Roleplay Tropes

Discussion in 'Roleplay Discussion' started by MonMarty, Aug 21, 2018.

1. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

Random thoughts.
    • Orcs are not retarded. Ug-glub-yub-wub Orcs are not lore realistic. It could be argued Orcs have the most complex body language structure known to Alorians, and should never talk like they eat their own boogers. Orcs have a deep oral historical telling, and activities bordering on religious when it concerns normal daily activities.
    • Url pecs are great, but not all the time. Brute races don't have to play bare chest simulator, this also goes for Orcs. Regalia has the best tailors and custom clothing production that would allow anyone to produce clothing fitting for them, without absconding with their thematic design. Orcs and Url don't always need to walk around in rags and are allowed to have form fitted clothing.
    • Cielothar can use clothing colors other than pastel greens and blues.
    • Nobles all wearing the same family-dependent clothing colors is lame.
    • Age is more important in CRP than Proficiency.
    • Velheim accent is really mellow and normal. Scandinavians are really good at speaking English with the pronunciation department. If you want to play a cockney pleb, play an Anglian. Using a cockney accent as a Velheimer just turns them into a trope.
    • Vikings the TV show is a bad showcase of Velheim culture. If you take inspiration from that show, you know nothing.
    • Good recommendations for Velheim inspiration: The Last Kingdom, though it's important to take note to take inspiration from any and all characters EXCEPT the protagonist.
    • Game of Thrones the TV show is a bad showcase of Noble culture. If you take inspiration from that show, you know nothing (Jon Snow).
    • Good recommendations for Noble Inspiration: The Borgias (not the American show), The Duchess (movie), Versailles, Only Game of Thrones scenes that include Olenna Tyrell, Kingdom of Heaven (movie).
    • Noble women don't have bangs, barely, ever. I know it's hard to skin this properly, but female noble hairstyle abhors the usage of bangs because it looks childish.
    • Roleplaying out an accent is unnecessary, especially when you're doing it wrong. Randomly tossing the world "Oui" and "Non" in your english vocabulary as a Ithanian looks dumb. Speaking Alt Regalian as "Vhat eez zhis" is also dumb. Simply prefacing dialogue with XYZ speaks in a heavy Regalian dialect: What is this!" and the person you are roleplaying with will understand and vocalize that in their head.
    More to come in time, I am sure.

• Powerful x 10
    • Winner x 7
    • Agree x 6
    • Thank You! x 4
    • Constructive x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. Ailethi

Ailethi neighborhood milf lover Supremium

I love this. #MartysVentThread

• Powerful Powerful x 1
  3. Reaganism

Reaganism 40th President of the United States

You are biased in favour of Scandinavian accents. They are very distinct and can be noticed / identified immediately. Although I do approve, the accent has nothing to do with the Velheimer thing people usually emote. In fact, I wouldn't even think it'd do justice for the Swedish/Norwegian accent to be represented in writing. The very distinct vowel pronunciation and militaristic diction I hear from both Swedes and Norwegians is better emoted than emulated.

4. Salier

Salier M'Pope

There's a European version of The Borgias? Gonna have to find that

5. HoshiWomp

HoshiWomp animal doctor number 211

True, but it can be fun! :)

• Agree Agree x 8
  6. Lizmun

Lizmun yeah Staff Member Lore2

How would you suggest to properly playing out orc language and whatnot? I played an orc, briefly, some time ago. He was fun while I had him, but I struggled properly portraying their culture properly. It's interesting and unique, and different enough from regular orcs to where players ( At least I couldn't,) can't draw on other fantasy orcs, nor could I find a IRL culture to properly draw from.

7. Reaganism

Reaganism 40th President of the United States

MI FLAT LATZ. LATZ PINKEH BLAH LUYK ZAAHKAH.

• Immersive Immersive x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Conflee

Conflee Me an the bois at 3 am lookin for BEANS!

Accents can be a good tool for getting into character quickly, but they are easy to overdo as well. Rather than focusing on "accents" per say, it might help people to try to develop a way of speaking for each character. Wording this is hard because it sounds a lot like an accent but the way sentences are structured, the abruptness of things, etc. Even down to emotes putting emphasis on what the character would put a focus on. So an analytical character might spend a moment examining their surroundings every time they enter a situation, where a social character might put more focus on the people. A brash or reactionary character might walk into a scene and glance at things for half a second before rushing into it without sparing a glance to notice everything else- cemented attention on what grabbed their notice first. Theres a lot you can do with it. Kind of like how in (good) movies and TV shows the camera tends to follow the main character's focus.

• Useful Useful x 4
  9. Jonificus

Jonificus Pizza the Hutt

The next velheimer I see using the cockney accent will receive a big frownie face from me. I'm not mad at you, I'm just very disappointed.

