Archived (actually)encouraging Travel

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zpade

Edosaku Shinji, Head of the Edosaku Clan
Reaction score
"[A]We encourage travel!"
-A Massivecraft Announcement

... Which is actually contradicting itself a bit.

See, despite "encouraging" travel, things like warping to Regalia and portals is actually discouraging the action of actually travelling.

Hold on now, I'm not hatin' on portals, nor am I asking do away with warping, however..

We should limit warping, and portal creating. How? I will offer a solution to both in the following paragraphs(These are only my ideas on limiting them. There might be better ones out there):

*Portal Creation: This should receive a restriction of some sort. I propose adding a 5-15R charge(or more) for creating a portal. Why? To discourage portals to everywhere, for folks to be more mindful to portal placement, and as a money sink to balance the premium 750R a month feature. Sure, some premiums may scowl at the idea of this, but I feel this to be necessary if we truly want a more medieval setting.

*Warping: This must receive some sort of restricting as well. I propose adding a 3-10 uses per day feature for the following warps: /uspawn or /warp medieval , /spawn , /warp market , /warp AbusementPark , /warp NobleDistrict , and /warp poordistrict . When I say "3-10 uses", I mean for all of the warps combined. This is so that people are forced to think about deciding to travel to Regalia when they actually need to, and limit their impulse warps. It Is Possible to get to other continents and Regalia itself via physically travelling to the world spawn and jumpin' on the boat.

These are my propositions towards directing Massivecraft to a more medieval setting. I am looking forward to "[A]We encourage travel!" being, at the least, much more valid.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I feel as though everyone's solutions these days is to add a cost to something... I understand the whole "money sink" side of it, but eventually I'll be paying every time I want to place a block or break a block with the way things are being suggested!

Edit: While the server may encourage travel, it can only be realistic to a point as to when they need to allow ease of access to places. If the limit on warps were to be implemented, I could see Regalia's population of RP'ers decreasing. After they use all their warps, they now have to run from their base to a spawn, and take a boat. After doing that about two times a day, it'd get boring and quite tiresome to me, as well as other I would imagine. A lot of RP'ers have lives outside of Regalia, in their faction bases.

Only portals would be given a regal charge, and premiums already receive 750 a month, so this is a premium balancing. The latter with warping would only be a limiting to a certain number of uses per day. This would balance realism and ease of access, in my opinion.

I like everything but limiting/having to pay for warping. Roleplayers need to get to their factions and back to Regalia multiple times a day to get things. Also if your out of money for portal making and you have bases or allys in multiple worlds you'll need to get to the docks quite a few times in one day seeing as beds can only be set in one area. Aside from that I think this idea is fine.

"[A]We encourage travel!"
-A Massivecraft Announcement

I see this more as a "We encourage exploration" message more than anything. I often wander around maps in search of new structures and adventure around in locations I've yet to really go near. And since this is a role play server, I think of it more as a RP message than anything else. I do not think putting a price on things is going to encourage travel. I believe it's just going to encourage more raging at the fact that people have to pay for things.

I don't know. Encouraging traveling is nice but pragmatically, I'd rather not spend what could be a majority of my limited playing time going back and forth between places.

Taxing Portal Creation: A bit indifferent to this but sounds fair.

Limiting Warping: I disagree with the "limit their impulse warps" statement. Lots of things happen impulsively. If there was a sudden event or if you suddenly had to meet someone. Or if you had to step back from Regalia because you left something behind, or want to put something back. Trading would be hindered the same way, limited even, since you'd have to plan for the entire day or risk wasted trips. Trekking back and forth through potentially dangerous land may make sense roleplay wise, but I believe this is one aspect that can be ignored for the sake of practicality.

We've had /warps and portals for the longest time, and have never had to pay for them, or have a limit on them. I don't want to start now. While I understand the money sink side of things, and I really do, I get it people. I just believe that adding a cost or limiting core aspects of the game isn't the right way to go. Why don't they just remove that specific server announcement? It is isn't informative like others, it doesn't outline an important aspect of the server such as where RP is best facilitated or that factions are a big part of the server. I highly doubt anyone would complain or even notice if that particular announcement was removed.

