An Essalonian Affair

Discussion in 'Player Events' started by Commanderkull, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Commanderkull

Commanderkull Vasch: Demon of Valyria and King of Necimus

Steadfast will be hosting a faction/rp event in Essalonia at our developing jousting arena and fairgrounds on May 8th or 9th. Time has not been scheduled for event start.(Approved character not required but recommended)

How to sign up:
    A.
    Well if you are not interested in dueling, jousting, or pvping, no worry this event is still for you. Prizes can still be earned by attending! ​
    B. If you are a Dueler, sign up by providing your characters name. Characters are required to duel because they have approved stat sheets. Provide a RP story for your characters attendance (optional). Will your character be killable in the duel (Y/N)? Do you wish to duel alone or with a group?
    C. If you are a PvP’r, sign up by listing your in game name, mcmmo stats, reason you’d like to attend, and (if you are feeling creative) a roleplay story for you’re attendance.
    D. If you wish to Joust, sign up by listing your in game name, RP character if you wish to joust as them, and will you need a horse or bring your own?
    E. If you wish to offer a roleplay service, such as fortune telling, describe your service, it’s role at our fair, and if You wish to be compensated for it.
    F. If you wish to be a Vendor, list your goods, why they are unique, and do you believe they will sell at our fair.

The Event RP:
    Intro:
    There lies a sickness in every man's mind, an inferiority brought about by a simple desire- a desire so humane, so pure, so necessary that without it dark thoughts corrupt one's mind. This abstract thing- A desire, a need, no: an almost primal craving for the companionship of others. Loneliness can wreak more havoc on a man's mind and his character, more so than even those who engage in unionist reforms. Yet how often, a blind eye is turned to the lonely man who sits quietly in his abode, rarely graced by the warmth of another's presence. Sitting week after week, year after year, until one no longer even keeps track of time in horrid silence so loud it is deafening; what becomes of a man's mind? Where is he to turn his devices to? He would find purpose with himself, no? To Seek out new skills and to broaden the mind?.He should master architecture….except no one would see his structures. He would master literature….but none would read his books. He should take up the sword!!!....but there are no foes left to slay. He would forge great works of steel...but none would brandish the weapon. But certainly, such a man could find something to do? No this dark and ominous mental cloud blocks all such judgements, choosing instead to turn oneself into a sorrow that is a void only capable of consuming all glimmers of hope. All one is left to do in this state is to simply be, to sit in silent agony so painful that one wishes for release that only teases but never comes.All he can do is exist in a world that has no knowledge of him...or rather if they do, he is thought forgotten. And so he sits, that loneliness plaguing his mind and withering away at his consciousness until he himself ceases to exist or be left in a state of catatonic bliss..watching the fields grow and forced to relive past memories in hopes of retaining sanity. The daily act of waking up to the cruel reality of being alone, that coldness bereft of any care or gentleness comes at dawn and does not leave at dusk. Instead it comes sporadically until one is totally consumed at all times and the lines between reality and imagination begin to blur. Dear madams and sirs…..there is such a man, will you hear his last plea?

Something is not quite right in Essalonia.......

There are bountiful fields full of tall, yellow wheat waving in the winds outside of great, forgotten stone citadels home to some of the richest nobles of the land. There are sprawling, beautiful towns with cramped streets filled with merchant stalls and shops. So vibrant is the scenery, so filled with life one could almost faintly smell hints of fresh meats and baked delicacies in the air. There are northern peaks so tall no man could hope to scale them, where dwarves dwell upon hordes of wealth unseen in decades. There are the deserts in the south filled with holy temples and mausoleums to unknown gods. There are deep lakes over flowing with fish and meager homesteads along the shoreline. The homesteads look so cozy and lovely one could almost picture the inside and all the comforts of home that would await. How great Essalonia must be to display such attractive features? Except.....something is not quite right in Essalonia

The cozy homesteads always look freshly vacated as if someone had just up and abandoned home at a minute's notice. The fish in the lakes account for the population of these places. The holy temples in the south are without a congregation, no one speaks the names of their gods. The plains filled with developed estates, fortresses, and settlements are empty....there are no denizens of these places. The wind can be heard almost howling through the towns....that or the sound of ravenous wolves who gather at night. The aroma of sweets and luxurious food is replaced by a staleness in the air, it’s almost crisp. One would die before finding fresh food in these places. The dwarves have almost vanished from the north.....no contact has been made in so long it’s almost safe to assume they have gone and the undead freely wander amongst empty buildings. The bountiful, beautiful wheat fields that stretch to the horizon in all directions remain Unharvested. Where are all the people?????