• Powerful Powerful x 6
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

Speak normal English and use a lot of body language emotes. It's always important for fellow roleplayers to understand what your character's stance is, where their arms are, and what expression is on their face.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  11. ZiggyStarDusted

ZiggyStarDusted *lute music stops*

I love doing the accent though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. AtticCat

AtticCat haeksen van regalia

Yes B r i d a

Y e s

So, what about bangs for commoner characters? Also, would it be acceptable for a child noble to have bangs since.. it's seen as childish and they're children, or would they be put in that situation at fourteen or fifteen where "You're no longer a child! Pin them back!"

13. Bearacuda

Bearacuda I am crime man

You’re in denial over your meds, go back to grade school

Also Anglian accents are fun

14. JoyShake

JoyShake Deceptively unwholesome

-shrieks out of approval in scandinavian-

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Moribundity

Moribundity If she breathes...

So, kind of like Erickson, the super mutant from the fallout 4 far harbor dlc?

16. Proudbucket

Proudbucket Custom title

CRP?
    I'm lost regarding that acronym and the meaning of the sentence. Any help?

17. Speedl0rd

Speedl0rd getting closer

combat roleplay

18. Gwyndo

Gwyndo Scottish Egg

I'm Scottish IRL and find it really fun to write how I talk when playing as my Highlander (though I change things around a little to make use of Mae, Bro, Dude, etc. ofc)

19. onlyathot

onlyathot the thottiest of them all

[​IMG]
    free advertisement, but my family is looking for an olenna-esque character uwu

20. RightChat

RightChat It's an Aurelion Sol main

Dang.

• Immersive Immersive x 1
  21. TheyCalledMeKiko

TheyCalledMeKiko Your Favourite Moustached Godling

This

Also, I know that Cielothar culture is meant to be somewhat pacifist in nature, but I wish more Cielothar players broke the archetype just a little bit, centred around being lovely and wholesome. But flecks of arrogance at their talents, or paranoia maybe, even deceit would be really nice to see in a Cielothar, rather than the usual. Fewer flowers in the hair too would be nice.

22. Speedl0rd

Speedl0rd getting closer

i once had a cielothar that stalked a girl he liked, if that counts

23. BulbousDevourer

BulbousDevourer Refugee

The age being more important than proficiencies in CRP thing is one a lot of people should take note of. There's been a lot of middle-aged warriors running around as of late.

24. Magivore

Magivore No Rest For The Wicked

I tried to do this, but my character was wildly unpopular. Branching away from the current archetype was extremely difficult, mostly since people did not take my Cielothar seriously, not to mention I had a lot of people "correcting" me on how a Cielothar should and always be. Much in how people hate Orcs who show intelligence, I was shown that people did not like a Cielothar that had greedy intentions and hedonism when exposed to the slightest twinge of power and luxury.

As for the clothing colours, there's no excuse for that one. I used a green cloak; guilty as charged.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. TheyCalledMeKiko

TheyCalledMeKiko Your Favourite Moustached Godling

Respect for you trying to do this, and I'm guilty of myself not trying purely for fear of this kind of reaction. Tis a shame ;-;

26. Conflee

I wouldn't say its a direct gradient from Bad to God, Young to Old. A 30 year old might be able to take on a 20 year old and win more often, but a 60 year old wont do as well against the same 30 year old.

27. BulbousDevourer

BulbousDevourer Refugee

I agree, but there are a lot more combat-focused characters in their 40's and 50's and such than there used to be, at least IMO. Such a thing can be done, and not every warrior needs to be super young to be a good fighter, but to make an older character purely for extra proficiency points seems rather nonsensical, unless it's a race like the Avanthar which don't really suffer from such problems until very late in their lifespan.

Older characters will have more experience and knowledge of combat, but their physical capabilities do go slowly but surely downhill once they get past a certain age. At least, that's how it should work, but most people don't take age into account until their character reaches their 50's or so.

• Agree Agree x 3
  28. Gwyndo

Gwyndo Scottish Egg

God I hate people like that. Ran into the exact same scenario, the whole "Allow me to correct you on how to fit your race archetype, instead of your character archetype, (without taking into consideration upbringing, life events, personality, etc. etc.)" is one of the most annoying things ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Optimalfriskies

Optimalfriskies JayP's buddy

In regards to orcs, I find a lot of inspiration within the supermutants of Fallout 2 (not 3 and 4 where they were bastardized into becoming generic glub-glub orcs)

These supermutants are intelligent and strong, and deal a lot with the perception others have of them as hulking beasts. They can be philosophical and deep, and are far from the raging archetype that we are so used to.

