Shelved Character Taalsen

Discussion in 'Character Sheets' started by Caelamus, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Caelamus

Caelamus Sir Honeybear the chronic druid main Supremium

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Art by @FutureTeller
    Some good Music.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Full Name: Taalsen Netollihua or Bramblehorn
    Other Names/Past Names: Cempaka, Aerbueari, Roan.
    Wild-Name: Watchful River Hawk.
    Aliases: Karn, Autumnshade.
    Race: Ferlon Yanar.
    Sex: Agender.
    Gender: Male, he/him or they/them (Indifferent, but more masculine leaning.)
    Sexuality: Demisexual.
    Occult: Born exist mage with magicks steeped in nature, healing and other restorative arts.
    Eye Color: Bright Glowing Lime-Green, the magic of nature bleeds from their eyes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Where Religion is concerned they use to have mixed thoughts and opinions. Originally they were raised in a cult setting many years ago and went the route of bitter resentment to towards their parents, and their religious beliefs, for a lack of freedom. This background lended to them knowing much about the topic of religion across Aloria and the differing opinions of other faiths as well their own native Estelley tenets and teachings. Although as time went on they have progressively changed many of their previous perceptions about religion, particularly their own native faith of Estelley after having spent some time around the community in Floralcourt, many who were their own extended family, and even growing close with some others. Within more recent years, in contrast to their past, they've begun rediscovering religion and growing more religious and open to faith. Rekindling lost beliefs once forgotten during their years of childhood, faith divorced from their parent's dogma. Although they are far from their parent's zealotry and radical ideologies, theirs are much more tame and centric around a caretaker of others in need. Fulfilling their self-perceived mission and purpose as a keeper and protector of nature and all life that dwells within it.

They occupy the common fantasy class trope of a druid. Their spells and abilities tend to all be centered around nature and are motivated by nature, albeit where most druid archetypes are concerned solely with the protection of nature theirs is more focused on the preservation of life itself and the perpetuation of the cycle. All life, no matter how big or small. Once upon a time their ideologies conflicted with their current modern beliefs, in a past life they use to be a resentful destroyer of things who became motivated by hate but has since sought redemption and progressed past the transgressions of their youth. They more often than not also represent some other tropes and archetypes, namely a down to earth sage who might offer wisdom, or some eccentric hedge wizard with zany endeavors. The current them is more of a pacifist, out of reverence for life and nature but not so much a pacifist they will stand idle by while others seek to end life and the delicate balance therein. This has also lead to their being an incredibly neutral character in their alignment.

Their latest incarnation, Taalsen, is also a play on the gentle giant archetype. But some things about Taalsen are fundamentally different to their past incarnations. Where their latest true incarnation, Aerbuari, was entirely a pacifist, such is not the case for Taalsen. As an individual their current incarnation believes more strongly in responsibility and the natural order posed by this philosophical question;

"If a bird flies into my window and breaks its wing, then I am responsible for it and its well being. The window is not natural and I put the window there so it is my duty to take in and heal the bird. If a bird flies into a tree and breaks its wing, then I must leave it be. I did not put the tree there and both are elements of nature. The bird could be sick, could be wounded, to act is to interfere in the natural cycle."
    Although, this line of thought does not prevent Taalsen from deigning to assist those they care about. Such as a band of friends who do battle with demons, vampires or the like. It carries with it more nuance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Combat Style
    Attack: 7 Magic
    Defense: 5 Wisdom

6 W
    isdom

I. Degrading Command
    II. Attack Command
    III. Defend Command
    IV. Champion Command
    V. Overwhelm Command
    VI. Resist Command
    Chem Technique Parry (Yanar Free Pack)

Magic 8 Exist Aligned
    I. Magic Snare
    II. Magic Smog
    III. Magic Curse
    IV. Magic Resist
    V. Magic Cleanse
    VI. Magic Barrier
    VII. Magic Isolate
    VIII. Shapeshift Pack (Magical Variant)
    Magic Revive (Yanar Free Pack)

Other Details;
    Taalsen adopted a goat named Petunia who later became bound to them as a Mage Familiar. The goat's missing horn was regrown like the branches of a tree and their eyes share the same lime-green glow as their owner, bleeding with verdant nature magicks. Petunia is sometimes used as a conduit for Taalsen's spells.

