Aristocracy Registration Manual

Discussion in 'Roleplay System Manuals' started by MonMarty, Aug 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

This Thread explains the process of Aristocracy Registrations. Aristocracy Registrations allow players to register a wealthy family, as well as aesthetic titles for Characters. This thread will explain necessary information, as well as what is and isn’t possible. The first question that anyone should ask themselves is: “Do I need my Character to be wealthy?” A lot of Character concepts (like a hedge Knight, or a Kathar ritualist) do not function or become nonsensical when they are made wealthy. Not everyone needs to be rich, because being poor or just a commoner is also just as strong an aesthetic, and that lack (or abundance) of wealth means nothing for Progressions or on-server RP, it does not add or limit options whatsoever. The second question that anyone should ask themselves is: Should I do this alone, or with other people? We always prefer if players group up, players who group are able to better encourage each other to care and be motivated to RP, and have more people around to share their plans with. Solo-registrations are acceptable, we would just strongly prefer groups. With those two out of the way and you settled on wanting to Register Aristocracy, the next step is deciding the aesthetic.

What Designs are possible?
    Please choose carefully, it is not possible to swap unless you want to retcon a lot of earlier decisions and designs.
    • Court Family: A Court family (Blue Blood) is a family that holds a Regalian Title, is effectively "old money", and derives their wealth from the taxation of the land their family is tied to. What notably distinguishes them as different from regular Blue Blood, is that they are politically active at the Imperial Palace. This is an option for the families who indicate that they want to engage in political scheming, and that they are also okay with being the target of political scheming by other families, while creating some expectation of them to participate in high society life on the server at some point. It is always possible to switch to Blue Blood later. Court Families are allowed to have titles, but are limited in design (see below).
    • Blue Family: A Blue Family (Blue Blood) is the same as a Court Family, wealthy, money derived from the land they are tied to. Unlike Court Families however, they are not politically active, and you do not sign a waiver to be targeted for plotting. This is a good option for people who just want to roleplay the aesthetic of Nobility, without the expectation of "doing something" with it. Blue Families are allowed to have titles, but are limited in design (see below).
    • Red Family: A Red Family is non-noble wealthy in Regalia, with wealth being generated specifically from Regalia (as opposed to a Gray Family, which gets its money from abroad). Red Families are considered "New Money", they are aristocracy who made their money in business and enterprise, but they do not have the prestige of Noble titles, and as such are not considered Nobles, though they are always welcome at noble events, and should be addressed as Honorable Mister/Miss/other preferred address.
    • Gray Family: A Gray Family is non-noble wealthy in Regalia, with wealth being generated specifically outside of Regalia. For example, this can be immigrant nobility/people who fled their homeland with a lot of money, like Elves who fled persecution in the Allorn Empire, or Songaskians who fled the civil war to settle in Regalia. Gray Families are generally speaking pro-Regalia, even if they have ties to a different country, unlike Black Families. Gray Families do not have the prestige of Noble titles, and as such are not considered Nobles, though they are always welcome at noble events, and should be addressed as Honorable Mister/Miss/other preferred address.
    • Black Family: A Black Family is non-noble wealthy in Regalia, with wealth being generated specifically outside of Regalia, and specifically for nefarious purposes. Black Families are planted by foreign governments in Regalia to act as their spies and or saboteurs to hold back the Regalian Empire, and use their money to actively work against its better interests. Think for example of a wealthy Slizzar family that tries to manipulate politicians, or a pro-Allorn family that tries to sow discontent among the upper classes, while being funded by the Allorn nobility. Black Families do not have the prestige of Noble titles, and as such are not considered Nobles, though they are always welcome at noble events, and should be addressed as Honorable Mister/Miss/other preferred address.
    • Crime Family: A Crime Family is non-noble wealthy in Regalia, with wealth being generated inside Regalia (racketeering for example) or outside of Regalia (smuggling stuff into the Allorn Empire for example). Crime Families are generally native to Regalia, don't necessarily need to be pro-Regalia, but obviously don't benefit from the Empire's collapse into anarchy as this would negatively affect their ability to do the crime. If everyone else is poor, they become poor too, so they are incentivized to keep the situation stable. Crime Families do not have the prestige of Noble titles, and as such are not considered Nobles, nor do they have any form of address like Honorable. Whether or not they are permitted at Noble Events is very subjective. Crime Families are generally considered Nouveau-Riche, and should as such be permitted to go to events because they are wealthy, but if they are criminals or don't behave with a level of class, they can be ejected or denied entry at events. Obviously sewer dwelling Crime Families are not welcome at Noble events.