30. Altalar

Altalar has Rabies

“Ah gave mah maw a cake. She turned intae a muckle bear, 'n' mah auld da tried tae dae her in. If that’s nae a pure fankle, ah don’t ken whit's. ”

[​IMG]
    * Accents are fun to do especially when you have to try your best to do one while roleplaying a drunk, Ive found that pure Scottish just confuses the absolute bloop out of people oocly and ic.
    * Best advice is to try and roleplay an accent your familiar with, maybe it’s your native tongue and maybe it’s something you learnt at school.
    * Rolling during CRP (personally I find it annoying..)
    * I find roleplay should be about expressing deep fantasies you can’t live out in the real world, with some rules yano lore.. good on you lore team love you woo?? But just because they were a race brought up by war doesn’t mean you can’t have an orc that adapted to modern life, same way an alior can be brought up feral, there’s infinite possibilities of roleplay you can do wacky, serious even just to have fun once and a while. (You shouldn’t feel so much pressure when making a character.. let alone being pressured by friends or peers on what’s the norm for rp of a specific race) like enjoy your time instead of worrying about the smallest things.
    * Personally I’ve been guilty of making to many useless characters that always get abandoned within a few weeks or days, because I feel discouraged by others in the way I roleplay, Months ago I was called out for always making stupid and pointless characters, they asked me why can’t you just make a normal character.. and I did she was even a noble trial. During that experience I came to the conclusion of two things.. if your good at a certain type of character/personality even genre then stay with it.. don’t divert your time doing things you don’t enjoy, and two If roleplaying a character makes you feel so anxious irl you have to keep asking on how you’re doing in rp, is this appropriate behavior, what do I do if someone asks me so and so.. Drop the character and make a new one, I will resay what I said earlier, You shouldn’t feel so much pressure on such a small and minor thing.. it’s bad for your mental health.. and ruins rp for you in general..

• Agree Agree x 1
  31. Optimalfriskies

I just wanna come with one counter argument to you in regards to rolling.

Let's say we have two fighters, both are 30, both weild the same weapon, but one of thrm have a 30 combat-skill, and the other a 10. Realistically, the one with a 30 combat skill should automatically win. Now let's say they roll a d20 + a d(prof).

The one with 30 combat skill rolls a d50, and gets 12. The one eith 5 combat dkill tolls a d30, and gets 20. Now the scales are tipped, and the player with low proficiency stands a chance.

32. Altalar

Altalar has Rabies

As someone who struggles with numbers on a day to day basis, I find it to difficult take their proficiency into consideration, that plus Rolling makes it to confusing to figure out what’s happening at what time, like how am I supposed to know how high to roll or how low to role, is it out of 100? What’s the damage on me if they roll a 15 out of 20 and I roll a 8, How do you determine health in the Rolling like is a 20 out of 20 mean you brake your bones... especially when all these ideas continue to flood into the minds of someone like me it gets to confusing and at that point I just have to be dragged along into a roleplay which I don’t understand or enjoy.

Keep in mind this is my own personal preference, I’m not calling the entire system a waste of time, I just haven’t come to understand how to use it properly in roleplay scenarios.

33. mochha

mochha yolo Supremium

I’ve a Cielothar that breaks prototype with a decent amount of filtering due to her race, lmao.

• Agree Agree x 1
  34. Optimalfriskies

The roll-type that functions best is that the one who rolls highest hits within a reasonable degree. hence, if they went for you with their blade, slashing at your arm, if they roll higher, it would connect. The depth and severity of the cut should be up to you. If you roll consistently low, you'll lose.

35. Conflee

My Cielothar is pretty much 100% broken the archetype. Small, angry, fighty, will actually murder you if you call her short, lol.

Just gotta ignore idiots who want 1 dimensional characters. 1D Chess for 5 IQ plebs.

36. BulbousDevourer

BulbousDevourer Refugee

This isn't really an RP trope exactly, but some people give away so much information when they emote something. For example, instead of saying something like "Soandso ambled into the room, his gaze quickly flickering from person to person as he moved towards the bar, his expression stoic but analytical as he carefully studied the people gathered there", they might say something like "Soandso ambled into the room, his gaze flickering from person to person as he headed towards the bar, searching carefully for vampires, Witchbloods, or abberants of any kind".

Revealing such information completely gives away your characters intentions, and even if people don't meta-game consciously, they might subconsciously. Emotes should really only be used to describe what your character is currently physically doing, not to reveal a ton of information about them that people wouldn't otherwise know. Allow people to find out what your character is intending to do through actions and dialogue, not by leaking it through emotes.

I also notice some people reveal what's going on in their characters head through emotes, and while it doesn't happen as often as the above example, it does still occur. I should be able to tell that your character is sad because of you emoting about their facial expressions or slumped posture or something, not by you telling me through an emote what he's thinking about that's making him sad.

TL;DR: Don't meta information through emotes. It's lame.

• Agree Agree x 5
  37. kudzzy

kudzzy Refugee

Screes in excessive glo'al s'ops+