What Village And City Names Have You Made Up

Discussion in 'Roleplay Discussion' started by rimacutem, Oct 10, 2020.

1. rimacutem

rimacutem Local dwarf

After seeing a player wanting to come from a small city not important enough to be in lore I thought - why not make up list of all city and village names players made up. So if you made up such name, reply it to me

• Constructive Constructive x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Educated Educated x 1
  2. Maeovika

Maeovika Maeovika

Abriter - Small Genevaudian town. Filled with miners, farmers and poor people. Not far off Helvetsuissie.

• Creative Creative x 2
  3. SevenBirds

SevenBirds Phantasmal and Resplendent

I made up Dungarron for the village my character came from. It's a small village in north-western Gallovia, about a day's walk from the sea and a three-day march from Deargmuir in the south, near the coast. There are three mountains circling Dungarron from the north - the largest being called Ardben and the two smaller colloquially known as Na Bràithrean. There's a legend that says they were once two giants who went to war with each other over a giantess, who wanted neither of them, and they wrestled there until they were so exhausted they could no longer move and eventually turned into stone.

• Creative Creative x 2
  4. mickdude2

mickdude2

Thank you very much for this! Perhaps even editing the post with a list of the names people come up with, for easier indexing?

The town of Taernsby is a small, mostly agrarian town of approximately two hundred citizens on the southern coast of the Gallovian Highlands. It's the birthplace of the character Sidh Ealan

• Creative Creative x 2
  5. bwmwags3

bwmwags3 Refugee

The Village of Alu’s Lake-

highland Ceardian village in Gallovia. A mix of Old Gods worshippers and Unionists where my chrs family holds some moderate sway. Considering the nature of their multiple roles within the lives of most of its inhabitants. Main Old God worshipped in the village is of course Alu who is believed to have rested upon the banks of its lake connecting it to the All Being. Starting a legend that the lake it is built on holds the essence of those who die. Before they reunite with the all being.

The prominent dearth within its sphere is the Silver Wolves.

Its also home to a Aluian Sect known as The Harbingers of Alu. While the sect has small branches across multiple places within the village they are overseen by Halhar Treji Larkson, the High Harbinger of Alu.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Constructive Constructive x 1
  6. rimacutem

rimacutem Local dwarf

@mickdude2 I will make excel document once considerable number of people respond, dividing settlements by culture, wealth, etc.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Lizmun

Lizmun yeah Staff Member Lore2

Tarwe - a small village in southern Anglia with a population of approx. 800 Akkerman Anglian Ailor, with little variation in racial and cultural population. Many Ailor are Woaden, with some Drahl and Archan peppered in. Many of the residents are either Unionists or Dragon worshippers, with a few pariah families believing in the Pagan faith of the Old Gods. Tarwe is located on a road often used for trade within Anglia, going out or coming in, and gets traffic passing through often. Although the locals are typically friendly with Ailor, especially Anglians, they are usually less so with not Ailor and aberrants. Rarely outright violent, but certainly not as willing to show typical anglian hospitality. Tarwe is best known for farming, over half of the present working population are farmers, with the rest being craftsmen of some kind, typically blacksmiths, carpenters, stone workers, etc. and some tending to livestock, such as sheep or cattle. Most farmers tend to grasses such as wheat, rye, or barley, hence the town's name, Tarwe, which translates from Anglian to Common to mean 'Wheat'.

Abigail is from Tarwe, and her birthname is actually 'Aleta van Tarwe', which just means 'Aleta of Wheat'

• Creative Creative x 2
    #7 Lizmun, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  8. AtticCat

AtticCat haeksen van regalia

Linau is a small Anglian village within Harhold controlled Vlissinghelm, towards the Northern end of the area. Due to its location, it’s incredibly low in income and education, with mostly homely farmhands and merchants making their lives here.

It is a mostly Dragon Worshipping town with not many Unionist due to its distanced relationship with neighboring places. The Haeksen folklore is heavily believed in, but there is still a scorn towards magic which makes a bit of a hypocritical relationship since many mistake the abilities of Draconic ritualists for mages. Additionally, many of the people here admire and idolize Nimme Vrij, although they believe she was dragon-blessed and not a Unionist. (Although even that is wrong since everyone know Nimme Vrij is actually Nym, the Elven Guard Commander.) Women outnumber the men, but this is due to men dying in Harhold’s many wars, not anything else.

