Embassies, You Say?

Discussion in 'Feature & Idea Discussion - Archive' started by Tubbytundra, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Tubbytundra

Tubbytundra Kommandant

For those who weren't here some years ago, the hub of the server used to be a city called SilverEdge. Well, in silveredge, there weren't shops or houses per se, but embassies, places where factions could recruit from and show off their wealth. I recommend we bring embassies back to Regalia, both for traditional recruitment use, but also for role play. It wouldn't utilize any actual claiming of land, as was the case in silveredge, but could use a build permissions system similar to the one the houses in Regalia use. As is befitting of a true embassy, they would not be taxed, but I suppose they could still pay an 'upkeep', a smaller fee, but on that is nonetheless something that would be kept on top of. As these embassies would be reflective of the factions they represent, they need not settle on one single building style, but can be whatever style befits the faction, similar to embassies in real life. While I would imagine that these embassies would be built by the factions themselves (perhaps with staff assistance), it would be understandable if they would be built by the staff alone and even without input from the faction it would be utilized by. Perhaps most importantly, though, is that the embassies wouldn't be a first-come first serve like the housing and shops in Regalia now, but would be allotted by the staff to each faction based on how they would appear in an RP sense, with the more powerful and prestigious factions getting better allotments. This system would also not be intended for many factions in the first place, since space and staff time are valuable, so only a small amount (a dozen?)of factions would have embassies, with the more prestigious and active factions being at the top of the list.

Apologies if this idea may seem a bit rough around the edges, since it was more or less off the cuff, but I feel it captures the essence of the idea. Do let any agreements or suggestions be known below!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Kaezir

Kaezir Lunatic

I really like this.

Issue is finding a spot that is frequented by people without imposing on/disrupting RP. Provided you want it in Regalia. Otherwise it'll just be an afterthought no one visits.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. leafnosedbat

leafnosedbat juice thought. Supremium

Faction embassies would go a long way towards stitching the two worlds back together.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. SubscriptShark

SubscriptShark Not Registered

I like this. Would Encourage people more !

5. Conflee

Conflee Me an the bois at 3 am lookin for BEANS!

The area to the right of RP spawn is fairly barren. Theres even a massive Ithanian style house the size of a noble estate that just, empty. Doesnt even have a rent region in it.

It might take a bit or reworking but im sure that could be worked with pretty effectively.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TMI_Lord_Khan

TMI_Lord_Khan Authoritarian Overseer

Doesn't fit lore though, a bunch of self-declared kingdoms with their own religions and authorities showing up at regalia and establishing themselves of their right doorstep would be heretical, improbable, and most likely the Regalian armies would flush them out for rebel insurgency and self-declaration of rule on the continent of Daen, which is ruled by Regalia in lore, but in factions is comprised of Teled, Hyarroc, and Ithania.

7. Beetletoes

Beetletoes Regalian Prince

+1
    A place near spawn's good, to make it easily accessible. I'd certainly visit it.

8. Conflee

I dont think its so much about presenting factions as 100% canon in the Alorian Lore, but more bridging the gap a bit further. I had a whole sphele in another thread just now but essentially I have come to the conclusion that while people WANT separate lore for factions, in the end that is 100% counter productive. Instead players should be focusing on making their factions loosely fit into established lore to make the translation between Factions and Roleplay more smooth.

As you say, at the moment Factions is a chaotic mess of False Nobles and Usurpers and Rebels in Regalia's eyes, if taken into consideration in Lore. But if they just focused around lords and minor nobles- maybe Knights given knights are given land to rule in real Feudal systems- and try to avoid the edgy lore-breaking stuff like demon armies and rebellions, it would flow better.

Get Lore and Game staff to work together to make the worlds have better cohesion. BUT still give some freedom to Factions. The way I interpreted the rules when I read them is, Factions is still in the same world as Roleplay, but their rules for going about this roleplay are looser, since matters like GodRP and MetaGaming are non-existent in Factions.

TL;DR - Factions should follow the same lore as Regalian RP, but be given more leeway with how they use this lore and act in their daily affairs.

If this was pushed, then an Embassy of sorts, as a Light RP more Factions-esk environment nestled into a small, already fairly OOC section of Regalia to present these higher end factions as Light RP zones would be beneficial for blurring the line between Factions RP and Regalian RP even further.

9. Beetletoes

Beetletoes Regalian Prince

Is the portal to magic island in the lore? What about the premium shop thing? It really doesn't matter if its """in the lore""", what matters is bridging the divide and bringing the two halves of the server together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tubbytundra

Tubbytundra Kommandant

While it may not be the most lore compliant, they could in a sense be considered nominal vassals/tributaries/whatever of Regalia, and thus have embassies established in the capital to maintain relations. It wouldn't be as if some nations just up and established their embassies in Regalia, but it would be as if they were there all along, and in the case of an embassy changing hands, it could simply be that Regalia breaks off relations with one nation and establishes them with another.

In any case, though, lore compliance isn't really a priority, since it is meant to be focused more so towards the factions element of the server, not the rp part.

11. Conflee

Another thing I would love personally and has been suggested before once I think, is expanding the docks behind Regalia Spawn and adding boats to Factions Worlds.

This idea could be doubly expanded if the Docks were made as big as I think they should be (which is like, 3x their size now) and make it so factions can pay a mas of regals, say 1k, for a boat to be added to the Docks that teleports players to their cities- assuming they arent land-locked. They have this boat's ownership for say, 100 days, like how Estates work. And they even have some say in their decor, like banner and sail colors, etc.