Raise Faction Creation Cost

Discussion in 'Feature & Idea Discussion - Archive' started by falconhand, Jul 9, 2017.

?

Shall we increase the cost to create a faction?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. falconhand

falconhand Aieralynian Kingdom

A few months ago, the cost to create a faction was raised from 100r to 500r. This is not enough. I personally believe that the cost to create a faction should be 4-5k. As of now, a new player can join the server, and in less than two days, have a faction of their own. This causes larger factions to have difficulty recruiting these players, since everyone has their own little faction.

It stunts PvP as well, since everyone wants their own faction, it winds up in a lot of tiny conflicts, instead of a grand impressive war, with multiple sides fighting, etc. I realize that players could train as well, and that should be encouraged, but few veteran PvPers are willing to train new players to fight.

It stunts larger factions and their expansion, as I said before, because new players have no incentive to join a large, established faction, if they can create their own, and lead it instead. I don't want new players to feel like they are restricted, but I want a faction to feel like a goal to work towards. I personally wasn't around at the time, but I have heard stores, a good example is from @Genecide65 about how he started Insani, and it took him quite some time to save up the coins to do it. He spoke of the sense of accomplishment and the feeling of elation as he finally typed in the /f create command. Now days, thats much more limited, since its extremely easy to create a faction.

Increasing costs would also create higher-quality factions. When someone has invested more into the creation of a faction, I would think (and this is just speculation) they would tend to treat it better. Look at older factions like Insani and Tyberia. They paid more to create their faction, and they take pride in how it runs and operates. I have gone around on alts to some of the newer factions, and joined just to see how they run, and its honestly kinda sad. There is an attitude of "fend for yourself" in a lot of instances. I don't mean to sound accusatory, but I feel like only the people that really want a faction should be leading a faction, and increasing costs would help this significantly.

Another benefit of increasing faction costs would be a less cluttered world. This would take some time to pan out, but eventually inactive factions would die out, and because of the decreased amount of new ones, there would be space for larger facs to grow and expand instead of 800 (yes there are 800+ factions on this server) small factions cluttering the worlds.

I also feel like having a higher creation cost would help faction RP and faction markets, since with a larger community in your faction, there are many types of people, and they can share what they enjoy and teach other players the ropes of PvP, RP, show them how to build, etc.

Now for the downsides.

Darkrooms: This would drastically increase the cost of creating a darkroom. Simple as that. However, every faction doesnt need their own DR, since there are numerous public ones avaliable.

Vaults & Alt factions: Honestly, if you are rich enough to have too many items to store in your faction house or whatever, you can probably save up enough to create a vault faction fairly easily.

Please discuss, I will update this thread with other benefits and downsides to this change that are given in the discussion.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Aeyris

Aeyris ex-ceo of Lyrah

I joined this server with Rinozu and Zendai a few years ago, Many new players join with friends with the intent to start their own faction friends. Thats a huge part of the faction dynamic. Of course people could just join a "developed faction" and work for a few months to be able to afford a faction - but I don't think most players have that determination. Since this this server is so unique I dont think we can afford this. I don't even think small factions really fight, but if there is a fight usually they band together to form larger alliances. And thats a lot of fun in my experience, because it makes people work together.Personally, just because a faction is small doesn't mean that they are clutter, Actually, smaller new factions carry a heavy portion of the economy because overtime they spend, work and grow more than a fully developed faction. I agree there is a problem, but raising the cost of living will hurt socially and economically because it will further stagnate the server.

#2 Aeyris, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  3. Zacatero

Zacatero Regalian High Lord

Factions would be much better off if Joining existing factions was favored more than starting your own. Because a smaller number of larger factions is better than a large number of small factions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. HeartAched

HeartAched ~Valerus King~

Put it back to 2,000 like it was years ago.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Tubbytundra

Tubbytundra Kommandant

I would agree with a price increase (not necessarily as high) if massive restore weren't a thing, but since massive restore will make it impossible for a simple survivalist to live out on his own without a faction, then I have to disagree, since some people do want just that, but if faction prices were too high, then it would push away those who wish to be on their lonesome or who want a little place on the side. Also, I would assume that with the upcoming Empires small factions can be vassals/tributaries of other factions, which thus makes these smaller and more insignificant factions far more interesting and in higher demand, and so with higher faction prices one would likely see less use of the Empires plugin.

6. Genecide65

Genecide65 Mich

Yeah I had to work my ass off to make Insani, and then I ended up making InsaniDR for 500r like it was no big deal. Its not that hard to make regals, all you gotta do is vote on all the sites for like 2 or 3 days and boom you have a faction (and that is just if you voted only and didn't make money in any other ways.). I think a high price to create a faction somewhere between 5-7 thousand regals so that players would have to start at the bottom of the chain as a peasant farmer or whatever and would have to make money and work till they become a king or queen. This would encourage players to join factions instead of make their own, which allows them to socialize with other players weather its faction mates or allies and allows them to make friends, which I think will keep new players from quitting the server within the first day because having friends on massive is a main reason why many of us are still here.