuvering.

First to move were the outer vanguards, the right vanguard led by Christopher Black and the left vanguard by Alejandro Anahera. The first soldiers clashed on the muddy river bed on the left, though it quickly became clear that the Regalian troops had made a big mistake. The Tactician, Yani Cydin, who had no formal training had sent the troops straight into the sinking muds, where the cavalry promptly got stuck and was unable to charge. To make matters worse, they were quickly picked off by the Qadir archers on the other side, leading to mass confusion and an orchestra of screams. On the right vanguard, the situation was equally terrible. The unschooled and greenhorn tactician Stephan Svangor had made the exact same mistake Yani Cydin had made on the left flank, sending the cavalry straight into the impassable muddy banks, losing their speed and allowing them to be cut off. As both vanguards started crumbling, the flank lines tried to quickly rush to their assistance to help, with little effect.

The left flank was without officer. Kyel Tinker had been assigned to lead this flank, yet he was arrested mere days before and put under house arrest for violating the law, having been stripped of his military honors. The army was unable to replace him, and while Ulric attempted to take control of that flank, he was unable to leave his commanding position in the Admiral’s tent. Without their officer, the left flank stumbled into the same muddy slide, getting crashed into by panicking horses and fast moving Qadir. The mud did not hold them down, as they were trained in the art of combat on unstable terrain, the shifting sands of the desert giving the same footing as the loose mud. The left flank was utterly obliterated as a result, not even 200 troops made it out of the scene there, screaming for help and dropping their weapons. It is said that what little troops escaped made it out by Graeton Pileran’s tactical expertise in distracting the Qadir by sacrificing part of the army to save others who would have died otherwise anyway.

The right flank fared somewhat better, but was unable to turn the drama that was unfolding on the vanguard. Mathias Paschen’s troops quickly formed ranks by the competent and successful tactics of Ludwig Fuchs, who tried any means he could to change the situation. It could not however, as the vanguard was overrun, the fleeing soldiers caused confusion and misfires among the troops. Mathias Paschen was unable to hold order in the ranks, and despite following every rule of the book in terms of battle tactics, their troops were simply overwhelmed by sheer numbers.

With both flanks on the rampant retreat, Thomas Kade was left to fend for the central column, surrounded on all sides and outnumbered four to one. Maximillian Typhonus attempted to hold the lines and use the sheer number of the Qadir against them, but there was no holding the morale of the soldiers that already plummeted after the massive slaughter that had been inflicted on the vanguards and flanks. The entire central column collapsed a mere minute after fighting started as the entire army simply fled the field.

The retreat of the army was disorderly at best, catastrophic in reality. Both vanguards had nearly entirely been annihilated, costing the lives of nearly 3500 men. Grey Draegen was able to save Christopher Black from being captured by the Qadir by dragging him over the corpses of the other troops as he had been hit by arrows in both his legs. Christopher Black was gravely wounded because of it, disabling him from participating in any future battle, at least as a commander or on the front lines. The Tactician of the right vanguard also escaped without injury, though with shame to boot.

On the left vanguard, Gustavo Anahera made a good contribution despite the severe tragedy that befell his troops. He was able to secure his own retreat without the direct assistance of his bodyguards, both of whom had been knocked unconscious and were captured by the Qadir. Both Roland Blakely and William Coen had suffered a severe concussion and fractured skull, unable to get away from their captors unconscious. Yani Cydin also managed to escape unharmed, though similarly with shame to boot.

Mathias Paschen was able to escape on the right flank due to the excellent retreat tactic employed by Ludwig. Similarly to Graeton Pileran however, this did come at the cost of many soldiers who were sacrificed to save the lives of a few nobles and knights. Ludwig similarly escaped, but in the sacrifice, Cassius Paloin had both his arms broken and was captured by the Qadir. On the left flank, Rently Reyers was able to secure the escape of himself and Graeton Pileran with as many troops as possible, personally cutting down the Qadir that stood between them and escape. The central column suffered severe losses during the retreat and route, nearly half their troops. Tristan Lamperouge suffered a broken rib, but was able to escape with the assistance of Jared Silverhand. Thomas Kade and Maximillian Typhonus were the first to leave the field with their direct guards, leading to no further casualties among the nobility of the central column.

