Archived Alchemy And You: Why I Think It's Largely Balanced, And How To Fix That Which Isn't

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTerrawr

King of the Silencio Empire
Reaction score
Faction
Silencio
Kingdom
Silencio
Right then, as promised by me last night I have done some research and have come to the personal conclusion of this.

Alchemy is balanced on the whole, but there are a few things which could be edited to make it almost perfectly balanced in my opinion. This is all that this is. What I think.

Alchemy, as most of you know, adds 11 brand new potions to the game utilising already existing potion effects within Minecraft. These, and levels unlocked, are below.

125- Dullness and Haste

250- Absorption and Leaping

375- Health Boost
and Hunger

500- Nausea
and Blindness

625- Saturation

750- Decay

1000- Resistance

Those highlighted actually have an effect on PVP, the only one which doesn't is haste because to the best of my knowledge it doesn't increase the amount of hits that can occur due to the invincibility given for a small amount of time after being hit so you can't get destroyed by a million people at once.

Basically, how this will work is I will go through all the potions one at a time, editing in those I don't put on the main post.

Dullness

This potion decreases the speed of swinging by what I understand to be 20%. Now those can really be a pain if hit by it, as it basically turns every 5 potential hits into 4 which can be critical in a PVP fight. But this can easily be countered by Milk, pearling, or just dodging the potion or running from the opponent. BALANCED

Absorption

This potion has been technically in the game in the form of golden apples but this allows you to add an extra 2 hearts on top of the 2 from just tier one from a golden apple. As these hearts don't regen, this is pretty balanced as one health pot tier 2 can add the same amount of hearts that this gives your. BALANCED

Leaping

This potions gives the jump boost effect. If anyone thinks this could break PVP, do you even remember the days of bloodlust? Speed 2 and Leaping could be used as a way to avoid hits but could be very easily countered. BALANCED

Health Boost

This is identical to absorption, apart from the fact that the hearts can regen. The only downside to this, is the fact that the hearts don't begin full and need to be regened, as well as having a time limit. This would be useful if you actually potted up before running out,, but then you only have a very small time left on the potion. BALANCED

Hunger

This gives the opponent the same effect as eating rotten flesh. To be honest, this can be countered by just eating at twice the pace for the length of time in effect. BALANCED

Nausea

The beauty that is the shaking screen. My gods this thing is a pain, but to the best of my knowledge is actually much easier to counter as it hardly lasts for any length of time. Alone, this potion is hardly a threat. BALANCED

Blindness

This is the bane of all PVPers. It makes you unable to see and can be combined with potions nausea and night vision and BAM. Black. Screen. This one can be countered by milk, pearling away or just accepting your fate (not really a counter but hey). As such, earns my first UNBALANCED

Saturation

The opposite of hunger, stops food level going down. Really. Not. That. Great. BALANCED

Decay

Poison that can kill. Although thanks to @Kapry I have since learnt that they do nearly half the damage due to hitting half as often. The comparison to poison is 25 ticks to 40 ticks. Thank you Kapry, this gets a BALANCED

Resistance

If this lasted for any decent length of time it would be so op, but it doesn't, only giving you protection 6 if you are in god armour for a few seconds. BALANCED
Time for a few options to balance those that are broken. What I propose is splash milk with a twist, making milk only effect negative potion effects. This would take inventory space, meaning most people would only carry 2-3 per raid. This means people can't just spam you with debuff a without you at least having a chance to fight back. Not actually sure if this is code able, but if it is, then i really think it should be implemented. This would also stop it being used as a weapon to remove buffs from opponents.

Another option is limiting the amount of potion effects a player can have at once, to 2 or 3. This really would change PVP forever and would require testing on a massive scale.

Lastly, my least favourite option. Removal of the unbalanced potions. I really don't like this one, as I think all of them have a place and with a bit of tweaking could become balanced and accepted into the PVP community as a whole.

Comments bellow please, and if any of my facts are wrong then please do tell me with evidence so I can edit them.

Thanks for reading!

Also, any flame I will kill the people responsible.

