Points Of Interest/ Capturable Locations

Discussion in 'Events' started by MorgothTheDark, Mar 23, 2018.

?

Is this a good idea?

1. Yes, I like this idea.

76.9%
  2. No this a bad idea.

23.1%
  1. MorgothTheDark

MorgothTheDark Melkor

Hello all, I am here to make a suggestion seeing as the factions worlds are being modified/renovated.

Essentially this idea is to implement structures in the factions worlds that function similar to KOTH, albeit with some slight differences.

Factions, or individuals (if lucky enough), could capture these locations for resources/lore/magic items, CoK points, faction modifiers, etc

So, I suppose I can give some examples to show what I'm talking about:
    (This will be rudimentary, and if the idea gains any adherence, I will flesh it out.)

Here's a list of structures that would be built in the survival worlds (and protected from grief) and the bonuses they could offer on being captured, hypothetically:

Keep - CoK points

Temple - Magic items/spells/Enchants/ XP

Coal Mine - Coal/ Coal blocks

Iron Mine - Iron Ingots/ Blocks

Diamond Mine - Diamond Ingots/ Blocks

Dungeon - Items/Drops

Village - Bread/Leather/Wool

etc, etc, etc

The actual capturing mechanism could be like KOTH's current system, or could be one to where multiple people capturing one point is needed (for faction captures, such as keeps)

Or even multiple points at one location could have to be captured to claim the location.

I feel like this would encourage even more PvP in the factions worlds, and would provide even more opportunity for competition, politics, and activity.

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. grizenator

grizenator Refugee

But you'll log off and an hour later someone else has captured it

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MorgothTheDark

MorgothTheDark Melkor

We could implement things to stop that, such as a delay before another faction can capture it.

So that the capturing faction will at least get the bonus of the structure one time before it can be captured again by someone else. The faction could them defend it, or lose it.

4. Tom3409

Tom3409

Like this idea ALOT! Some changes could be made but overall its a great idea.

5. Ninja124r

Ninja124r brainlag

this is good

6. Winterless

Winterless The MVP of Romance RP

Nope, you literally only want this implemented so that you can farm it for free loot like you did with the old Koth system

Piss
    Off

The only situation where I'd agree with this being implemented is if item drops were enabled

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MorgothTheDark

MorgothTheDark Melkor

Uh actually, Mr. Pissy, I don't just want this for the loot.

I probably wouldn't win many of these unless I recruited, the idea for most of these is that factions control them.

Don't get me wrong, I want to participate in this if it ever gets implemented, but I'd love to see hotbeds of PvP in factions with meaningful consequences because I think it would enrich gameplay, not because I personally want to farm them.

I was thinking item drops would be enabled. Maybe some could have it disabled to encourage more PvP, but either way I don't really care.

If it's competitive between factions drops should probably be enabled, but staff may have a different opinion considering if drops aren't enabled you can fight longer.

8. Winterless

1. [X] Doubt
    2. Your entire response confirms my suspicion, considering your reply continually refers to disabling item drops, that thing that lets you be an annoying prick for 3 hours at KOTH

9. MorgothTheDark

MorgothTheDark Melkor

Doubt all you want, and it actually confirms nothing considering that's not my intent at all.

You really just appear to go on threads and be a nuisance while offering nothing constructive. Hell, you can't even argue a point effectively.

You literally just said that I confirmed your suspicions by referring several times to item drops, which I did, however I specifically said that I didn't care if they were enabled, and that for faction capturables they probably should be enabled from the start.

I also said I probably wouldn't win many of these, and I probably wouldn't unless I was on during the dead hours or I recruited for my faction.

Your point literally makes no sense considering what I said implies the opposite of what you are claiming. You're just pissy because I've tried to win KOTHs while you were trying to win them.

That is completely irrelevant to this topic, and it was also irrelevant in the other thread you said something about it to me on. Quit being childish. This is a game, KOTH is a game within a game, and none of this ultimately matters. So why not relax? You win some, you lose some.