The retreat to Regalia was swift and without a single raised head. As few as 3000 troops had survived this battle, the majority of them coming from the central column. The Rim Isles had all been abandoned, the Regalian positions quickly dismantled by the Qadir and what earlier victories existed undone. The fleet maintained a stable presence to ensure the Qadir could not further their expansion into the Archipelago, yet whispers started to form in the Imperial court on the incompetence of the military leadership and the outright stupidity of its tacticians. The Empire had grown bold and complacent by military victories over the lesser races and peoples of Aloria, and now facing a true military competent enemy, were outmatched. The prestige of both the house Typhonus and Tinker fell in the Imperial court, while that of the Pileran and Fuchs rose. The state became uncertain how to act. The majority of its direct levies had been killed, the war already having costed over 10,000 troops in deaths alone. Support from the other colonies was on its way, but only a miracle could save the disgrace at this point. Even if the Regalians managed to push back the Qadir from the Rim Isles, damage had been done to the military’s standing.

OOC Notes to those captured: While you are captured, you are expected not to roleplay in Regalia, this is the consequence and risk of participating in battles. While you are captured, you are permitted to send letters by the Qadir and it is assumed you will be taken care of with medical needs. Any captive can be ransomed, though only a noble family can do so. You may contact noble families or other individuals to negotiate with nobles for your ransom, though nobles should be aware that paying a ransom will lose them prestige, as Regalians do not negotiate with lesser peoples. Still, if a person is worth much, it may be worth the loss in standing. If a noble family officially wants to ransom a prisoner, they should send me a PM to state so. Alternatively, the potentiality of a plot to rescue captives may be enacted. Similarly to battle rolls, these will be story progression events in which an unlimited amount of characters may sign up to a rescue mission for a single individual. Characters may be wounded, or even captured, but there is also great chance for glory and rescuing a captive without any ransom.

If you want to sign up a rescue attempt, PM me with the following details:
    (When signing up for a rescue attempt, assume you can only save 1 captive, and that the captive is held in a strongly guarded castle)
    Full names of all participants: (keep in mind, people without character apps get bad skill rolls)
    Target of rescue mission: (Name Roland, William or Cassius)
    Rough plan of Rescue: (Say wether they will go "guns blazing" or under the cover of night. Who will distract the guards? or will all guards be killed silently? Will they go in disguised? etc)

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Generous Generous x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

This information is available in roleplay right now, and the wounds have been inflicted immediately. Assume medical attention has already been given on ships, so lodged arrows will have been removed and bandaged, and broken bones will have been set.

3. Deleted User 0206201901

Deleted User 0206201901 Beggar

rejoice rejoice rejoice

#3 Deleted User 0206201901, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  4. Bensonio

Bensonio Nordskag Enthusiast

Maximilian Typhonus sits in his corner and climbs into his box of shame

• Like Like x 2
  5. Eyrok

Eyrok Draconic dolt

There is not enough capslock in the world to express my reaction of horror and fear to this.
    I mean, that went south really, really fast.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. krios41

krios41 Privjet

and yet again proof that, foxes, are superior.

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 2
  7. Scribbe

Scribbe Scribma Male Staff Member Lore1

• Like Like x 1
    • Immersive Immersive x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vortex196

Vortex196 Sekhemib Sethirkopshef

Well.... Time to start flying the Qadir Sultanate banners...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ellimairy

Ellimairy Sophia Du Polignac

Well..

Great. We're dead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. HydraLana

HydraLana The Very Gay Walking Talking Lore Encyclopedia Staff Member Lore3

Leugel Viduggla outright cringed at the situation developing in Regalia when he received the news. Good gods, it was all falling to pieces. He immediately started to plan a visit Regalia to see his wounded friend and to poke around at just how desperate the situation was. He suddenly stopped turned to the window. He looked out over the slowly blooming lands of Nordskag. He wondered if the Empire had already put out the call to their allies to come to their aid. He hoped Nordskag would properly reply. He certainly would in any case.

((Well, wow, um, okay then. Looks like thinks are now a bit more equal...))​

#10 HydraLana, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  11. Bounden

Bounden Particular Pirates

-starts to write application to join battles-

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Satisarah

Satisarah Regalian Noble

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. Phon_Senajan

Phon_Senajan Out there ON the sun

Ricardo is going to be rescuing William, who's with me.