They use a combination of nature and animal aesthetics in order to cast spells. For example, Magic Smog is telegraphed by a murder of crows being sent into a target's face. Or Magic Resist as a target growing temporary bark armor. Their combat style is similar to a Leshen's, recognizable from Witcher 3.

Taalsen is a Marken.

[​IMG]
    Common
    Natl
    Altalar
    Sinnayed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]Base Self.
    Rather than a complete overhaul of themselves a person, Taalsen as an incarnation maintains many of the aesthetic aspects of the former and is more or less a respectful play upon the transition of becoming Urlan and the motives that lead to the change. As they were always very fascinated by the Urlan as a culture and people. Taalsen resembles that of an Urlan but lean and athletic with a Stag-like appearance with long wooden almost tree branch like antlers sprouting from their head. Their eyelashes like petals of a beautiful rose surrounding their lime green glowing eyes. While they still grow the same roses that Aerbueari had prior and don't look all that different palette wise. Taalsen was a form brought about during a period of life wherein they were enduring a lot of abuse and hardship, and to better fit in among their Urlan friends.

One thing is constant about the character is, they are always autumnal in aesthetic. Perpetually so.
    [​IMG]

Marken Form
    Their Marken Form resembles that of a grizzly bear with bright and shiny brown fur with the same glowing verdant eyes that their usual self possesses. They have a degree of control over their Marken Form, so, seeing it is rare. There is IC history regarding it and a story to tell.
    [​IMG]

Alternate Appearances
    They have a variety of different forms that they take although all bare some similarities to eachother and it's harder for many of them to be considered disguises unless they are deliberately trying to as something outside of their aesthetic norm, like disguising as a stereotypical ailor wizard with a long graying beard. (It's fine to identify Aerbueari/Roan/Cempaka/Taalsen as all being one person due to extreme similarities and the fact they use the same color palette.)
    Aerbueari, their latest and most prominent past personality and version of themselves.
    [​IMG]

Cempaka, their more Allar-like version of themselves. This form is a reflection and homage to a significant chunk of their past studying and living in the proximity of the Allar culture and people.
    [​IMG]

Roan, a lesser known version of Taalsen's self. A recent incarnation that focused more on Taalsen's abilities as a craftsman.
    [​IMG]

Their parent's armor, they sometimes use. Not an Enchant Shift, but a sort of alternate of themselves anyway.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    -Born among the halcyon days of the Regalian winter months into a rather strict family setting filled with expectations of them the moment they first laid eyes upon the world. Their origins mirror the phrase "out of the pan, and into the fire" very well.

-The early years of their life were the foundation of their skills, their knowledge, their magespark, their abilities and set the stage for their early rebellious attitude that they eventually grew out of several wyldbirth later into their adult and eventual latter years. It was here that their knowledge had been fostered before it truly blossomed. Much of their adolescent years were spent working in a shop.

-In their early adulthood, they immediately began enlisting in foreign wars overseas in the Regalian Military to serve on the front lines. This saw their feet tread many different places and if one assumes that they had a hand in most modern Regalian theaters of war, they might not be incorrect in such belief. War was a big part of their life, war is what defined much of who they are and who they have come to be. They strive to be loyal to their home and state, as Regalia is their place of birth, their place of origin. Many of their abilities became defined by what they did on the front. Their knowledge of crafting came from repairing fortifications, fixing broken arms and armor. Their medical knowledge from fixing broken people. To this very day they still serve the army as a soldier on-call whenever there is a major conflict. Albeit, with a stronger focus on preserving life as opposed to taking it as they did so many years ago. It's speculated they have a kill count somewhere around a hundred of the Empire's enemies from battlefield alone.