“What does it mean to be a King?” Pedros wondered silently on his large white marble throne. “A King”, he thought, “A King governs his people! Ah yes a king does that doesn’t he? A king has to be capable of defending his people, of being their hero! A good king does all of these things and more, he legislates, he is a jury, he is a judge, he is a warrior, he is fair, he can be benevolent, he is a provider…..” As he continued his train of frantic gibberish is broken by the booming of thunder in the distance. Pedros snaps out of this mental lull and realizes once again that his thoughts were being spoken aloud by himself. He had blurred the lines between thought and speech once again....it had been so long since he had talked to someone, how he longed for the most tedious of social interactions if only for the chance to speak to a living person. This habit had developed recently and had been occurring more and more frequently. Pedros was losing himself to an enemy far greater than he had ever faced before, an enemy of the mind.He internally rebukes himself for his former train of thought. He had been thinking of a time many years ago, a time when he was once called king. As his eyes darted around his throne room, he slowly murmured, “I am no king….at least not anymore”...Pedros had been reminiscing not only on his kingship but also the former qualities of himself he so cherished. Parts of him he could almost no longer tell were real or not. Part of his madness was derived from the fact that not only was Pedros a shell of his former self physically, but also in all aspects of character he was withering. How often his mind toiled away, slaving, hoping for someone to come back, to remember, to call him King. Pedros shed a silent tear, even memories that once brought him the most joy were now replaced by the empty feeling of loneliness. He had no one to share these memories with except of course for his favorite Royal Horse and chickens. “A time ago I was a hero in these lands, the people adored me, my armies secured the lands, and now here I sit upon my throne of sadness, pleading with the spectral members of my court whom have sprung themselves from my mind into the world! Give me back my soldiers, Jaxton Storm, you coward”! Pedros was now on his feet, shaking his calloused hands at the ceiling of his throne room, as if finishing some great speech to an audience of spectres. Pedros goes quiet, he sinks back down into his throne, head downcast as he realizes he is losing himself by the minute, once again he was speaking aloud, a host to an invisible court. How theatrical the poor man's madness presented itself. Worst of all Pedros thought, “The chickens have stopped speaking with me so I will have to share my thoughts with Royal horses instead. Perhaps they would reply, The King giggles”. He had thought out loud again.
    Oh how old the King now looked, his former broad shoulders, meat and strong, now hunched down as if there was a great weight upon them. Two black circles remained under his eyes regardless of if he slept or not....he didn’t do much anyways these days, preferring to roam his lands. His bold, beautifully colored blonde hair was now graying and also occasionally came out in clumps. Decay of his holy body.....how degrading. Wrinkles formed on his forehead and his brow was always furrowed...almost always in a deep thought. His long, gazelle-like legs now bent and moved a little slower than in his prime. The king even traded in his blessed armor for silk leisure clothes...what a defeat to his status. His voice that once boomed over hundreds of men, rallying them to cut and hack at the enemy regardless of personal harm, now reduced to a more rough, scratchy, and forced version of itself. Even the demeanor of the king had changed....he just looked defeated in spirit and body. His diet of the finest meats and vegetables reduced to rations of what he could farm himself...mostly potatoes. His enormous wealth, thousands upon thousands of Regalian Regals, totally worthless now to his “Kingdom''. All sense of purpose formerly brought about by his time as ruler had nearly vanished. -
    After some time, Pedros slowly rose up out of his throne, staring at a very vivid depiction of himself and his most favorite soldiers. His fond gaze suddenly shifted to hatred. Next to himself, almost as brilliantly depicted as he was Jaxton Storm, one of his top generals. How could Jaxton had abandoned him, how could he have taken the most elite force of Steadfast and vanished leaving him to his own devices. Disgust, anger, and feelings of resentment poured into his already aged and troubled mind. The men had been gone for years now too....he had sent them out to find the remaining population of Essalonia or survivors from his lands to bring to him, yet they still have not returned. It seems Pedros had forgotten the loyalty of his men, how they had agreed to obey his order and search for new and old citizens alike. That Jaxton had sworn to not return until he had fulfilled his King's wish. “I am alone, I’m truly alone after all, no one is coming and they never will come, you deranged old fool”, he blurted out loud. The anger left his face and a tear fell from his cheek to the hard stone floor of his empty throne room, a site that had become the daily setting for Pedros. “My people....My friends.....my soldiers....You have abandoned your King!”, he cried into the silence of his dimly lit court. “There must be something I can do, the people of this land would not abandon it without reason”, he thought, “I can get them to come back, I can''! He moved now with a new vigor, perhaps purpose, for an event that was being put into motion.

