Implemented Blaze Spawners And A Quick Rant

Discussion in 'Factions' started by 65jes89, Dec 13, 2018.

1. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

Heyo, this thread concerns the addition of blaze spawners into Essalonia in order to act as a neutral area for PvP to occur. This allows for the natural occurrence of PvP without the need for raiding, something which has historically been absent from massive, to its detriment. This suggestion has been extensively discussed within the factions/pvp thinktank, with near 100% support from the players involved.

This suggestion, however, was ultimately discussed by game and rejected, saying the "primary concern was that it was too easy to monopolise and camp the location/s, as well as the concern of limiting area for factions to use." And instead staff are going to adjust the blaze rod recipe.

Simply adjusting the blaze rod recipe, however, misses the point. There is no issue with the blaze rod recipe. Blaze rods are currently quite cheap. The idea behind the spawners was to encourage pvp, not to make blaze rods easier to get. Blaze rods were simply chosen because they're something all pvpers need. In reality, "half of our suggestion" was not fulfilled because nobody was asking for this in the first place.

The issue of pvpers monopolizing can be solved in a few ways.
    • Add a recipe for blaze rods involving diamonds or another expensive item. This makes it so that the spawners are preferable, but it is still possible to obtain them without having to fight at spawners.
    • Add two-three spawners around the map. That way if a large faction is at one spawner, smaller factions can just go to the others. Still allows for that faction to be jumped and encourage pvp between larger factions, however. Also, spawners work 24/7. Large factions are not logged on massive 24/7.
    • Realize that larger factions will get an excess of blaze rods, and sell them. This will create a new market, and help smaller/newer factions get access to blaze rods.
    As for taking up factions room:
    • To be perfectly honest this is a non-issue in my opinion. There's plenty of space in some less desirable biomes.
    • Expand the world boarder a bit and add a large island in the ocean, claim the entire thing. New space. Or just add it in the current ocean.
    • Literally I will disband sunkiss and donate the land to the server if that'll get this suggestion through.
    As for factions claiming on the border of the claim:
    • Move the location of the spawner every few weeks. Pvpers aren't going to remake their bases that often just to be a little closer to the spawner. It will take very little time for a rank 1 to just move the claim, and 2 seconds for a rank 3 to throw in a spawner after that.
    • Put the spawner near spawn. Give new players pvp invulnerability for an hour to protect them from factions occurring outside spawn. The Pvp tag prevents people from just running back into spawn and being safe. It sucks imo compared to just putting it elsewhere in essalonia, but better than nothing.
    • Make a seperate world for it, don't add a tp to it, put the portal somewhere in essalonia, takes up much less space, less worth claiming around.

Now, for the rant part.

For reference, I want to give a link to a couple threads by myself and benrekt from a couple years back, during thortuna's game department:
    https://forums.massivecraft.com/threads/just-a-short-rant.30987/
    https://forums.massivecraft.com/threads/a-long-rant.38155/

Pvpers at those times felt their concerns were not being listened to, and as a result, a large number of pvpers quit around these times. This was due to Thortuna and gethelp being excessively bad at communicating with the player base, and ignoring strongly held opinions of the player base for reasons which frequently turned out to be straight up lies.

Since thortuna and gethelp left, the game department improved immensely in terms of communication, in my personal opinion.

However, when a suggestion gets as much positive feedback as this one did, it needs to be seriously looked at beyond a game staff meeting vote. If game rejects an idea like that, we need alternatives, proposed to us. Not just a "no, now fuck off." That is the type of thing that greatly frustrates pvpers, and leads to a toxic relationship between players and staff. Further, we need communication from the people who actually argued against the idea, not just from winterless. The pvp think tank is his project, I get that, but when winterless is for the idea when discussing with us in the think tank, and then after the vote has to argue against it, it gets frustrating. I get that some staff members find it frustrating to discuss with pvpers, but if they're making the decisions, they should need to see our reasoning behind the suggestion.

This is not an idea that we're going to let go. It is a good idea. Work with us. All that's going to happen by not working with us is a return to the last few weeks, with 0 pvp. That's not something we want. We want to pvp, but we need balancing changes, and we need communication.

@Winterless @CS_Birb @MonMarty

Keep the thread free of flame please and thanks

• Like Like x 5
    • Constructive Constructive x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MDJTHEHERO

MDJTHEHERO Beggar

One of the best ideas in a while, will bring life back to PvP on a level that hasnt been seen in years probably.

3. Sir_Daragon

Sir_Daragon Your Local Staff Member Game2

There is 5-10 game staff which im pretty sure all are in the think tank. So why is winterless thr only one talking. For a bias free Staff - player there should be more staff actively in the faction discord.