-Their adult years is where they truly began to differ from their origins. They began to rebel more harshly against the strictness, the doctrines and expectations set by their parents and family and sought their own path free of they and theirs. The seeds of resent planted in their childhood and past self began to now blossom into a flower that could be both described as beautiful as it was deadly, like the red hot eruption of a volcano after years of immense pressure. Though, one good thing came of such times, during this point of their life they began to truly demonstrate their true talents and started working in more clinical settings tending to the sick and injured after having spent hard years to gain their current level of competency and they had also brought forth new souls of their own into the world. Of whom they loved and nurtured and sought to give the life they could not have themselves. One free of the burden of pressure, expectation and a life predestined for them. Theirs was their own, even if it were to go astray.

-A veteran of many things and many different paths and lives by this point into the latter years of their life as an adult. Only when the roots that heralded them into the world had all but withered or burned away could they truly be themselves and so they left Regalia for an extended period of time to perform some act of soul searching to discover themselves and who they wanted to be free from the weight of what others wanted. It took them a very long time to mellow and to forget, they went through many different processes of Wyldbirth until the resent they once felt could not be felt anymore. The emotions and the attachments of their past all became a blurry black and white image. Finally when who they were before had died, and Aerbueari was truly born did they return to Regalia.

-In the years after many trial and tribulations wracked Regalia to ensure the roots that once bore them had all but burned or withered did Aerbueari return to see the fruits of the souls that they had heralded into the world. They found themselves, pleased, warm and heart felt with a new perspective, face, name, age and found they were entirely a new person free from whomever or whatever they were before and cast aside it's memory save for few things. Though they wrote their life in text so they could remember their mistakes, they could no longer recall their emotion. Now Aerbueari roams Regalia, their place of birth, once more. But this time in their own footsteps and ever evolving.

Other Lifestory related details, some plothooks and recent events;
    -Roan was one of Aerbueari's favorite incarnations. But their current, Taalsen, is a swift runner up for that title and feels much more close to who they truly are at their core. Although, they do not care to recall their past incarnations and especially not their birth form and name. Something only spoken to the few who still remember.

-They have served in almost every single modern Regalian war. Against the princes overseas in Daen, Dread War, Freya Lo, Sendrass and the list goes on. To say that they're a veteran is an understatement to an extent. Half of their life was spent on the battlefield in service to the Regalian Empire. This leaves many open ends for them to have served alongside any other character who was also a soldier and veteran of many of the modern wars.

-They were cornered in a cave one day by a Marken who they had just barely kept at bay until Meriya came and saved them from an untimely death by sacrificing both of her hands and part of her arms. A secret seldom shared by Aerbueari is that they did not depart that cave unscathed, they were clawed by the beast and bitten on their collarbone. In the days to come they were transformed into a Marken themselves. Although they keep their 'status' heavily under wraps and often use herbal remedies to keep their secret suppressed.

• Winner Winner x 4
    #1 Caelamus, Nov 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  2. BiBiBirdie

BiBiBirdie The Bird Monarch

Claimed! Expect a review shortly.

3. BiBiBirdie

4. Jouster

Jouster stutterer

Reviewed and approved.

5. Caelamus

Edited abilities to be more evened out. Needs a new reviewer.

6. BiBiBirdie

7. Caelamus

@BiBiBirdie Retooled Aerbueari's kit. The new mage melee attack was a game changer for the character.

8. BiBiBirdie

9. Caelamus

I play two mages with similar proficiency investments but want to clarify Aerbueari more as a support mage.

10. BiBiBirdie

11. Caelamus

@BiBiBirdie Added on the commutable point buys since I waited to see what was happening with those. I want to have cute little living wood golem things. But also swapped around greater illusion for greater casting. It was sort of weird to me that this character who is predominantly a mage can't shoot people with magic.

