A Word On Slavery.

Discussion in 'Regalian Roleplay' started by GrunklePeter, Apr 28, 2021.

1. GrunklePeter

GrunklePeter That furry skinner guy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it worth it?

That is the question I am here to ask you. Is it worth it, ruining the lives of many, solely to grow your wealth and possessions? Is it worth it, to cause people to rebel against their fellow sailors and captains, to cause people to slaughter and kill, perhaps not willingly, but to try and save the lives of more?
    To try and save the lives of those about to be enslaved by the wealthy and greedy?

For I witnessed said slaughter, I witness said anger inside those people at those ships, I witnessed the bloodshed and dismemberment of the innocent and honest captains and crews of those ships, who resorted to their only option, which you might say is not the most honorable ones, to feed their families.

Innocent people died among the hands of those who attacked the ships?

They did not deserve to die any more than entire countries deserve to be enslaved, and yet they still died, and yet entire populations still get enslaved.

For once, I would like to believe that those people who attacked our ships, tried to do that for a greater good. To save the many lives of the slaves they took with them, and not to sell them or enslave them even further.

Is this such a godlike thing to do to your peers? People who are equal to you, despite of your titles, because that’s what they are. Only titles. Said titles do not give you the right to kill, do not give you the right to enslave and explore our entire families, our children, even our elders, until their hands bleed and their backs can’t sit straight. But please, do not get me wrong as I am not questioning the rights of those with titles, but instead the rights of those without.

What I ask of you, citizens of the Holy City, friends, foes, acquaintances. Whether you know me, or not, whether this has made you suffered or hasn’t, whether you knew about this problem or didn’t. Please, take a moment and think. If you hadn’t realized this already, take a moment and reflect on what caused this bloodshed. The people are not happy.

And you may say ‘But what gives you the authority to say this, someone who works for slave traders, protects their ships? What do you know?’ But I will answer you, I will own my mistakes and my doings, for the reason I sail these ships is not but because of an agreement where the trading of slaves would cease.

My people have been enslaved for ages, and so have your peers. I am sure that if each and every one of you think about it, you will see that you have suffered with this, one way or the other.

For this is an issue that should worry not only for my people, but all people. This is an issue for your people, for our people, for you.

We cannot allow this oppression to keep going.

Sincerely, saddened but hopeful,

[​IMG]

• Powerful Powerful x 17
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
  2. bwmwags3

bwmwags3 Refugee

Biriq nods making the last of the offerings to the Herons.

“Brother, we need to be better...to do more and ease our actions,” called the Captain’s first mate.

Biriq nodded, “Sever chains, unite our brothers and sisters, bring harmony from pain these are the tasks our faith bestows upon Asha.”
    —————————————————————————-

Atum reads giving a nod, “May my words aid the cause. With diplomacy may we end the need for bloodshed to do what is right. With words and intention may we bring this world to freedom and peace!”

• Powerful Powerful x 2
  3. MineeMyTortelini

MineeMyTortelini

Dear Gamal,

I couldn't agree more... I hope we can give up on the cruelty that is slavery. And that my people decide to let their Asha slaves go. No human, nelfin, Asha or other race should be chained in servitude against their own will.

Yours sincerely,

Elise Vexelle

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Ryferion77

Ryferion77 :>

Reilan Vann-Eskondr looked upon this letter, and nodded with every argument.

"By the Sun, we need more of this." He whispered to himself. He put the parchment down, and reminisced the days where he were a boy, not constrained by routines nor opinion.

This here, is the beginning of something better, a world where men, women and children are not chained and beaten by an entitled folk's gesture. This, is the beginning of the end of slavery.

• Powerful Powerful x 1
  5. Wumpatron

Wumpatron Das Wump

"Oh" The Solstithar mage read over the words carefully, his fingers intertwined with blue sparks of lightning that clung to his features. "Well perhaps it is best to put this into perspective then."
    Page Break Subtle.png
    All men are not created equal. Those who do not have the means to defend themselves or are simply fit to serve should be put to service. For centuries it was the Ailor who were servants to the Est-Allorn, they broke their chains and marched free. The Asha equally broke their chains, but they are not all free. It is simply put that the Ailor is more capable to lead and to govern. I have seen firsthand their rise to power to attain the Crown of the World for themselves. Theirs is not one to see their people in servitude, rather, they are the leaders. Until such a point that the Asha can self sustain themselves and break free of their servitude and become leaders in the world alongside the Ailor then their service in the fields, laboring and toiling will be cemented.

You wish for slavery to end. Very well, then let it end. But supply the labor necessary to sustain the industries that exist because of it. Who will manage the fields that produce the wine, the fields of cane that make the rum which the Regalian sailors consume readily. The tabacca fields and so on. Without the free wealth created by these industries, by the labor of the slaves, then the economy of this Empire begins to buckle further and soon it will be the Ailor who are threatened. It is better to keep the single group in chains for the betterment of all than to have them set free and see this nation plunge into chaos.