Last edited:
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Decay

Poison that can kill. I can see this completely replacing poison as the go to health lowering debuff. Put with poison this could be abused to lower health so much. As such, I think this honestly deserves an UNBALANCED

Yet, you forgot that Decay does less damage than poison.
While poison does 1 damage every 25 ticks, decay does 1 damage every 40 ticks.
Therefore and because of the hard acquisition of poison potatos I doubt that potions of decay will be able to replace potions of poison. I rather think that people will use it as an "addition". This of course requires them to waste more space in their inventory. And for all these reasons I think, that potions of decay are not unbalanced.

I like the blindness potions, and while they are strong I don't think they are unbalanced. God weapons are strong (and amazing) and no one says that they should be removed (no one that anyone takes seriously anyhow). Also add in the fact that some groups will have issues making large amounts of blindness pots due to lack of ink sacs. While not everyone has this issue, I know some worlds just don't spawn squid for some reason.

I think if the time on blindness was decreased somewhat it would make it fairly balanced. The same I would think would be true for Decay.

If I had to guess it shouldn't be that hard to make essentially a splash milk potion. (Don't quote me on that)
The only part I'm not sure about is if any of the normally unused potion ID's are currently unused in Massive.

Yet, you forgot that Decay does less damage than poison.
While poison does 1 damage every 25 ticks, decay does 1 damage every 40 ticks.
Therefore and because of the hard acquisition of poison potatos I doubt that potions of decay will be able to replace potions of poison. I rather think that people will use it as an "addition". This of course requires them to waste more space in their inventory. And for all these reasons I think, that potions of decay are not unbalanced.

Kapry,, thank you for that. My sources said they did identical damage. I will edit my first post accordingly.

I think if the time on blindness was decreased somewhat it would make it fairly balanced. The same I would think would be true for Decay.

If I had to guess it shouldn't be that hard to make essentially a splash milk potion. (Don't quote me on that)
The only part I'm not sure about is if any of the normally unused potion ID's are currently unused in Massive.

I don't think making splash milk would be hard, but having it just effect debuffs so it can't be used as a weapon could be harder.

what about just disabeling it's splash version? people could still umake them, use them but not for pvp.

It would remove the main and really the only point of them. Which idiot what's to put blindness on themselves?

Resistance has been fixed and now you can only get it at 1000, UNLESS you already have obtained it.

Blindness in combination with other potions is what makes it balanced-- it's not JUST blindness that causes the black screen, it's blindness combined with other debuffs that actually means you have to dodge/avoid the other debuffs. It isn't /that/ hard to avoid if you pearl out or see the enemy start to pull out their pots.

I think it gives a bit more of an 'opportunity' in battle for people who aren't the type to go and throw themselves into battle-- it gives people who might want to focus in other specialties (alchemists, mages, etc) a chance to run into battle with their own strengths and gives them a fair chance at defending themselves (pot the enemy, flee to safety) if they aren't good in combat.

Let the alchemy race begin.. But really I think they need to make a blindness grenade and not have it affect the player kinda like a smoke screen but it only lasts a few seconds.

The only real killer about Blindness is you can't sprint. On its own, it's not really that useful. you have to think about how much inventory space you have and how many things pvpers take into combat already. Using the blindness-night vision combo is almost impractical

Cay is actively programming MassiveTraits, which will allow people to choose traits that will give additional attack buffs, debuffs, abilities, and immunities, replacing the races and vampire plugins. I expect that Immunity to blindness will be a trait that can be chosen, but will it be important enough for anyone to choose it over one of the other traits. The idea is that counters to almost anything will be available, but you will have to choose which ones you will use, as you can't have all of them.

Cay is actively programming MassiveTraits, which will allow people to choose traits that will give additional attack buffs, debuffs, abilities, and immunities, replacing the races and vampire plugins. I expect that Immunity to blindness will be a trait that can be chosen, but will it be important enough for anyone to choose it over one of the other traits. The idea is that counters to almost anything will be available, but you will have to choose which ones you will use, as you can't have all of them.

A million thumbs up to the entire Massivecraft staff for doing that. I really think traits will effect the server, and change it, in a million and one different positive ways. It sounds brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.