    Design Limitations
    • Kathar, Sihndar, Asha, Silontaar, Maraya Blue Blood (Court/Blue Family) are not possible due to their racial design. You can however play one of these Races as a Noble person if they were adopted /half-race born in an entirely Ailor/Elven family, but this needs to make sense from the lore's perspective and not just be some random decision.
    • Urlan Nobility is possible, but it should be clear that the Urlan was not born as an Urlan, and comes from a predominantly non-Urlan family.
    • Slizzar Nobility is possible, but not publicly known Slizzar. Slizzar Nobility is only possible for Slizzar who successfully keep up a disguise/fake persona for their Noble Family, though in that case all of them should be Slizzar, not just some of them.
    • Allar Nobility is possible, but never in the Archipelago itself, they should always be Nobility from Hadar, which is part of the Regalian Empire.
    • Domestic Nobility outside of the Archipelago is possible, but should still own some kind of estate property in the Archipelago. For example it is possible to play Nordskag/Ithanian Nobility whose majority fiefs/property is in those Kingdoms, but the family needs to still own at least a manor somewhere in the Regalian Archipelago to be valid in Regalia.
    • Disgraced Nobility (a family that was once noble, lost their titles, and is now just Red or Crime Family) is possible, though it must respect the limitations mentioned above. If a family was disgraced, they can only ever have been as high as Count/Baron. It is also not kosher to re-register a family that was active in the system before, but "failed" as a consequence of losing too many progressions or wars or conflicts or political schemes against other players. You are still permitted to play these characters/families as commoners however, they just cannot be rich because their money would have been taken by the state.
    • It is possible to slide a Black Family into a Gray Family. Character development is permitted for this group only. You should notify us in a Ticket when/if you do this, and in your Registration if you have the long-term plan to have your character change their mind because they realize they like Regalia, actually.
    • There is no religious limitation on registrations, but some combinations need to make sense. A Void worshiping Ailor family that is a Courtly Family can only do so if they keep their Void Worship hidden, because they would not have survived the 270's purges.
    • Bralona cannot be wealthy in any way shape or form. Not only have they been in Regalia for only a few months, Bralona never had contact with a wider world and thus don't understand currency/capitalism/finance in the same way others have spent centuries or generations building wealth. It is too much of a stretch to assume that a Bralona was able to learn the entire concept of capital wealth, and become rich in the span of 4 months.
    What things should I have ready?
    • Design: Design is derived from the choice above, it is the simple statement of “This Family is a Blue/Court/Red Family”, that is all.
    • Origins: Every family has an origin. Six generations ago a Knight was ennobled by the Emperor? Your Character’s grandfather found and sold an artifact and bought a trading company? Your Character got a large investment in the Masaya, stole it, and fled to Regalia? If they are Blue Blood, what province do they hail from? (it is important to note here, you may not play first generation ennobled, or even second or third. You have to be at least fourth generation nobility, if you want to be Blue/Court Family).
    • Theme: This is a general description for your Family, like what race are they? What makes them stand out from other families? Why should I want to roleplay with them? All kinds of things that make them stand out from Families of the same race and religion.
    • Wealth: How did your family acquire wealth exactly, and what do they do to keep wealthy? Grain selling business? Fruit plantations? Incense Factory? Trade with the Songaskian Masaya? Mercenary Chapter? Just Taxes? Tax avoidance schemes?
    • Leader: Who is the leader? If they are Blue/Court Family, do they need a title? Are they a Baron or a Baroness or a Baroq or a Count? Titles are not mandatory, many Blue Blood Families in fact don’t have one, but the option is open to you if you want one. You should also pick a Barony name. For example the Barony of Upperton in Redding (Dragenthal). Only Blue/Court Families get Titles.
    • List of Players: How many people you have as part of your family at the outset.
    Some of this information may be moderated by Staff members. For example, it’s not possible to have made wealth off selling Muskets for 4 generations, since these weapons have only existed for five years maximum. It is not possible to be a grain-growing family in Dressolini lands, because these lands are infertile and don’t grow grain. Stuff that maintains the logic of the lore will be enforced by Lore Staff, but in general, you shouldn’t expect to be rejected for stuff here.