Theresa Roos van Linau comes from here, Regalia’s local Haeksen (Draconic Witch).

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
  9. indyfan98

indyfan98 I'm not narcissistic. I'm just better than you.

I once made up an Ithanian town called Democratie. It means "Democracy" in French, and was the home of my Napoleon character, Bernard Francois. I miss him sometimes.

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. skullpanda90

skullpanda90 Sleeping Extraordinaire

Valen is a raiding village in the Midtenna of Nordskag settled within a valley opening up to the sea. It's a surprisingly modest village that focuses on self sustaining and only meeting the needs of the town rather than consistently growing wealth. This is due to the way their current Rakr runs the place.

This is how I gave Sylvi her last name Valendal to fit the naming customs of the Velheim. Valen is the name of the village, while "dal" means valley.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Nathan

Nathan Regalian Patrician

Allenberg, a town in the Genevaud Cantons.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Naz_Cook

Naz_Cook My mouth is a wormhole for Toohey's Extra Dry

Saint Philippe, a small Ithanian fur trading settlement in south of Nordskag named after the Heron of Barbers for some reason

13. ContestedSnow

ContestedSnow Philippe du Langelier, Cavalièr de la Sang

Sant-Auban and Vauclasa are both major cities with the Solacian Isles that I wrote with the Tolonne culture page.

Philippe hails from a small port town called Langelier nearby Sant-Auban, and that's why he is known as Philippe du Langelier, or Philippe of Langelier. He calls himself after his hometown in a sign of respect.

14. Eronoc

Eronoc Fantasy Horselord

Towns I have come up with that are mentioned on the Wiki via the Noble House Reinard page:
    Small towns in or near Draghe province: Baurith (the Reinard ancestral home, described on the page), Wissemfoss (a small river town not far from Baurith), Littlehurst (A sleepy Heartland Ceardian hamlet), Isenbach (A river town known for mining).
    All these are connected to the urban centre of Heartbury, also in or near Draghe.

Small towns in Baarlowe province: Oldenwede, Loppeswick, Astwaard. All three are small to medium coastal port settlements.
    Other places centered on the southeastern Dragenthal area which are purely headcanon via internal Reinard lore:
    Cities, both taken from old province names Marty came up with in 2018: Boorswick, Fitleigh (a haven for the Drachenwald Nutegg)

Towns: Stanwick, Wildeleigh (A very small village in the woods near Baurith), Oveston
    Somewhere in La Coutance there is a city called Villeneuve, settled very early on in Burdigalic history.

Heartbury, Fitleigh, and Boorswick have simple heraldry that I created for them. An area hypothetically related to Stanwick, Thussex (the name of one of Marty's provinces from 2018), also has heraldry I created.
    I'll put them here:
    Heartbury:
    [​IMG]

Fitleigh:
    [​IMG]

Boorswick:
    [​IMG]
    Thussex:
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
    #14 Eronoc, Nov 6, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  15. BeetrootSalad

BeetrootSalad the gremlin Supremium

This isn’t a made-up, but Büchner (IRL equivalent of Munich) has had so many characters that we ended up making up bookstores, governors, restaurants, gossip and general hometown/city stuff to have fun.
    (@FireFan96 @Infinatum @KK134 @Epsilyon)

• Powerful Powerful x 1
  16. CrimsletMonarch

CrimsletMonarch Priestess?? Dawn Songstress?? Emotional Wreck??

Novellia's paternal family comes from a town called 'Åskanorr' in the mountains of Rikeland in the province of Upplanda. Near the town is Fristadvlom Fästning, the ancestral Wirtemcaller fortress home of House Fristadvlom.

The town of Åskanorr is made up of families that were in the same Skagger clan known as the 'Falkhom' that the house was in. The residents either work in the mines of the Griprede Mountains, hunt in the Elfenbensvit, or sometimes if they're willing to go far, help the Fristadvlom merchant business.

I probably should expand upon neighbors sometime, but who knows?
    On another note, I probably should figure out some stuff in the Outer Isles of Dexai. I may edit this post with that once I figure those things out.

• Winner Winner x 1