I don't care if item drops are enabled. I even said that they SHOULD be on. READ.

Can you do that effectively?

And actually, what lets me be an "annoying prick" is the fact that you can't coordinate well enough with your team members to effectively stop me from getting to the capture point.

#9 MorgothTheDark, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  10. Winterless

"You really just appear to go on threads and be a nuisance while offering nothing constructive. Hell, you can't even argue a point effectively."
    {Citation Needed}

Funny that you say I can't argue a point effectively when you're the same dude that rages out when you lose a 1v1 and think that using a bow requires more skill than melee

"I also said I probably wouldn't win many of these, and I probably wouldn't unless I was on during the dead hours or I recruited for my faction."
    Irrelevant

"Your point literally makes no sense considering what I said implies the opposite of what you are claiming. You're just pissy because I've tried to win KOTHs while you were trying to win them."
    Which part implies the opposite, exactly? I don't believe at all that you want item drops enabled, considering that you immediately talk about it maaaaaaybe being disabled. My only interaction with you on Massive has been of you taking pleasure in being annoying at KOTH and sweating like mad over it

It'd be no surprise to me at all if you did the same thing for this feature if item drops were disabled, which is what you want.

"That is completely irrelevant to this topic, and it was also irrelevant in the other thread you said something about it to me on. Quit being childish. This is a game, KOTH is a game within a game, and none of this ultimately matters. So why not relax? You win some, you lose some."
    I'm the one getting told to relax? That's rich

Again, refer to my original post. If anything like this gets added with item drops disabled it'll be the same cancer that KOTH is now, either way I'm done posting cause you're toxic af and try your hardest to abuse an already broken system with your boomsticks and condescending attitude

11. MorgothTheDark

MorgothTheDark Melkor

1. It's not irrelevant to mention that when you are claiming the entire reason I want this system is to abuse it. In fact, it seems pretty relevant to mention.

2. I can't help you've never interacted with me in any other way. Besides that's healthy enough an interaction. You should expect competition.

3. Ieso is cursing me out in that video, and did excessively that day despite me being for the large part unemotionally responsive. So I really don't see what your point is. You people get all emotional and project it onto me, but what you don't understand is that I am for the large part unmoved, sitting on the other side of that screen with a calm disposition and and a virtual indifference to to what happens in this game. In fact, sometimes you boys make me smile with the combativeness you express, it's humorous.

I have my moments where my grip slips, but that was not one.

In fact I remember that day clearly, and was rather astounded by the verbal abuse he tried to lay into me. . At varying points I rather found it comical. Astonishingly, the opinions and insults of emotionally immature people on the internet don't sink in my skin. Wowza! It's almost like I can delineate the borders of the game and real life, like some kind of competent human being, woah no!

4. KOTH isn't cancer. It could perhaps run less often, but I don't find it cancerous and I don't think many other PvPers do. I could be wrong.

5. Boomsticks aren't even the problem. The problem is you can't win a KOTH with multiple people against a singular one, but the problem is not the boomstick, the problem is you alllowing someone with the boomstick to get close enough to use it. Especially in scenarios where it's multiple people against one. That's just pure tactical ineptitude.

#11 MorgothTheDark, Mar 24, 2018
  12. Winterless

"Ieso is cursing me out in that video, and did excessively that day despite me being for the large part unemotionally responsive. So I really don't see what your point is. You people get all emotional and project it onto me, but what you don't understand is that I am for the large part unmoved, sitting on the other side of that screen with a calm disposition and and a virtual indifference to to what happens in this game. In fact, sometimes you boys make me smile with the combativeness you express, it's humorous. I have my moments where my grip slips, but that was not one."
    Considering Ieso hardly ever flames, I'm gonna need a citation on that
    You like to act like your unemotional, but the fact that you sweat so hard over KOTH proves otherwise mate

"KOTH isn't cancer. It could perhaps run less often, but I don't find it cancerous and I don't think many other PvPers do. I could be wrong."
    That's just objectively false but ok

"Boomsticks aren't even the problem. The problem is you can't win a KOTH with multiple people against a singular one, but the problem is not the boomstick, the problem is you alllowing someone with the boomstick to get close enough to use it. Especially in scenarios where it's multiple people against one. That's just pure tactical ineptitude."