I both like and dislike this. I like it because I love the idea of having difficulty in traveling and making it more realistic. I have always wanted to find a server that did that.

I dislike it because it just isn't worth it. People have organized their lives on this server so that they can teleport. If you restrict their freedom, playing on here will attract a lot less. If it wouldn't cause an earthquake of complaints, then it might be worth it but that is not the case. The server needs warping and portals to continue advancing. I don't think the general populace of Massive would like this at all. I find it interesting, but that's just me.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but MassiveCraft is set in a medieval time, with a twinge of fantasy. That means that magical portals that teleport you from place to place and /warps (teleportation spells) are not out of the realm of possibility.

Though this server is mainly RP with elements of PvP, during times of faction wars, players may have to get back to their factions quickly. The best way for this to happen is by /f home-ing. This is very important so one faction doesn't completely and one-sidedly defeat the other faction. It allows players to go to and from their faction homes freely. However, if there was a limit on /AbusementPark, or /NobleDistrict, I can understand this as it is within the same world/city and often doesn't require too much traveling to get to one of those places or the other. Warping to places OUTSIDE of the spawn city, however, I do not believe should be limited.

Personally I feel the "We encourage travel" is more directed towards factions rather than spawns. The most they can do for that in my opinion is remove portals for both allies and raid portals (thats a personal preferance not suggesting they actually do it)

Perhaps, in compromise, we could only feature /uspawn and /warp medieval? That way, people are still able to warp to Regalia, but they have to warp to spawn. I don't think many players (especially those who don't contribute or don't want to get involved economically) would appreciate having to pay for warps, but we could compromise and limit the number of warps? While keeping /f home and /home of course, as they are necessary for travel.

Limiting warps may cause some debate, and be difficult to manage.

I don't support limiting the warps like /uspawn. I like being in Regalia, but I also like being at my faction now and then, and walking all the way there would get tiresome and repetitive. Besides, I wouldn't like having less people in Regalia. Regalia is supposed to be a huuuuge city that rules basically the whole world. There's not enough people there as it is. I wouldn't like walking down the street and having it be a rare thing to actually see someone when nearly every street should be packed.

Once again, I'm only suggesting limiting warps, not paying for warps and again, for those warps I specified. Perhaps its a bold idea, and perhaps not one we need completely. But portals should, in my opinion, be restricted when created. But that's just me, and I felt the need to see what you folks felt.

EDIT:If I was not clear enough, I never mentioned faction warping. That I consider to be necessary for practicality's sake. And instead of simply criticizing with narrow replies(only to very few people, not everyone), consider things like perhaps more warps, but warp limits to Regalia appears to be a little unpopular at this point. Perhaps longer waiting periods for warping might suffice? Something like that.

Please, explain in more detail if you wish to post here. I appreciate it. And apologies if I sound a tad bit rude: I'm a rather blunt person.

๖ۣۜLimiting warps;
is an absolutely terrible idea. It is blunt of me to say that (Sorry in advance), but that is not very well thought through. I swap between Regalia and my faction almost 20 times in one day because I require supplies, RP, and conversation. If I happen to get caught in my faction lands when I want to go to Regalia to RP, that means it can ruin a brilliant opportunity for me. Now say I am stuck in the Regalian market after buying stuff for my faction, my inventory is bulging and my faction needs it soon for raiding and mining. Whup, looks like they're gonna need to hold out for a day or so, because I cannot make it back. What happens if I warp into the Minigame world and I can't leave it? Is that very encouraging for a noob to stay when they're forced to stay within an arena they can bore of easily for an ENTIRE DAY? That is not at all screaming 'I wanna stay'.

Taxation for portals;
seems alright to me. I am not exactly against it because it isn't affecting me yet, but if this does to get past, it might lead to several threads complaining or attempting to remove it, such as X0N3333's recent thread about removing the LWC costs.

You kinda need to look into the shoes of others. As a noob, I warped absolutely everywhere possible just to get a feel, to navigate, and so that one day I would be helping the lot fella by leading them out of bringing them to where they want to go. Now being stuck with full guarantee;
Not my kinda server.
Sorry, Zpade.