4. Typhenon

Typhenon Professional Potion Bouncer

5. Typhenon

Typhenon Professional Potion Bouncer

Kidding I like this

6. Viscar

Viscar Nekoii's Actual BFF

Honestly I still don't think more than one is necessary. If the old spawner that was in a safe zone wasn't camped 24/7 then why would this be any different.

But considering that still as a possibility there are two routes it could go - people camp it too much or too little to the point it doesn't generate PvP. If the first case ends up becoming true, then sure maybe add a couple more down the line. If the latter turns out to be true however, make it so it only spawns at certain times. Wouldn't kill the server to just test something out for once.

The fun part will be adding more stuff like this in the future so there's always something going on in the factions world that isn't just artificial knock knocking, and this idea is the first step towards that direction.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

I don't like the idea of putting a padlock on something that is considered a basic resource of the game. Could <insert here blazerod> be replaced with other bonuses like faction boosts or regals?

8. Viscar

Viscar Nekoii's Actual BFF

A basic resource of the game is a bit of an over-exaggerated title for something that is pretty much just used for potion brewing.
    Also, how is this a padlock? It is only adding a new way to acquire them, which is kinda the opposite of what you're implying. In regards to instead having a reward like faction boosts, I can only imagine you're implying a sorta KotH like system, which cs_birb has gone to many lengths to say he doesn't want to deal with, and even if he did would require tech work and we've heard the "sharding is taking up all of tech's time" all too much so I can only imagine how long it would take to actually get that. Something like this takes no tech work, can be implemented on a much shorter time frame, and gives us tangible items for us to fight for, making it a lot more fun in my opinion, as well as something we'd need more often thus making non-artificial PvP occur more frequently.

9. 65jes89

I personally don't think it's necessarily a padlock, especially since like Viscar said, it's only really used for potions. I think a better course of action would be to replace the current recipe with one which is too expensive to be practical for the bulk amount pvpers need, while still allowing for normal factions players to make a couple every now and then when needed.

Alternatively, it could be changed to enderpearls, since those aren't used outside of PvP at all afaik, and just remove/reduce natural enderman spawns in essalonia.

As far as regals go, I'd rather not, since that'll just lead to a huge influx of regals into the economy. For other boosts, I'm not totally against it, but I personally can't think of a boost which would be considered necessary enough to pvpers to want to fight over, while also having a system to distribute said boost without any koth system.

As an aside, I do appreciate the reply.

10. Sir_Daragon

I mean. Actual spawner is easy to make. Adding cp boost would require tech help. And withsharding they are too busy

11. Sir_Daragon

Jes’s/Viscar’s idea takes no coding. Just a world staff hour and game like 2 minute. Thats all. Very simple. Much easy

12. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

Okay but, if the world staff solution is a temporary one, could it eventually be replaced with something that is not a base resource but a bonus?

13. 65jes89

If it was eventually replaced by something which the community agreed had a significant amount of value and thus would guarantee a neutral pvp hotspot 24/7, sure. However, I personally would prefer to get this solution through in the mean time, which could be literally done by the weekend, rather than waiting however many weeks or months it takes tech to implement it, after another viable reward was decided upon.

14. MDJTHEHERO

MDJTHEHERO Beggar

I honestly dont see the issue with it, the only thing anyone would use blaze rods for is strenght potions, which is used only in PvP, and the entire pvp community agrees on this blaze rod spawner idea.
    If we were to try this out on the server for a week or two and if it were to go wrong it would only affect the PvP community, who asked for this to be implemented itself.

please lets just try it out.

15. CnocBride

CnocBride Former leader of Enigma.

Before my resignation, I began some side work on a sort of Dungeons project. As a precursor to an actual Dungeons gamemode, I was working on mini dungeons, which sound somewhat similar. I don't know if the idea was rejected since then, which I'm going to say is slightly upsetting as I didn't think that the camping would be a huge issue and anyway, there would eventually be some making their way on to the market, allowing less PvP intense players to acquire them more easily. Here was the doc.

Pity to see it rejected, but I do like the idea of reworking blaze rods.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gwyndo

Gwyndo Scottish Egg

This looks fantastic lmao

Why rejected?

17. Mekking1

Mekking1 If specified, this will replace the title that dis

I hate to say it but Thortuna was a horrible staff in general. I know people liked her, but she never put any effort into staffing and was one of those types to just swing the banhammer at problems.
    I remember sending the IP of a private server that we could continue RPing on while I was muted to a friend all the way back in 2014 and then getting banned for "Advertising a Competing server in mails". I appealed like five times trying to explain the situation, and all of the appeals fell on deaf ears.
    But yea, the staff team is very exemplary now.

As for this suggestion, it would also add a unique element that's not present on other servers and would give Factions something to fight over. Why don't we add these in except we add "Nodes" around the map that provide some form of resource when captured by a faction? Sort of like the workshops in Fallout 76.

18. 65jes89

cool