Pending Review Remove Elytras

Discussion in 'Factions' started by Ridgee, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Ridgee

Ridgee P.I.

Elytra shouldn’t exist or should at most be an absolute luxury, not a necessity. We used to get by just fine back in the day before they existed and to be honest those days were much more fun. The existence of elytra removes a huge part of the adventuring aspect of massive and just makes the factions experience less fun and less of a challenge in general.

Removing elytra would also be beneficial to new players as people would be much less inclined to travel long distances to kill new players which would help the problem of new players getting killed massively. It would also encourage people to use horses more often increasing the value of that as well as emerald blocks for portals so the economy would benefit greatly.
    ============================================================================
    What the playerbase has to say:

"Elytra is objectively stupid" -morbytogan

"this whole noob ganking issue resulting in peaceful wouldnt of happened with no elytra. elytra brings alot of bad shit and its just straight up OP" - mdj

"I regret elytra ever being added to massive or minecraft tbh, it's a crutch that people can't live without it seems and it totally breaks raiding" - winterless

"Yeah elytra are p gay" - huinkoch/mayitre

"Disable Elytras outright. I used to be pro elytra but on reconsideration I think they are actually very poor additions" - kniferharm

Remove plz

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. ZiHAMMER

ZiHAMMER Violettee is a transgender

objectively nothing will change

• Constructive Constructive x 1
  3. SubscriptShark

SubscriptShark Not Registered

more opinions then i could probably sit down and write a honest and open responce, truly i utterly hate THE WAY elytra is used today but that isnt the fault of the item itself, truly its the fault of the people misusing them lol but that for later

4. Ridgee

Ridgee P.I.

It would if the server was in a better state then it is now and people actually played

5. Tiaq

Tiaq e girl extraordinaire

Take away Elytra's and I'll cry

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. ZiHAMMER

ZiHAMMER Violettee is a transgender

No one cares.

7. AgentLew

AgentLew G.D.R.

I agree with you on this portion, that being said, simply removing/disabling them is not necessary.

We're gauging whether or not remove a tool which is currently being abused by a small portion of the community, the reasons for this abuse coming to be commonplace can simply be explained by: lack of overall content. Content is in the works, so I'll avoid ranting about adding it. So what uses do Elytra offer besides ganking newbs/RPers/builders? Ease of building for one, honestly love using them for building as I don't have to create scaffolding every time I fall off a ledge. Exploration might be another, but I wouldn't mind not being able to use Elytra outside of my faction's claimed land(Maybe something that we might consider?).
    As for fixing the tool itself, return Elytra to the default of taking durability damage when in use(I believe this was agreed upon some time ago...yet hasn't been implemented). Remove the custom crafting recipe, at least for now as there are so many in circulation; should it be determined that a recipe is needed, make it expensive.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. MyCatBubbles

MyCatBubbles Massivecrafts Schizo

I think the whole 'ganking noobs' thing is a stretch as people just use raid portals lol. But for the rest of it its ight lul

9. Oblivaify

Oblivaify Blood and Fire... Premium

Removing Elytra will just bring back flywater travel and large portal networks to raid in the faction world. Nothing will significantly change, people raided all over 3+ different worlds before with little issue.

10. Ridgee

Ridgee P.I.

It is a lot more effort to travel to kill a new player on foot then by elytra thus helping the problem of new players being ganked by old players with elytras.

Very few bother making raid portals if its for noob factions and sure some may do but it is much easier to see someone sneaking up on you if they are on foot rather then if they are flying in the air.

I don't mind it being used for building however I feel it ruins the aspect of exploration a bit because you can get pretty much anywhere with ease. It would make more sense for a factions rpg to force the player to walk longer distances or maybe even get a horse instead of flying there in two seconds.

However the solution of making it have vanilla durability and more expensive may definitely help a little bit, but I still don't feel it will sufficiently neutralise the tumour that is elytra pvp.

11. AgentLew

AgentLew G.D.R.

You're right in regards to that maybe not sufficiently neutralizing the problem(We haven't implemented either yet, so we can only assume/guess to the results).
    I didn't exclusively state it, but I did briefly mention the concept of only being able to fly within your claimed land. Feel like this resolves the use of Elytra enough that ganking is solved, but using them for building is still viable. Personally don't care about using them for travel, I'd much rather have various mounts for filling that void.

#11 AgentLew, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  12. ANT1D0T3

ANT1D0T3 machine gun

no

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ridgee

Ridgee P.I.

Thank you for such a detailed and constructive opinion

14. ANT1D0T3

ANT1D0T3 machine gun

yw

• Useful Useful x 2
  15. SirePyro

SirePyro The Definition of Insanity

Hell no.

We've already been down this road, even. Elytra are valuable tools for exploration, transport, and building. There is no real benefit I can see to removing them once again except to continue an alarming trend of dicking over the builder/survivalist community. Let's not go there, huh? Making elytra more expensive to craft is something I'm fine with, encourage even, perhaps simply enabling durability for them, but removal is a terrible idea. It would literally be steps backward for the server, and the very notion is simply shameful.

16. Knyxo

Knyxo Big Guy

Assuming they don't get removed, can we at least get a durability bar on them like in vanilla minecraft? That, and a more expensive recipe? Then at least it will be treated like more of a luxury and less of an easy mode tool that people whip out and abuse for like everything, since there's no reason not to use them constantly as it is now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SirePyro

SirePyro The Definition of Insanity

This I can get on board with. If I recall right, they require a couple feathers and4-5 diamonds, which is unacceptable. Such a valuable utility must require more than an hour or two in game to acquire. Though I'm not sure whether durability would make that much of a difference, seeing as repair mcmmo is a thing, and even if it was one dia block per anvil use, it would be pretty cheap to repair them.

• Like Like x 1