Add Some Unique Rental Regions To Regalia

Discussion in 'Feature & Idea Discussion - Archive' started by FireFan96, Jun 9, 2018.

1. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

I might be a bit jumbled up on this post since I'm sorta spit balling on paper, but I wanted to put the idea out on the forums for other people to think or comment on nevertheless. So apologies if the suggestion seems a bit less structured than my usual ones.

Anyways, I feel that there is little incentive to have a rental region in Regalia nowadays. Recently, I rented a harbor region, and decorated it to look really nice. But at the end of the day, that was the only use I would ever get out of it. So I unrented it, and hoped that another player may enjoy the decorations and find use for it.

This brings me to the bulk reason for this suggestion: district death. To keep it short and sweet, the only regions that see any real activity are the regions that fall under system management, or regions close to system managed ones. Main street properties, Emporium region, and Charter houses. While the goals of these systems are great in drawing RP in, in adversely draws RP from any other places in Regalia, leaving behind "dead districts" that simply exist.

The example I like to point to with this is the Harbor District. It was one of the first districts to be released in the large expansion of the Regalian city. Day one of region access had a lot of sniping wars draw out, which while some arguments started up, at the end of the day it highlighted a fact: that players wanted to own these regions. After the rent wars ended, groups of players began to set up shops and houses, RPing solely in the district that catered to a more "naval/pirate" theme. There were two sewer entrances, and a underground bar perfect for the seedy atmosphere associated with it. It was great. Until the bar went inactive, and slowly players started to not have a reason to be in the harbor, eventually leading to a mass exodus back into the city. This was when I decided to create my noble family, since the RP for the harbor died.

The Commerce District went up soon after, but there was even less fuss about it since it was so far away. Then the dragon isle and southern trade district came up, and it had the same minimal hype before dying out. When the district near the prison went up, nobody went for those regions (probably since they were small and expensive)

What I want to suggest, is the implementation of a few "unique" rental regions to these quieter districts in an effort to highlight some reason to visit them and maybe RP in them when the tavern scene is too bland. Some of the regions I thought of were the following:
    • Tradeships. Two years ago, these regions were a hot commodity. I remember when there was a huge ship able to be rented, and players fought over it like no other. Nowadays, there are only three merchant ships, and a slew of more "social ships" that are docked closer to the city. I think Regalia could benefit by placing a few more of these ships on the southern district, which has docks, but no ships. Maybe it draws RP, maybe it doesn't. But it gives some quick aesthetic updates without gutting and rebuilding a whole district.
    • Syndic bases. This was another interesting design. While Crime is situated in the slums, I feel that it isolates the impact to the rest of the city. With guard charters playing border patrol, there is more difficulty in committing even a petty crime in the city. The Syndic bases were a rental region that dotted around the main city, where there were black markets set up. They were criminal safe havens from the guards, who had a hard time infiltrating these places. I think if these regions popped up in a few areas of the city, it would provide a nice incentive to do crime outside of the slums, and maybe have a gang having their main outposts there instead of where they are presently. Smuggling tunnels under the slums that connect to the old sewer entrances would connect these rental regions to the slum hub.
    This was about everything I had to write about. I think a lot of these districts deserve some love, but the present atmosphere makes using rental regions pointless.

Alternatively, maybe lower the rental prices to encourage experimentation with ideas. A risk of 100r on a trading outpost is easier to make vs a 300r one.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Constructive Constructive x 1
  2. FireFan96

The regions are rented from me looking at them, they just don't have any decorations or use from an outsider perspective.
    I think the housing expansion was necessary to meet the demand for houses by players when we had a larger player base. But since then that player supply has dwindled, and we're left with the aftermath.
    I don't think districts need to go per say, but some updates would be nice, hence why I suggested placing eye candy regions that players would kill for.

3. FireFan96

those were the ones I was talking about. I don't think 10,000 is viable as a rent price unless there's a major economic reform, but those bases were great. 600 or 1000 would be a good price for them.

4. Conflee

Conflee Me an the bois at 3 am lookin for BEANS!

I will say related to the boats thing: It is my biggest peeve that there are boats trapped within areas of the city that would be a pain to get them into, and that the Imperial Bridge used to mean you had to pick what end you sailed into the City from, North or South. It drove me up a wall, and I hope when the new bridge is made its sorted. Its not a major thing but it troggers me.

More unique regions is defiantly a good idea though. I think the Oyster should be reopened, given to a player or something. Currently it just sits unused. Plus more larger houses for larger rents. Main Street Shop style buildings in little 'Mini Hubs' like along the stretch in the harbor where the Oyster is.

• Constructive Constructive x 1
  5. CnocBride

CnocBride Former leader of Enigma.