14. BillyTheScruffy

BillyTheScruffy Massive's Resident Law Enthusiast

Welp.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
  15. Ellimairy

Ellimairy Sophia Du Polignac

NO, BILLEH, SOPHIA WILL PAY, SHIT, NO NOBLE.. HA. I ment.. euh..

We'll visit?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Vortex196

Vortex196 Sekhemib Sethirkopshef

If Dakkar are allowed to join Infernus will help rescue william

17. G0atfather

G0atfather The G0atfather

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. G0atfather

G0atfather The G0atfather

Damon sighed. What to do, with Regalia falling to pieces he could possibly use this to gain political aid. But he had other problems to deal with. What to do what to do. If Regalia fell it would cause extreme difficulty for him and as such, it would be best to assist Regalia in thier efforts to win this war. Time to give Signore Fuchs a visit.
    @_Wedgit_ @Terence29

19. TheFinitePeach

TheFinitePeach The World's First Sentient Fruit

Soooo... if anyone was planning a rescue mission they should make an IC announcement on the forums asking for volunteers... *cough* *cough*

20. SacredTrout

SacredTrout Patriot

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Johto_Jo

Johto_Jo Irresponsible Father

Ou o qadir...

• Winner Winner x 2
  22. Film_Noir

Film_Noir Snowdonian Pirate

-sits in Watson's cafe with legs in bandages and crutches to the side, buying Grey Draegen all of the sandwiches and steak dinners that he could want to eat-

• Generous Generous x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #22 Film_Noir, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  23. Suzzie

Suzzie elf appreciator

But then I took an arrow to the knee. Or knees. @Film_Noir

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. KrakenLord01

KrakenLord01 That Guy

When Kemion hears of the battle, and the crippling injury that Chris, the one he was supposed to protect, had received, he curses himself. "Dammit!" he yells to himself, "Why couldn't I protect him!" As from then, guilt became his constant companion, reminding him of his failure to even show up in the battle to protect the House Black patriarch.

25. LumosJared

LumosJared Around

I gt u bro. @SupremeCripple

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  26. Grimmsome

Grimmsome mr. blue sky (living here today)

william was captured. with a concussion.

Right, so where's that old Coen armor I had, because I'm gonna chop those Qadir in half.

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
  27. Deadfoe51

Deadfoe51 Help

@caelisisawesome Time to shine (Or should I say, violently blow stuff up?).. Grab the explosives, and the depth charges and lets run in there, blowing stuff up, asking questions never on a suicide mission! All to save one person, and massacre several others. Why? Because that is what we excel at.

28. Bounden

@K9Kreature I'm coming for you Cass! As soon as I get around to finishing my app.

29. nielo5

nielo5 The bored one.

Is it me or would this be an exellent time for a certain demon to break free?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
  30. HereticTakao

HereticTakao dark spirited demidevil

Oh god yes. Though then regalia would fall.. and.. Oh my ew. Qadir Rulers. Or Demon?

31. TyrolleanEagle

TyrolleanEagle Grand Elder of Calemberg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ulric stared down at the blank piece parchment. He couldn't remember just how long he'd been sitting there, and quite frankly, he didn't care. The shrill screams of his soldiers still echoed in his head, dragging him back to his past nightmares of the battle of Calemberg. The cries of his people getting slaughtered by the Lo soldiers combined with the memories of his most recent loss were simply too much for the aging Knight of the Realm. With a shaky hand, he laid the quill back down next to the parchment. After what seemed like hours of simply staring down at the faded white of the parchment, he summoned the House scribe. "Ready for my word.." the Lord mumbled, his usual air of authority utterly absent.

To my most esteemed patrons and peers of the Imperial Court,

It is with utmost apology that I must report my decision to resign from my post as Grand Commander of the Grand Imperial Host. With the events of the Elven War, the Battle of Calemberg, and now this utter tragedy, all occurring in a very short span of time, I thought it the wisest choice to leave the responsibility to a more youthful soul while I continue my duties as the State's Arch-Chancellor. I simply pray that the Imperial Spirit may forgive me my failure, and know that I have spent my efforts to defend his holy Realm.

