Set Time

Discussion in 'Feature & Idea Discussion - Archive' started by HydraLana, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HydraLana

HydraLana The Very Gay Walking Talking Lore Encyclopedia Staff Member Lore3

Does anyone think that there should be a set time for server restarts (or resets) or some kind of message posted about this?

2. Mecharic

Mecharic I'm tempermental, deal with it.

I am a full prem. I agree with this idea. Perhapse every 2 hours the server restarts? Or just kicks everyone (that was non-prems can get on)?

3. yendor46

yendor46 Nicholai the Elder

Having set restart times would be both good and bad for non-premiums getting on the server. Everyone would know when to try to get on, so they wouldn't spend/waste as much time trying to get on. On the other hand, the success rate of getting on at restart will go down as everyone will know when the restart will happen, so there will no longer be any reward for persistence, and the people who were already on would have just as much chance of not getting back on, making it much harder to maintain continuity in role play and pvp situations.

The fact is that restarts need to happen to correct problems and do updates. As the people doing these things are volunteers, it doesn't make as much sense to make them wait for the next scheduled restart, when restarting when needed will allow the server to run better and save the mods time.

4. Overlordqwerty

Overlordqwerty Traveler

'Restarts' happen at set intervals to decrees lag. 'Updates' happen when ever they need to update. Nothing is added to server in a 'Restart'

5. ulumulu1510

ulumulu1510 Magical Assistant

Infact restarts have nothing to do with lag. They happen every four hours to save the worlds and make a backup of them.

6. Overlordqwerty

Overlordqwerty Traveler

Shows how much I know. Either way they still have nothing to do with updates right?

7. Zanip

Zanip Swag Cannon

Don't they rotate the log files?

8. igel_son

igel_son Former Tavern Keeper in Regalia.

We close down the server for updates. Outside the schedualed restarts.[DOUBLEPOST=1365198690,1365198622][/DOUBLEPOST]But if you are sneaky you could time the restarts, they occur as i said on schedual so its the same hours inbetween them :P

9. Overlordqwerty

Overlordqwerty Traveler

*waits for restart, turns on stopwatch*

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. J3r3my

J3r3my Refugee

Are they scheduled or do they occur after each other? Last time I did a rough measurement I got it to be 5hrs in between two restarts, making the time different from day to day (1hr offset each day).

11. EyebrowsJ

EyebrowsJ Regalian Pioneer

Restarts take 5 minutes. I timed it.

12. Overlordqwerty

Overlordqwerty Traveler

Everyone keep your information to your selves about the restart. If we post it here all the randoms who did no work will know and that will not really be fair to us. I may or may not have already worked out the exact time between each restart and tested it to prove it works(bandit).

13. J3r3my

J3r3my Refugee

I believe in freedom of information so if I would have the numbers I would publish them :)

14. Overlordqwerty

Overlordqwerty Traveler

If I published them everyone would know the time of the restarts and would have done no work towards it, if they want the information they can spend the time to work it out.

15. J3r3my

J3r3my Refugee

So? Spare them the time. :)

16. Overlordqwerty

Overlordqwerty Traveler

Meaning spare you the time:P.

17. J3r3my

J3r3my Refugee

Not really, I'm premium at the moment.

18. Overlordqwerty

Overlordqwerty Traveler

As we speak I am actually working on the excel doc which has all the restart information. When it is finished I'll think about handing out copies.[DOUBLEPOST=1365368691,1365368656][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Fair enough.[DOUBLEPOST=1365369546][/DOUBLEPOST]If there is a restart in 3 hours and 40 minutes (10:40 GMT+10) then I know I worked all the data out properly and it will be safe to publish some of it.

19. HydraLana

HydraLana The Very Gay Walking Talking Lore Encyclopedia Staff Member Lore3

Ah how excelent

20. Overlordqwerty

Overlordqwerty Traveler

I may not be able to check if there is a restart my self so if there is one at the time I predicted can someone post it here. If there isn't can someone also post that and I'll have a look at my calculations.
    Checked it my self, calculation's were correct.

21. Overlordqwerty

Overlordqwerty Traveler

Actually not exactly 5 hours, and you don't have to use a stop watch you can just record them time it restarts then record the next time it restarts. And by doing a bit of math you can work out the time difference. I was told by Cay that updates also reset the restart clock so my predictions are incorrect as there is no way to calculate when updates happen.

BTW i recorded 5 hour and 2 minutes between restarts

22. J3r3my

J3r3my Refugee

I wrote a small script that pings the server on a given interval, so I will be able to work out the average time between restarts.

23. Overlordqwerty

Overlordqwerty Traveler

I'll start a conversation about working out restart times. Anyone who would like to be part of it can msg me.

24. Arvallon

Arvallon Arvanion Cyladhras of Avallónë

Is it maybe possible to display a timer showing how long it takes till the next restart? (ofcource not the manualy ones) So that people who can't get on the server during the busy hours can lookup on the site how long it takes to the next restart and then join when the restart is over? This may ease the fullserver problem a bit. :D (but only till sharding is compleet, for i dont think wel need it after :p)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.