Archived /afk

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

Sephite

Lillith ✤ TheFairy
Reaction score
Faction
Wrath
Hi there,

I don't know if this was already suggested, or if anything similar already exists in game. If so, ignore/lock this thread please.
(I didn't find anything so far)

Following scenario:

Sometimes I go away from my keyboard for just ten minutes (to get a tea for example), come back and missed either a few whispers completely or my faction members didn't realise I said I was afk. This maybe doesn't seem like a problem, but I have heard of factions losing out on alliances just because of this (because the others thought they were ignored).
Thus I suggest to implement the function "/afk".

By writing /afk in the chat or not moving for - let's say - three to five minutes, the player should get tagged as being afk and people who try to whisper this player, should get a message saying something like "this person is afk and might not read your message". As soon as the player is moving this should be removed automatically.

The advantages would be, that we can check is someone might be away from the keyboard by simply sending them a whisper + less misunderstandings (like feeling ignored).

Disadvantage: if there is a written output of the function in the faction chat (like "PlayerX is now afk"), a player could misuse this to "spam afk messages" (on the other hand: if someone wants to spam. they would do it anyway)

I'm not sure if this is easily implemented, or if there are any implications I didn't think of, so please leave your comment.

-Sephi

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This already exists in BukkitEssentials, which is on almost every server these days. I would expect it to be on massive but players just don't have perms to use it.

This already exists in BukkitEssentials, which is on almost every server these days. I would expect it to be on massive but players just don't have perms to use it.
Well if players don't have permission to use it, it is not a feature present on MassiveCraft.

An AFK feature is very much possible to create. However this must be done by actual server staff and not from a third-party plugin. This is for the sake of compatibility with MassiveChat (and other plugins that might use it).
That being said there is ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEE that this will ever be implemented. Perhaps it will perhaps not.

I mean you can always log out. It isn't like the old days where you logged out and the server was 157/150 and you were a non prem trying to struggle your way in.
I hate that 'cause my old laptop takes ages to log back in again :) Not worth it for just getting my tea or quickly putting the laundry in the machine..

Well if players don't have permission to use it, it is not a feature present on MassiveCraft.

An AFK feature is very much possible to create. However this must be done by actual server staff and not from a third-party plugin. This is for the sake of compatibility with MassiveChat (and other plugins that might use it).
That being said there is ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEE that this will ever be implemented. Perhaps it will perhaps not.
So can you tell us how big our chance for that feature is? :3

I personally find that when you change your nickname to 'AFK' or message someone you were having conversation with, it tends to send the message pretty well. Also, roleplayers often stand still talking for a good while, so that might get in the way.

I personally find that when you change your nickname to 'AFK' or message someone you were having conversation with, it tends to send the message pretty well. Also, roleplayers often stand still talking for a good while, so that might get in the way.

As someone who doesn't RP, changing my nickname to "Afk" won't help because someone in another faction whispering me something, won't see my nickname.

Again I don't know if this is possible, but what if the status doesn't trigger as long as you are writing something? (Then again, I don't know how long RPers are standing still sometimes, without writing anything..)

As someone who doesn't RP, changing my nickname to "Afk" won't help because someone in another faction whispering me something, won't see my nickname.

Again I don't know if this is possible, but what if the status doesn't trigger as long as you are writing something? (Then again, I don't know how long RPers are standing still sometimes, without writing anything..)
Role players can stand for hours without moving, depending on the situation. If they were deemed afk after a few minutes, it could be irritating-- though on the servers I've played on, if you typed, it would consider you non-afk, so that wouldn't be much of an issue.