-1 Support

One way to blend these possible ideas would be to make cool downs depending on the type of transportation.
  • Cross Universe teleportation A couple minute cool down when done from outside of the hub universe
  • Inter regalian Teleport such as /warp mark or nobledistrict shouldn't have a cooldown
  • Cross world teleports either in Portals or in the ships should have a several minute cool down to try and keep people in place
  • Portals in general should have a limit of how many you can use (Perhaps about 3) before you trigger the cool down for a few minutes to avoid hopping portal networks to get around.
but that's just my two Silver Regals on the issue.

๖ۣۜLimiting warps;
is an absolutely terrible idea. It is blunt of me to say that (Sorry in advance), but that is not very well thought through. I swap between Regalia and my faction almost 20 times in one day because I require supplies, RP, and conversation. If I happen to get caught in my faction lands when I want to go to Regalia to RP, that means it can ruin a brilliant opportunity for me. Now say I am stuck in the Regalian market after buying stuff for my faction, my inventory is bulging and my faction needs it soon for raiding and mining. Whup, looks like they're gonna need to hold out for a day or so, because I cannot make it back. What happens if I warp into the Minigame world and I can't leave it? Is that very encouraging for a noob to stay when they're forced to stay within an arena they can bore of easily for an ENTIRE DAY? That is not at all screaming 'I wanna stay'.

Taxation for portals;
seems alright to me. I am not exactly against it because it isn't affecting me yet, but if this does to get past, it might lead to several threads complaining or attempting to remove it, such as X0N3333's recent thread about removing the LWC costs.

You kinda need to look into the shoes of others. As a noob, I warped absolutely everywhere possible just to get a feel, to navigate, and so that one day I would be helping the lot fella by leading them out of bringing them to where they want to go. Now being stuck with full guarantee;
Not my kinda server.
Sorry, Zpade.

-1 Support

Your missing the point here. And you seem to misunderstand my suggestion quite a bit. I am Only suggesting simple warp limits, no paying, and for Only specified warps that pertain to Regalia. I am not suggesting taxation to portal usage: I'm suggesting a regal charge when a portal is created Only. I Never mentioned faction Warping, and limiting the Specified Warps can be as simple as giving it a slightly longer countdown, or a cooldown period.

I Am looking into the shoes of others, but you don't seem to be looking in mine and my meaning.

Your missing the point here. And you seem to misunderstand my suggestion quite a bit. I am Only suggesting simple warp limits, no paying, and for Only specified warps that pertain to Regalia. I am not suggesting taxation to portal usage: I'm suggesting a regal charge when a portal is created Only. I Never mentioned faction Warping, and limiting the Specified Warps can be as simple as giving it a slightly longer countdown, or a cooldown period.

I Am looking into the shoes of others, but you don't seem to be looking in mine and my meaning.

๖ۣۜWell, the taxing thing I worded wrongly, I meant as the taxing to MAKE portals as above, not for every use. I knew what you meant above, I just struggle to correctly word things like that for some reason. See, I might BE stupid, but not THAT stupid. XD
"I propose adding a 3-10 uses per day feature for the following warps: /uspawn or /warp medieval , /spawn , /warp market , /warp AbusementPark , /warp NobleDistrict , and /warp poordistrict
As I mentioned before, only a daily basis, I use warps such as these almost around 20 times in one day, I am quite the little bugger from hopping around. I am glad you clarified that it wasn't use of faction warp, but I still bug around those locations a lot. I swap between faction, Regalia, and faction again. If this feature is as you mentioned above, "3 to 10 uses per day", that means if I warp there once, head back to my faction, and try to warp back again, I am unable to go back for 8 to about 2 and a half hours. I would rather keep my travel to Regalia without the cooldown, please.

Arent we already paying 20r per portal we make due to having to LWC the emeralds.

Going to be honest, I dislike this idea. When they took out the /tpa feature I basically stopped visiting other factions that were more than like a 5 minute walk away from my base... OR had a portal. Making portals cost money to set up would slowly shut down all travel on the server between factions, make raids 10 times less effective/useful and shorter, and would cripple many large faction alliances (like Hisoka) who rely heavily on portals for both travel between their cities (which are often in different worlds) and each other (who are also located in different worlds).