12. ezalB

ezalB Student of Hydration Supremium

Which Engineering Branch?

Edit: that was good timing with the update

#12 ezalB, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  13. Caelamus

Actually I decided to just remove the commutable because none of them are particularly appealing for this character.

Though I'm kind of considering removing Cahalism as it's kind of removing motivation to play the character.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ezalB

Sounds like I smell Cahalism destruction then.

(i approve for right now though.)

15. Caelamus

I'll let you know if I decide to take Cahalism out back like old yeller.

• Powerful Powerful x 1
  16. Caelamus

@ezalB Cahalism was taken out back and put down. I didn't change the tag because in actuality it was just removing a single line from the app.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Caelamus

@ezalB I finally bit that bullet I mentioned and overhauled this character to be entirely support focused from the technician proficiency. Big changes to proficiency but I actually sort of kept well within the theme of the character? I'm not sure how to apply livingwood to arctech, the design is very magical by appearance and I think that's fine.

Big changes to the visual section. Aerbueari's actual face/appearance is nebulous by intent and design with some consistent themes. Also provided a whole gallery for all their various things. Armor skin, altered self, mechwalker, mechsuit etc to look at.

18. ezalB

It's a big, massivechange, but one we discussed and I think will be enjoyable for the character. Arctech is pretty malleable due to a lack of set color, so I think you can get away with that preeetty easily. Re-approved.

19. Caelamus

I am once again asking for your re-review. A lot of changes in a short time span but this one is more of an IC change to an extent.

-Aerbueari is no more. Their perspective and chapter closed by their own decision.

-They are now Roan, which is a lot more dwarf-like in aesthetic and places much heavier emphasis on their niche as a support character to others via crafting/healing etc. They are now an entirely new character. To an extent. Yanar reincarnation.

-I did swap some proficiencies around after roleplaying with the new kit and getting a feel for it but the changes I made were very small. I swapped out one special to have rocks and took away two of their more functional abilities in favor of reinforcing their new niche. Illusionism swapped to materialism because being able to pull materials out of a pocket dimension and craft things is much cooler. They do not need a disguise, they have mechsuit which is more theme fitting. I also got rid of quick cover because it makes no sense to the character. Mechwalker should be their only avenue to CRP and even then that's not really their niche. I replaced it instead with automaton because it makes more sense for the 'I build things' character to build things.

20. ezalB

To be honest, I'm surprised you didn't go with Vivitech. I feel like that fits the pseudo-organic vibe you're going for a bit more whereas Arctech is always colored metal, but, that's just my personal take. You can also select a Technician Branch in addition to what Roan has too if you'd like.

Besides that, I say o7 to you Aerbueari, and welcome to Roan.

Re-approved.

21. Caelamus

@ezalB Swapped Parkour for mount. I ride goat.

• Useful Useful x 1
  22. Caelamus

@BiBiBirdie I cannot have technician no more. I require re-review.

23. BiBiBirdie

24. Caelamus

@BiBiBirdie Updated in lieu of recent edits to spell point buy. Their old setup was no longer viable. Maybe another update soon pending custom kit but this is a temporary solution to make them functional as of right now if things were to occur in roleplay.

Also updated some other things like making their military service and its fundamental part in their character more apparent under life story. But that was all outside of proficiency changes and updates to their specials. I also forgot to add specials apparently as the Yanar racial gives three additional ones.

Feel free to consider this a complete re-review. I changed a fair bit that needs review.

25. WingedJade

WingedJade Seiros Enthusiast Staff Member Lore1

26. Caelamus

@WingedJade Hello I require re-review! Not a lot changed, I just fit in their custom kit and adjusted their spell point buy to accommodate. I also aged the character down significantly to be more young and less depresso.

27. Mollymock

Mollymock Regalian Citizen