A Heart's Desire

Discussion in 'Player Stories' started by HoLee_Of_Ducks, Feb 16, 2021.

1. HoLee_Of_Ducks

HoLee_Of_Ducks

As the night embraced the world, a girl could only look through her window and dream. Her spider legs allowed her to lay her gaze onto a beautiful valley, mud, plants and soil turned into shades of silver, as the full moon shone above everything.

"Mal!" would whisper nervously her cellmate, Nihama, a strong Shenathar. "Come down! Do you want them to punish you again? Come down!"

Mal would ignore her friend, observing the lands beyond. She would look down, her eyes full of wonder.

"What do you think that exists beyond the facility?" The Maraya would return her attention to the moon. "The older kids said that beyond Saivale, exist other lands... And other people...And other races! Do you think that's true?"

A grumble would come from the Kathar, who would be laying in bed. "But all of those races are our enemies, Mal. That's what Lady Mirlla always says in her lessons. So if it were to be true, even if you even were to go out there, they would probably enslave you because of how different you are"

The Haat Maraya wouldn't answer to this, but her shoulders would lump, and her throat would tighten. Still, she would put her hand through the bars, allowing the fresh air of the night to touch it.

"So...Is there any freedom on the world?"

This time, it was Nihama's turn to shurg her shoulders.

"The one we will bring? Mal, I'm tired, it's late, and the room won't stop getting colder if you don't close that window. Go to sleep. You are well aware of the consequences of not following the schedule."

Mal's forearm would twitch, a phantom reminder of now healed wounds. Using her hair, she would close her window, before repositioning into her bed, covering herself with the thin blankets.

"I...suppose so. Good night, Nih." would say the Maraya, looking at the other.

"Whatever. G'night" would reply Nihama, with a yawn, covering her head.

As the Maraya lay there, her vision slowly vanishing into the sweet release of rest, a thought would cross her mind.

"Freedom... Is beautiful. Freedom is powerful. Freedom is...limitless.

I... I will be free. Free to discover the world by myself. Free from fear and pain. And free... to stand above them all.
    "

• Powerful Powerful x 2