And before the critique rolls in, this is not a matter of race, least not for myself. It is a matter of economic necessity that the institutions of slavery exist. I care not for Asha in positions of authority, same as I never cared for Ailor in power, or Allar, or any other race that walks with sentience along Aloria. If you want slavery to end, find an alternative. Until then your critiques are not warranted, not because slavery is not damaging to individuals, but because there needs to be an alternative. If none can be provided, then it is clear to see that slavery is necessary to continue existing.
    Page Break Subtle.png
    Signed,
    Charles Kholvunar​

• Educated Educated x 1
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
  6. MidnightRey

MidnightRey Ruler of the Abyss

Redacted read over the notice, letting out a sigh
    "A ton of excuses, if you want labor. Pay for the persons services. Plain and simple I don't care what you have to say. It's not a matter of the economy, it's a matter of the Ailors saving a few more bucks in their pockets. News flash, a person is much more willing to do work if they're paid and treated well to do it. Groups that treat it's employers correctly and have happy employers often are the groups that thrive. Happy employees often lead to better customer service, and therefore the customers are also happy. And said happy employees are ones less likely to stab you in the back first time they get, and are rather quite loyal to you. Unlike a slave who would try betraying you the moment your back is turned and make a run for it. I don't want to hear these half witted excuses as to why Slavery is needed to keep the economy going."
    "Rond'e I advice not wasting your good ink and paper, words won't do you any good. If you want people to listen, do something to make them listen."

The creature of metal and plant shook their head in perhaps disappointment. Before putting the notice aside. Beginning to write some in a book next to their side.

• Powerful Powerful x 2
  7. MidnightRey

MidnightRey Ruler of the Abyss

@GrunklePeter
    Your character is mentioned in my post ^^

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. GrunklePeter

You understand me wrong, for I worry not only about Asha being enslaved but about everyone that could suffer from this.
    All kinds of races suffer from oppression, and no economic excuses account for this. The labor is there, if the enslavers wanted to become employers.
    And it is quite simple to understand, again, if you wanted to understand.

Pay those people, give them jobs and proper opportunities in life, without the poor treatment that slaves get, cut your profit slightly, as for slight would be the need to cut profit. Give them 1 regal more than you give them now. The alternative is not slaving, the alternative is not killing people and ending lives only for someone to have easy, dirty profit.​

Signed,

[​IMG]

• Powerful Powerful x 1
  9. Ocularum

Ocularum Scott Staff Member PR3

This response is localized to Clawcourt on a single sheet of paper pinned to a post near the Baskarr Temple. It's written with a steady hand, but it looks like the writer almost gave up at several points.
    [​IMG]

I try not to write and I try not to read. Pretty worded treatises and essays do not amount to much in these parts, but I will entertain you. The answer to the question you posed is yes. It is worth it, because if it were not it would stop. Fighting economics with moralistic calls to action is a losing battle. Every mind you change might be one whose family has been touched by the trade, but every mind you do not is one whose excuses were already in mind and leaving mouth. People who have suffered the same in history but not directly experienced that horror themselves are detached.

Every body is a number on a ledger, and if not a number someone who deserves one of the world's greatest cruelties. That is a school of thought adopted by the Jendaskea and perpetuated by Daen's economic dependence on the trade. The same can be said for the Ithanians, for the Northerners—For anyone whose cultural identity and economic prosperity is born off the backs of others. It is an institution so big and so long lived that all hope you have rests on doing something about it. You can ease your guilty conscience with words, but you directly participated in that system. You have something to atone for, and you will not find it by pleading with us to stop a construct bigger than us all.

Keep your guilt and do something about it, and come have that drink you owe me.

— Nefer​

• Powerful Powerful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. MrNoot1

MrNoot1 Let there be Noot

During one of the Bakrathar's free roams, he would stop to see the notice. His eyes looked slowly before giving a chuckle and shaking his head. "If only it were so easy.. to be able to break free from the chains of slavery and be myself. And with the heat from the New Regalians, my Mas-... Duke Slumberwood, has harmed himself enough." And with that, he would move to head right back to the estate of House Slumberwood as soon as possible.

• Powerful Powerful x 1
  11. Ghirko

Ghirko Snek Intensifies

The lavender Allar, Cro-Maarx, looked upon the notice and scoffed, "We all know those pirates weren't acting out of a sense of heroism but out of instinct on making easy coin. You know as well as any that the deal extended as far as Asha slaves only, and on the premise you uphold your end, which, as two ships failed to make it, you did not do." He snaps his fingers to an Als-Allar by his heel, "I think we need to talk with the Captain."

12. GrunklePeter

I respect your opinion on pretty words, but they are never only such. Pretty words and essays are what start things, and not violence. Words change minds, and new ideas are what change opinions.

As for myself, you understand me wrong. I do not feel guilty. This is not about me. As I wrote before, the only reason I accepted the job, and you should know, for you were there) was for a greater good, and because we agreed to cease the slave trading if I did work for the Vyzal. As I just wrote, once again, you were there. You heard the conversation.

As for that drink, I will happily drink it.

Signed,
    Rond'e Gamal​

• Agree Agree x 1