The King dragged himself up onto his favorite steed, or rather only steed left, the rest of the barn was littered with skeletons of formerly well kept and bred stallions. He began riding out to his once bountiful, populated countryside. “The Fairgrounds my steed, they may save us yet!” The King, perhaps in a fit of madness he had not yet been subject to before, happened to remember or rather relive one of his favorite times as a young King in his formerly populated nation. The horse, moving as fast as it could will itself, carried the King to the local fair grounds. The vibrant tents expanded as far as the eye could see although slightly discolored now. Torn banners waved in the winds, empty game stalls and an overgrown maze filled with all sorts of danger...or treasures lurked within. The King hurried the horse past the markets, past the games, past the maze, all the way to the place he so vividly remembered.

His eyes lit up, tears sparkled in his eyes, happiness filled his old, worn body and he sat more rigidly in his saddle, vibrating with excitement. “The Jousting Arena, home to the creation of many heroes and champions of SteadFast, even I gained my fame in this arena”, Pedros reminisced while petting his horse. Suddenly, as if willed by an unseen force, he jumped off his horse, knees almost unprepared for the impact of the ground, and shakily regained his balance. The visions of grandeur becoming larger and more lifelike by the second in his head, he drew his sword, now heavy in his hands, but lifted it high over his head. What followed would have made a commoner faint, Pedros himself could not explain it either yet he suddenly moved and swayed around the arena as if in a familiar battle. A wild grin was across his face, eyes glazed over, while grunting and shouting, swinging his blade at the imaginary foe. “Yes, MORE!! MORE!!! Pedros claims victory, are there any who would dare face me?!!”, he yelled into the air as he frantically waved his sword in the air. How comical he must have appeared should anyone have seen a man who was called King acting such a way. Suddenly, the sword fell from his hands, a look of horror replaced the glee that had appeared. What was he doing? Pedros leaned against his horse, out of breath, no almost exhausted from episodic reenacting of his victories, but strangely mutters “another tournament.....another tournament we must have one.” The King drags himself again on top of his horse, the effort requiring some time. Off he rides to his fortress with visions of greatness still in his head.A plot was formed, he thought for the first time of a knew way to encourage citizens to return to the land. “I have thousands and thousands of unspent regals.....a prize, yes a prize for sure for the strongest to come, for the crowds to come out of hiding, for a grand festival!”, the king grins as he approaches home. “Perhaps I shall confirm with the chickens the proposal, I need help after all, eh horse?!”
    Pedros is In his study, the king obtained his last carrier pigeon alive, sadness and worry covering his face. “Should this be my last message to what I hope to be the remains of my people abroad then I suppose this should be the most fitting,” the king thinks as he writes with heavy, thick lettering an announcement to the regalian populace:

“Glory, Wealth, and Honor at the heart of one of the most beautiful places in all the lands. The Kingdom of Steadfast invites you to attend a most noble celebration of knightly honor at the traditional Steadfast Jousting Tournament. There will be many games, markets, mazes, treasures, and events for commoners and nobles alike to participate in. However, there will be three main events consisting of jousting, dueling, and fights to the death. The winner of each will recieve a massive bounty of Steadfasts regal horde.” We expect your attendance.”

Pedros, sure his message will fall on deaf ears, sends his lasts hopes for the contact of the living with the final bit of hope he has left.

Hello All! I hope if you are reading this its because you took the time to read everything above, if not that is totally ok so ill elaborate on the event details here:
    !!!! An approved roleplay character is not required for this event however respect those who do come as such!
    Steadfast will be hosting a faction/rp event in Essalonia at our developing jousting arena and fairgrounds on May 8th or 9th. Time has not been scheduled for event start.
    2. There will be three events that consist of entertainment:
    A. A Roleplay duel tournament with in game /rolls determine combat outcomes. This will be spectated by all attendees, survival players and role players.
    B. A PVP combat tournament will take place as an event, this event will be spectated by attendees.
    C. A Jousting tournament will be open to everyone who wishes to participate. Combat will be on horseback, no armor, god weapons, two laps around the track are allowed before joust is over. Points awarded for hits or death of another player.
    3. Roleplayers who wish to use their actual characters will be included in the Steadfast Lore (under development) for attendance or participation at the event. Participation does not require death of character.
    4. Regal prizes for the winners of each category. RP Duelers will receive same rewards as those who win PVP based duels.
    5. There will be a number of markets, games, mazes, and other things to contribute to the ambiance of the event.
    6. No PVP or raids will occur during this time, RP players will can be assured there will not be an interruption of RP. Steadfast readily encourages RP regulations to be followed in their territory.
    POTENTIAL FEATURES:
    A buy in for the PVP tournament, the total cost of regals raised by the buy in will be matched by the steadfast bank. Prize winner takes all.
    2. Potential buy in for other events if the idea is liked.
    3. Lore items