What could cause me to be rejected?
    While Aristocracy Registration is a Registration, not an Application (thus not technically requiring approval), there are some corner cases where we think a concept is just too outlandish, or just would not work. We have a certain vision of what a crime family should be, and also a very specific vision of what it should not be. The Godfather movies are great crime family movies, the wacky adventures of the Family Guy show don’t make for a good Aristocratic Family. Some Players prefer to play quirky high-school teen Characters, which is absolutely fine, but if we feel they cannot correctly portray a specific type of class/decency in rp, then we will be forced to recommend them joining another family instead of running one. There are some other things that might give cause for a rejection, such as rule violations, or some races just not being suitable for Aristocracy, like Yanar and Bralona, without another Race being their Family Leader. In any and all cases, a rejection will be followed with a recommendation on how to make the concept workable.

How should I send in my Registration?
    You send in your Registration through the RP Community Discord Ticket Bot, by providing your: Design, Origins, Theme, Wealth, Leader, and a list of all players part of the family, while the person sending in the Ticket will be considered the OOC leader and the one responsible for the Registration. This Registration should then be replied to within 48 hours (may take a bit longer than other tickets due to double-verifying data in the Registration). You may also be prompted to expand information or provide additional data to be canonized onto the Wiki.

Example Registration to send in to the Ticket:

Hello there, this is <Username>, I am Registering for Aristocracy. The following information was requested on the Registry Manual:

**Design:** The <family name> Family is a Blue Family.
    **Origins:** The Family was founded by the matriarch in the year 210 AC when the Emperor Allestrain rewarded her for her military service as Commander to him. The Family has been a military oriented family ever since and raises its members to become part of the Regalian Military with loyalty to the Emperors.
    **Theme:** This Family is a Solvaan Altalar Family. They are a Unionist Solvaan family that still holds a great deal of respect for the Estellon faith, thus being a bridge between the two social groups, always advocating for Estellon worshipers to be more pro-Regalia.
    **Wealth:** This Family is not particularly wealthy, but they live well off due to the lands they progressively accumulated over the years, each matriarch expanding the family reach through marriage, or being granted more land by successive Emperors for military service. As such most of their money comes from taxation from these lands in service to the Empire.
    **Leader:** This Family is lead by <Character Name>, played by me. I would like to register the Title of Baroness of Matalaan in the province of Ysel. (Only Blue Bloods get Titles.)
    **List of Players:** Myself (MonMarty), <Character Name’s sister>, played by OkaDoka, <Character Name’s business partner>, played by Ocularum.

Other Questions and Answers?

I was Noble in the previous system, what happens to my History?

It becomes “Don’t ask, Don’t tell”, like we usually do with retconning. Your Character still had all those experiences, jobs, and activities, they just weren’t a Duke or Grand Duke while doing them. They were a Baroness or Countirh, only a minor perspective adjustment. If you chose not to be Blue Blood in the new Registry, it just shifts to having to change the backstory to having been Commoner. The history of players being Dukes is now lore-incompliant, save for the Legacy nobles on the Imperial Family page.

What titles can we choose from?

Only Blue Bloods get Titles. You can choose: Baron(m), Baroness(f), Baroq(nb), Count(m), Countess(f), Countirh(nb). In any and all cases, regardless of whether a blue blood family member is titled or not, they are all referred to as Lord(m), Lady(f), Lirh(nb), regardless of circumstances. Title Address is only different for Ministers (Eminence) and the Princeroyals (Highness). There is no foreign nobility that is acknowledged in Regalia, so even if your Character was related to pseudo royalty in the Allorn Empire, it doesn't matter in Regalia because nobody acknowledges foreign royalty as real and legitimate.

I added a new Family member, do I register their title?

No, you only register the title of the Family Leader (if they have one, which is not needed, just optional). Titles beyond the Family Leader are not registered, because they change too often, and don’t matter, as all Nobles regardless of title or title-less are referred to as Lord, Lady, Lirh.

I am retiring this Family, do I need to remove Registration?

Only if you want to. It is not mandatory, because Rp history is RP history, and keeping that registration Canon on the Wiki can be beneficial for future Rp references. In some cases we may choose to rescind or revoke a registration due to a player being banned or misbehaving. We may also choose to purge history records if we feel they have had little impact.

I would like to completely change my Registration from the ground up?

Send in a completely new Registration, but mention this registration should overwrite the previous one. Please be aware it is not possible to change between Family Types without retconning a lot of roleplay.

Can I register a Family with two leaders?

Sure. Some families have duo leaders, or a couple leading them. In such a case, register both as Leader, and request a title registration for both (if applicable). Only one needs to send in a ticket.
    When can I expect to see my Registration on the Wiki?
    We currently do not have the Registration process ready yet for the Wiki.
    Where can I see my (and others') Registration?
    The Public list of Aristocrats can be found here.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    #1 MonMarty, Aug 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.