With regards,
    Lord Ulric Typhonus
    Lord of Calemberg and all titles thereunder,
    Arch-Chancellor of the Realm,
    Knight of the Viridian Order, Rear-Admiral of the Imperial Fleet,
    Patriarch of the Noble House Typhonus.
    Ulric slowly planted the Typhonus seal upon the letter, before dismissing the scribe with a mere listless wave. Resting his head in his hand, he slowly glanced out to the dimly lit Regalian skyline as dusk fell upon the city. And as for the screams, they continued on, relentlessly echoing within the Lord's head. If there was one thing Ulric was certain of in these unpredictable times, it was that he would not be sleeping tonight.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
  32. darkarely

darkarely The Black Wolf-Bear

When word ofWilliam's capture reached the forge a loud crash could be heard from the inside followed but a scream of sorrow. Dianne had broken down in tears, dropping to her knees. Her older brother now lost on the battle field, the tears flowed down her cheeks followed by a constant screaming. "No! William, oh please say this isn't true!", yet deep inside she knew it was true. Everything had just happened so fast and now she felt so alone...

33. Terence29

Terence29 "Kittyhulk"

The moment Ludwig arrived in the Fuchs Tower of Regalia, he let his body drop onto the large double bed with a loud, exhausted sigh. The bed ment for two, in which he had to sleep in alone for so long already. He stares at the ceiling, his body not moving an inch as he takes his time to reflect everything what happened. He was tired, almost dozing off as his head turns to the side, his gaze falling onto the spot where Helena has always slept until the war begun. He knew she would want to hear from him as soon as possible, thus he immediately rolled off the bed to set up the letter for his spouse. Meanwhile however, his mind was slightly clouded by thoughts of the fate of Cassius Paloin. He would probably not even care, if only he wasn't part of the family whose youngest and only daughter's virginity was taken by the earl a long while ago.

@Tullebokws @K9Kreature @Punchy_Panda

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 2
  34. indyfan98

indyfan98 I'm not narcissistic. I'm just better than you.

Really, though, if you look at the sheer facts, Regalia is screwed in this war. Yes, the islands are fairly small, but the Qadir are smart enough to stay inland as much as possible. The Qadir are stronger, faster, and more resilient then the Ailor. Plus, they have magic on their side. Fire, wind, water, light, etc. All of those would make Regalia's navy obsolete. The ships are made of wood, easily burnable, Qadir could use the wind to propel their ships faster, while all the longer hold back Regalia's navy. They could stir up rough waters around the navy.

Overall, Regalia's racism and attitude against Mages will be their downfall. Sailor have few special qualities, and Regalia's only strong point isn't suited for magic. If they decided to be smart and allow non-humans and mages, Regalia may have a fighting chance. Until then? Nope. The odds are between slim and none. Sad day if you're an Ailor. I wonder how Unionism would explain a loss in a war like this. Maybe it would fizzle out entirely?

35. HydraLana

HydraLana The Very Gay Walking Talking Lore Encyclopedia Staff Member Lore3

I would like to point out that they are now calling for help from their colonies. I would also suspect from their satellite states of Nordskag, the Ithanian Kingdoms, the Demilitarized Governate of the Southern Isles, and who knows who else is under their control. I believe that while Regalia's personal army is in shambles, all these states behind it might be enough to propel it to victory. In any case, I wonder how long the Qadir will last on the Rim Isles surrounded by the Regalian Navy without regular supplies arriving from their homeland. However, equally, your argument is sound.

Unionists would probably think the Imperial Spirit was unhappy with them or not with the current Emperor. However, that is just speculation.

36. HigherAltidude

HigherAltidude The Youngest Gun

Send Halp pls. Arms broken, cannot send letter.

37. indyfan98

indyfan98 I'm not narcissistic. I'm just better than you.

Though, look at the past here on Earth. Who would win in a fight, a troop of modern soldiers or an entire army of medieval soldiers? Probably the modern army. Better weapons that are able to kill most things. Regalia may not be outnumbered in the future, but they /are/ outgunned.

38. Osowiec

Osowiec A ragged wanderer.

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  39. Bounden

My god, I just want to go now, but like. The app is so long. I'll try to finish it this weekend.

40. Johto_Jo

Johto_Jo Irresponsible Father

You heretic; we don't worship the sun.

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 2