Removing the warps or putting a limit on warps would effectively kill off the existence of every single spawn and warp on the server. That is to say, if I could only warp 10 times in a day (this is for all warps, from /home to /uspawn) I would probably find a place I like and just stay there. This would NOT encourage travel, it would utterly cripple travel between major locations like Regalia and anywhere else. Imagine needing to walk from your faction base all the way to the world spawn in order to reach Regalia. How many people would just be like "f*ck it, I'll roleplay in my faction base." do you think? Or how many would just be like "f*ck it, I'll never leave Regalia again." if this happened? Personally I would probably only go to Regalia if it was absolutely necessary or a major server event was going on.

So, in summary: DO NOT SUPPORT. This would cripple travel, not encourage it.

Arent we already paying 20r per portal we make due to having to LWC the emeralds.

I just put all my portals into a single chunk and then access lock the chunk. Same with my chests :P

I've done a bit of thinking. In the original post, the idea was essentially to facilitate more travel by means other than portals and /warps, but adding in a cost and cool downs. Charging to create a portal plays into the hand of creating another money sink, so I figured, if you plan to propose something that is a money sink, propose increasing the price by a reasonable amount on things we already pay for. Ex: Regalian houses, Market stalls, etc etc. This way, people won't have to pay for something they didn't pay for before, and a slight price increase in certain areas might be welcomed, or at least not hated.

Encouraging travel is determined by portals and warps? I don't think so.
I don't know how much the warps are used, but I for myself don't use them at all. Regalia isn't very big and everyone who's looking for RP will walk all the way through the city. Besides this, as soon as new things are added to the city, people will have a look at it and walk around to visit the new attractions. That means, travel in regalia itself isn't the problem.

About portals and travels around the world: People use portals to move from one point to another very fast, because they have to do this to meet other players for whatever reason (RP, trade, to help them,...). If they would like to travel and have a look around the world, they will do that! And I also agree with Mecharic, limiting the warps/portals is not a good idea. "This would cripple travel, not encourage it."

But what encourages travel?
Nice locations, events and maybe boss mobs, as indyfan98 suggested it in his thread. If thew worlds had special locations, people would visit them and had a look at the landscape too.
I also tried to visit several faction to get inspired by their buildings, but that wasn't possible most of the time, because either the faction was shut up entirely, or the faction members tried to kill me, because they feared I would raid them. And if you don't get killed in or in front of the faction, players will kill you in the wilderness. So you have to walk all the way back from spawn and that's not funny if you have to do that several times! And that's also the reason why people need portals; to avoid death on their journey towards other factions!

No one would ever visit other factions, if they die during their travel every time. I don't say it's impossible to reach other factions, but it can be very hard sometimes depending on the amount of players online and your luck and skill.
"LoL-Raids" aren't allowed and you should have a reason to raid other factions, but it still happens and I totally understand factions which are shut down entirely, because they just won't get disturbed during their RP.

PvP is a funny thing, but it can discourage travel more than anything else! (My experience)

If you really want to encourage travel, then maybe set up several Wagons (4-5ish depending on the worlds size) that for a price you can travel with the "Caravan" to one of the other Wagons on the map. That way it encourages travel so it will be safer since you are traveling with the "Caravan" and will leak a little bit of money out of the econ. and it will not interrupt any of the preexisting constructs of the world.

I think this would be a great idea.
I've always found it curious that we say "traveling is encouraged" but we decide to allow players multiple warps, and other teleportation methods like /home or portals. Limiting the use of these methods of travel would add a new flavor to the game.

PvP would be changed rather dramatically to inhibit wide-scale, inter-continental warfare while boosting local PvP and give rise to bandit-oriented activities. Warring factions could even arrange a battlefield at a distance between their factions.

RP would also be changed, in that RPers now have a new sense of having to journey to other towns outside of Regalia and adding to the adventuring vibe that some RPers like to experience during planned expeditions.

I definitely feel that limiting the use of portals and other teleportation methods would add to the Medieval feel, making us more of a "moderate" medieval server, rather than a "light" medieval server.

