[1.9.4] How To Install Mpm & Optifine

This will be a short guide on how to get your Vanilla Minecraft clients working with 1.9.4 versions of mods approved here on MassiveCraft. For space saving, I have put each step in spoilers. Open up the mods you want to use, and follow the instructions:

Forge:
If you want to use any mods, you will need to download forge. As of writing, the current version is Forge version 1.9.4-12.17.0.1968. To get the latest download, just go to their website and search for it. As a courtesy, I did this for you, and the download page is the following:

http://files.minecraftforge.net/maven/net/minecraftforge/forge/index_1.9.4.html

So just click installer and you'll start the download. One downloaded, simply run the .jar file and you will see a text box pop up with some options. Just fill in install client (done automatically) and forge will install. It should be noted that you NEED to play vanilla 1.9.4 at least once in order for the client to install. After downloading it, go ahead and test it by opening up the Minecraft Launcher and going to profiles, and select the new forge profile. You should see the following message in the bottom right corner:

"Ready to play Minecraft 1.9.4-forge1.9.4-12.17.0.1968"

Click play and if you get to the title screen, you should see a mods folder. clicking it should bring you to a screen listing 3 mods. If everything is sound, you can close out of the game and start adding more mods.

More Player Models:

The next mod is More player Models. This follows the exact same procedure as Better Foliage, but probably in less words.

So go to the downloads page for this mod and download it as normal. Make sure to use the correct version, which for this is 1.9.4 Once again, the link:

http://www.kodevelopment.nl/minecraft/moreplayermodels/downloads/

After that's installed, find the minecraft folder, open mods, and drag and drop MPM into it. close up the folders, and start the game. For a quick check, just click the mods tab and you should see MPM there.

Optifine:

So first, go to the Optifine downloads page. Once again, the quick link:

https://optifine.net/downloads

OR
download Optifine_1.9.4_HD_U_B6.jar sing the first link

IMPORTANT:
Do not open the Optifine jar after downloading it. This will install the client, just like how we did it with forge. You do not want a separate client, unless you want only Optifine.

But since this is how to install it as a forge mod, we'll do that. Basically, move the Optifine .jal file into the mods folder from downloads, just like what we did with the other mods. After that, just play minecraft as usual, and you should have all the mods working.

Final Remarks:

Well, there you go. You now have the 1.9 versions of the mods you love to use on Massive.

Please note that this is an installation tutorial. If you want to know how to use said mods, either google a showcase or go by trial and error like I love to do.

Also, if you don't need to use one of the mods, drag it out of the mods folder and plop it on your desktop or somewhere safe. It might help with performance, but that's just me.

@Plecy mentioned:
" A lot of people's problems with forge crashing on startup relates to have old minecraft installations. If you've had minecraft installed for a long time, you should delete your .minecraft folder and re-download it through the launcher before you begin modding. This really works wonders. Your game runs faster, and it provides a fresh, clean platform for forge to run on."

@Toorah also made a nice comment about MPM. Even though it more of a user preference, I think it deserves merit here:
"It appears that if you log in after someone has changed their MPM settings or you meet someone with MPM for the first time, they may appear "normal" to you.
In that case, it is not your MPM that is broken but rather their client has not been able to send information to yours.
It is always the person who appears faulty (wrong size) who needs to go into their settings and change size to something, then back to what's needed, in order to cause an update.
bug,
There is also another bug, which causes the outer head layer to always show, even if it's disabled (for everyone), just turn off "Solid Head Layer" and you should see everyone fine.

Another useful thing, even if you do not have MPM, you can use the commands for people with MPM to see, most useful one:
/sit"

Last edited:
Recent Changes
  • Updated thread to 1.9.4
  • Removed BetterFoliage
  • Removed Schematica

Last edited:
do we need forge for any other stuffs on here? if so, what? plz mention in tutorial.
nvm, that was stupid
but my optifine won't work. i only have forge and optifine so far. i launch minecraft, it suddenly closes and then i get the launcher screen with the crash report =P

make sure to run forge separately by itself first. Also make sure you're using both the correct minecraft versions of forge.

I'm currently running
forge 1.9-.....-1906
optifine 1.9-....-B3

Did you run forge separately the first time? Usually running it once before throwing the mods in should work.

Also check to see if anything is 1.9 or 1.9.4. I've been slacking on the version numbers for a month now, but one thing I always screw up is putting a 1.9.4 into a 1.9 forge profile.

