Bounty Points? The Solution To Pvp Death?

Discussion in 'PVP' started by kniferharm, Aug 8, 2018.

1. kniferharm

kniferharm ILoveEveryone

When I was considering why I don't PvP anymore, I came to the realisation that the reason I, and I assume many others don't want to PvP is the high risk of death and as such complete loss of items. This problem is only worsened for someone who regularly deals with Raptum and Alamut level PvPers who I can almost never kill and as such will just waste God Axes attempting to deal with them.

Now arguments against old Premium Style pacifist was that it removed the reasons for PvP as people didn't gain anything from killing someone who had pacifist. I remember that when I raided back in those days I never targeted premiums because there was no point, they would either not drop items, or be good enough at PvP to drop me.

WHAT IS THE SOLUTION? I hear you ask. Well the introduction of what I call Bounty Points could be used to facilitate the re-introduction of Pacifism to Massivecraft. They would be a plugin which provides benefits to PvPers who kill other players without costing the players that they kill.

Bounty Points would be given to players upon killing another player and would be added to an account much like Regals. They would be entirely redeemable at a special admin shop in return for Building Blocks, Lore Items and for a high price, God Gear. These would be gained in different amounts for the quality of player that is killed rated by different metrics. These metrics could be -
    * Time Since last death
    * Recent Kills.
    * How long a player has been on the server.
    * How large their faction is.
    These points would mean that players would have decent reasons to raid but lose the huge losses associated with fighting. Also people would be far more willing to rush out in 3v1s than they are now.

I am definitely looking for expansions on this suggestion. Any ideas or criticism, drop down in the comments.
    @Winterless @Birb @Brycea111

Any suggestions for checks that could be put in place to stop alt abuse would also be incredibly helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  2. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

On the last server I played on, we used a bounty plugin to hunt people down for things. Players would pay for a bounty, and then we'd claim the target and try to kill them. We would get the money, and I vaguely recall that the player head dropped as well.

Said server has a very small group of players, and actual pvp was nonexistant. The bounty plugin kept things fresh and also spawned a few petty wars between factions over certain "rare" player heads

• Constructive Constructive x 1
  3. Proudbucket

Proudbucket Custom title

Your suggestion has three major problems:
    1- It needs to be coded (and tech staff manpower is an issue).
    2- Killing alts/newbs/friends to farm points becomes a problem.
    3- Depending on what you get from the points it might create problems in the economy.

Possible solutions:
    1- Talk directly with tech staff and convince them to code the plugin ( possibly paying them)
    2- Give points depending on the points that a player has (e.g. 10% of the killed player's points +10 points).
    3- Don't redeem the points, keep them and accumulate them as bragging rights.

4. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

Would be abused and hurt participation in pvp. If you're not losing anything by dying, there's no reason to make any effort to defend yourself, or even try to run, which frankly, is at least better than standing there doing nothing.

5. Mecharic

Mecharic I'm tempermental, deal with it.

Needs to be balanced for economic reasons (no god gear - maybe just pure XP points instead?) but otherwise I do rather like this. It is rather easily abused though, but that can be easily rectified by having points expire over time to prevent an alt from being farmed - only active PvPers would be able to gain points, and inactive accounts would lose them. Maybe have a minimum point level that players get up to by being active, but keep it low (like, 10% the value of a stack of logs in points or something) to prevent it being easily abused. If it works like faction power it would force alt accounts to at least be online to build points, but points should build up very slowly as well as only to a limited degree. Maybe 1 point an hour, 20 points total - so an account needs 20 hours ONLINE without dying to be fully restored and can only be farmed for one point an hour.

Something like that.

• Constructive Constructive x 2
  6. Winterless

Winterless The MVP of Romance RP

Easily solved by implementing a cap per hour on killing someone, like in CoK where if you kill someone 3 times any more kills don't count towards a battle.
    Also very easy to see by staff

Nor is there any reason to PvP if you're getting 6v1ed consistently and there's no reason to even try and PvP cause you're just gonna die and there's no way to improve if you're a player getting into PvP for the first time. Also, I don't think he's talking about re-introducing pacifist completely- probably more like a death streak thing that lasts for 24 hours or until you get a kill

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. aprader1

aprader1 Insert amazing title here

What if it gave you points directly related to the defenders faction power. Like 25% so if they have 10 power it rewards 2.5 points and 20 power is 5 points etc. can’t be farmed very easily and has diminishing returns since it’s a percent.

8. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

9. Arganam

Arganam Lord Brandt von Eisner

Interesting suggestion, it could lead to a PvP leaderboard of some sort too. I like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lumbo

Lumbo Refugee

I don’t see how this plugin can destroy the economy as you can make it so it taxes people every time they place a bounty on someone, like for an example if I were to put a bounty on someone for 24 regals, it’ll cost another 6 for the tax to prevent abuse and spam.

Since the plugin is already coded, it’s easy to code it the way you’d like it to be coded without sacrificing a lot of time into it.

Now I don’t see the point in having bounty points, these should be replaced with regals to prevent abuse and vice versa unless if you’re willing to lose more than you gain from putting bounties on people.

Just my thoughts.