Is it not possible that "Travel is encouraged" (or whatever the darned thing says" is being misinterpreted?
Personally, I'm not sure that this means all travel has to be done by walking- isn't the destination important too, and as much a part of travelling as the journey is? Possibly travel I intended to mean the opposite- to allow, even encourage, warps, etc.
This would be good, because it encourages RP- you can't RP alone very well, obviously. It also helps the community of massivecraft- meeting up to talk rather than just using general chat would simply not be possible if you had to walk everywhere.

I'm sure there are many who disagree with me here (I'm aware this is not a commonly held opinion), but please explain why you disagree with me!

Is it not possible that "Travel is encouraged" (or whatever the darned thing says" is being misinterpreted?
Personally, I'm not sure that this means all travel has to be done by walking- isn't the destination important too, and as much a part of travelling as the journey is? Possibly travel I intended to mean the opposite- to allow, even encourage, warps, etc.
This would be good, because it encourages RP- you can't RP alone very well, obviously. It also helps the community of massivecraft- meeting up to talk rather than just using general chat would simply not be possible if you had to walk everywhere.

I'm sure there are many who disagree with me here (I'm aware this is not a commonly held opinion), but please explain why you disagree with me!

I suppose you're right to an extent.

The destination is very important, for both RPers and PvPers, however, portals and teleportation removes the journey that is in between two destinations. Who knows what you could be missing out on if you just TP to your friend's faction? In order to TP or use a portal you MUST know who you're going to go meet. You've already met them and it's going to be much more difficult to find or meet someone or something new.

The journey between destinations will lead you to new places, new friends, and new areas of Massive. Perhaps along the way you'll find a beautiful town with wonderful people, or perhaps you'd find a scenic place to take you oldest friend too during a RPing adventure. I feel that the extensive use of teleportation limits the amount of discovery in the worlds that Massive has to offer.

I see your point, Cielian
I'm just stating a point of view that I find to be equally important, and yet that no one has considered at all as yet.

I think they are both important, so I feel as though there should be a few minor changes to encourage travel, but not to force it upon people; for so far, that is what most suggestions have been doing, in my eyes. However that may be implemented, a slightly larger encouragement to travel by foot, while still giving players a choice, is what I suggest.
There is very rarely, if ever, a solution that fits everyone; so the best solution is inevitably to offer options. I feel as though this is what is needed here.

I suppose you're right to an extent.

The destination is very important, for both RPers and PvPers, however, portals and teleportation removes the journey that is in between two destinations. Who knows what you could be missing out on if you just TP to your friend's faction? In order to TP or use a portal you MUST know who you're going to go meet. You've already met them and it's going to be much more difficult to find or meet someone or something new.
It was never said that the people that want to experience the journey to a location can't. They aren't being forced to use portals or a /warp. While the implementation of this idea might appeal to some, there are going to many that will complain.

Alj23 They may not be forced, but the allure of teleportation will, without a doubt, influence their traveling decisions.

It was never said that the people that want to experience the journey to a location can't. They aren't being forced to use portals or a /warp. While the implementation of this idea might appeal to some, there are going to many that will complain.

excuse me briefly while I draw a parallel to free to pay models of gaming where "You don't need to buy anything" is the rule for things such as purchasable coins and experience and no content is blocked behind a pay wall, more so a grind wall. Now let's apply this idea to skills here say we allow people to buy mcmmo exp, not a boost but the exp it self. No one would have to buy it they could still spend hours grinding and get the same levels, but most people will because it's an easy way out. Back on point the same could be said for teleportation it's easier and the question is Do we want it to be easy? . Just like the mcmmo grind which is a core part of our server I feel traveling should be a key component in order to give the world a sense of place. For example Geopolitics as stated above Regional markets and Alliances make sense in a world where getting from one continent of aloria to the other isn't a ten second thing. for example a desert faction stranded in the far southern reaches of New Ceardia through the Regalian market make it entirely out of say Jungle or tundra materials for the same price as desert themed materials. Which isn't lore breaking but a bit odd in terms of immersion..... Anyways TL;DR yes the option would be easier but if it's easier it can take a key part of the game out such as giving a way to buy mcmmo levels would.

Status
Not open for further replies.