Well if you've made it this far, I genuinely hope you will attend. But I would like to explain where the idea behind this event lies. As many of you know the factions world of Essalonia has seen a steep decline in active playerbase. In an attempt to partner up with Regalian roleplayer to have some fun on the factions side of the server this is what i have produced. I genuinely miss Roleplayers who spiced up the factions world environment from treacherous weddings to lively sieges, the community was important. Today, factions is no longer the lifeline of this server, however role players could be the life line for factions. I hope that by getting to know some of you, playing, role playing, and enjoying the game together we can help stimulate the growth on the server some of us fondly remember. This event is designed to be easy to get into, no characters are required, and if you choose to be in character it would be splendid for us. Please consider attending an event not held in Regalia, we can be fun too.

We we will miss you there! But I have a favor to ask, please tell me why, in this thread, you will not be coming and what I can do as a survival player to have interactions with you outside of regalia? What makes survival a turn off, can it be improved?

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
    #1 Commanderkull, Apr 20, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  2. Commanderkull

@CainsTedTalk I just saw your post after making this of a RP tournament you had. Will you be interested in sharing your results, method for RP combat, and event guideline for us in this thread who are not fond of the roll system? My event was not inspired by yours but after noticing it I realized your contribution could be valuable to this events success.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SevenBirds

SevenBirds Phantasmal and Resplendent

I'm not a PvPer and don't even really do combat roleplay much, but I would definitely be willing to come by with one of my characters if that would help! I'll be thinking of something one of them can do to provide interaction for others - maybe something with animals if I use Alasdair, or maybe Faran can do sketches of people. (Links to their sheets in my signature, if you need them.)
    Only thing is, while I'll probably be available on the 8th (depending on the time), I'm getting married on the 9th and thus will obviously not be there on that day. (x

Regardless of whether I'm able to make it or not, this seems like a cool idea and I wish you well with it! It seems like an interesting cross-over.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Commanderkull

Congratulations on your marriage! I think we can work something in with animals, let me know what kind of ideas you have! As for sketches it may be hard to accomplish day of orders.

5. SevenBirds

SevenBirds Phantasmal and Resplendent

Thank you very much!

I don't know exactly what would be good for animals, maybe a petting zoo or something? Al's done that before, if Steadfast has some animals. Or maybe a sheepdog demonstration, if I can do a bit of OOC research beforehand.

Well, what I was thinking of for sketches was like those quick portraits you see at fairs and the like - someone sits down for fifteen minutes or so and an artist roughs out a portrait or caricature. And that could probably be done by any character with Visual Arts points, not just Faran.

6. Commanderkull

I like the idea of a petting zoo for sure and i can see the portraits also working out, so really it comes down to what you would like to do! Private message me your discord and we can talk more about it via disc dm.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Commanderkull

@seoulmate did not notice your post either, but I like your combat roll explanation and usage so I will likely use the same for this event. I hope that’s ok?

8. seoulmate

seoulmate Queenbreaker

Of course, go on ahead!

9. NebulaePrimo

NebulaePrimo The Everwatcher :powerful:

Looks like fun! If I can make it, I'll be sure to come. Might be a dueler and/or roleplay service, I'll have to think about it. If you need some help planning the rp things, feel free to contact me!
    Regardless, glad to see an event catering to both rp and pvp, I wish there were more events like that!

Also, a bit of feedback: The event notice is a bit confusing. Consider putting the date either at the top or bottom under the how to sign up header and making things slightly neater and more streamlined.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. JResurrected

JResurrected Broken On the Stone

I'm interested as well. I'd like to know the date and time.

My character, Kurt A. Smit, is a longtime hunter and long bow archer from Essalonia. If there is an archery competition, Kurt would like to participate. If not, he will still attend to peruse the shops and engage in roleplay.

11. Commanderkull

Unfortunately, and rather unbecoming of myself as host, this event is either postponed or cancelled. I failed to realize I’m planning the event that this week was my finals week and as a result I’ve been unable to work on this event or build for it. I thank everyone for their initial support and those who took interest. I also did not realize I was planning so close to Mother’s Day. I’ll see what I can do now that I have a break from school. I apologize for everyone who had hopes up and I promise an better planned out idea in the future. Thanks in particular to @JResurrected @NebulaePrimo @SevenBirds for your early support I apologize to you guys in particular.

@seoulmate can you lock the thread?