I will list up the version of my forge and the mods i installed. Would you please care to take a quick look at em? Mods have been killing be for a long time now. @FireFan96

Forge :
1.9-forge 1.9-12. 16. 1. 1938-1.9.0

Better Foilage :
BetterFoliage-MC1.9-2.0.11

MPM :
MorePlayerModels_1.9.4beta(29may16)

Optifine :
OptiFine_1.9.4_HD_U_B5

Aha, I see the issue:

MPM got swapped to 1.9.4, and the main page no longer has a 1.9 version. You might need to hunt around for an old version, or update forge to 1.9.4

Same goes with Optifine as a 1.9.4 version. The forge version is for 1.9.0, so all it is i sa compatibility issue.

My suggestion:
try setting up forge for 1.9.4 It follows the same setup, just run vanilla 1.9.4, then install the latest forge version. that will get MpM and Optifine to work.
However, Better Foliage is not ready for 1.9.4 as of now, so you would have to ignore it for now.

I have a 1.9 and a 1.9.4 forge profile, in case I need to use better foliage and a few other mods. But I'd recommend 1.9.4 versions for day to day play.

8a32d58e06d9f0fd964bb915dd826aa5.png

just click the box with the green arrow. both should work (i use the left one, but the other should be a mirror)

Aha, I see the issue:

MPM got swapped to 1.9.4, and the main page no longer has a 1.9 version. You might need to hunt around for an old version, or update forge to 1.9.4

Same goes with Optifine as a 1.9.4 version. The forge version is for 1.9.0, so all it is i sa compatibility issue.

My suggestion:
try setting up forge for 1.9.4 It follows the same setup, just run vanilla 1.9.4, then install the latest forge version. that will get MpM and Optifine to work.
However, Better Foliage is not ready for 1.9.4 as of now, so you would have to ignore it for now.

I have a 1.9 and a 1.9.4 forge profile, in case I need to use better foliage and a few other mods. But I'd recommend 1.9.4 versions for day to day play.
I updated forge to Version : 1.9.4-forge 1.9.4-12. 17. 0. 1954 : And i re dowloaded both mods.. I still only get three mods shown which are those that forge automatically gives you. Dafaq? @FireFan96

It might be a bit hard for me to replicate, but I might be able to find the problem if I can get screenshots for the following things:
  • screenshot of the .minecraft versions folder
  • screenshot of the mods folder
  • maybe a screenshot of the main menu
Also, could you list the version numbers of the mods (if none, then just copy the whole title)

I'm about to overhaul this thread right now. I've put this off far too long. give me a few minutes to get it all updated.

So, what is going to happen is I'm redoing this thread to be 1.9.4 complaint. This is due to the fact that More Player Models is only supported in 1.9.4, as you see from the developer's page. Better Foliage is for 1.9, and is not compatible.

So, to try and remedy this situation, I'm going to just do mods for 1.9.4, specifically MPM and Optifine. And heck, with 1.10 out now, I'll probably have to make a new tutorial anyways.

So, 1.9.4 update in progress. Please stand by...

@Staff could someone clean this up? Just leave the first two posts as last time.

I know that there is a 1.9 version, but I usually go by developer pages for continued working on it. MPM just so happens to have removed their 1.9 version from their page. A such, I made the assumption that they will not be supporting it anymore.

Based on the few additions to the 1.9.4 version, I personally go with the newest version. 1.9 MPM does have a few features missing from the latest version, such as a few new animations, a new GUI, and a secondary menu to the inventory screen.

You're free to use whatever versions of the mods you want. I merely updated to 1.9.4 after a few questions regarding crashes, which eventually all seemed to have the same issue with them, that being conflicts between 1.9 and 1.9.4 versions of the mods.

Clean install, wiped my versions. Rand 1.9.4 vanilla. Downloaded 1.9.4 MPM, the exact one you said, and I get immediate crash to launcher upon launch. Even tried an older 1.9.4 version, still the same outcome.

which forge version? some are better than others

@FireFan96 I really need some help with installing it, it jsut isn't working and i've talked to several friends who has MPM, saying i'm doing everything right. If we could get into a call or something and you could walk be through it that would be absoloutely wonderful.

Might not be able to do a call, but if you can just post a ton of pictures here I can probably get a good idea of the issue. And if you crash on startup, put the report in a spoiler as well.

The few screenshots I'll need are:
  • .minecraft folder
  • mods folder
  • main menu of minecraft
  • mods tab in game
  • maybe an f3 screenshot
  • crash report (if it crashes)