Nope, it has nothing to do with inability or "tactical ineptitude." There is literally nothing you can do against someone who pearls from the spawn point directly onto the KOTH zone (Which is illegal, as is you bowspamming from said spawn point) to knock off the capper, especially if it takes 10 hits to kill them in armor with strength 2 (which it does). You already know this, which is why you put on armor in the last minute to knock the cap

13. MorgothTheDark

MorgothTheDark Melkor

1. It's in the video. You can see him in the chat box. It at least shows a few of the things he said, and at least reinforces the tone of what was further said. It extended beyond what is shown in the video, in duration and content.

It doesn't. I can be unemotional and still advance on a goal. You cannot equate aptitude to my emotional state. Once again, you are projecting. I like PvP and I play KOTHs for fun, and even when it looks grim for me, half the time I don't even continue trying to win. I shift my goal into being as annoying as possible for whoever is going to win.

I can lose happily.

2. It's not cancer.

https://forums.massivecraft.com/threads/too-much-koth.52843/

These people perhaps may want it ran less, but the general consensus is that it is a fun event. I see no proof for an objective view of KOTH being "cancerous". Perhaps that's just your subjective view.

3. You can always try harder. I'm not going to tell you what to do, because then you will start doing it.

#13 MorgothTheDark, Mar 24, 2018
  14. Winterless

1. One instance of him flaming you does not equate to him harassing you. Given how deliberately annoying you are ingame, I'm not entirely surprised either.

"It doesn't. I can be unemotional and still advance on a goal. You cannot equate aptitude to my emotional state. Once again, you are projecting. I like PvP and I play KOTHs for fun, and even when it looks grim for me, half the time I don't even continue trying to win. I shift my goal into being as annoying as possible for whoever is going to win."
    1. I absolutely can. Given how you get exponentially more annoying and sweaty when you get called out for being annoying and sweaty, I think it's a fair assumption
    2. So you admit to being deliberately annoying? Who's the one being a nuisance now?

4. Yes, citing a post from a month ago totally discredits my point when literally everyone I've talked to, including staff members, think that KOTH needs to be changed. It's also likely that that post was referring to ACTUAL PvP over the KOTH, not being annoying and using a bow/boomstick

15. MorgothTheDark

MorgothTheDark Melkor

I do that because then you give me reinforcement it's working. Not to mention I'm largely silent when I play, sadly, I can't say the same for others. I've actually sat back and largely ignored a lot of salt that's come my way.

You can be a nuisance in PvP. If you want to capture something that someone else wants, and not both can capture it, then by logic you're probably going to be a bit adversarial to the other party.

The argument that bows aren't a legitimate PvP mechanic is ridiculous. The boom sticks I could understand being upset about, even though I don't think they should be removed (and I've had them used on me PLENTY).

16. Winterless

"You can be a nuisance in PvP. If you want to capture something that someone else wants, and not both can capture it, then by logic you're probably going to be a bit adversarial to the other party."
    Difference is, I'd actually fight them normally and not be a coward with a boomstick

"The argument that bows aren't a legitimate PvP mechanic is ridiculous. The boom sticks I could understand being upset about, even though I don't think they should be removed (and I've had them used on me PLENTY)."
    Never said that bows weren't a legitimate PvP mechanic, but using them like you do is pure cowardice, especially since they are actually broken in KOTH.

17. Viscar

Viscar Nekoii's Actual BFF

Almost everything you've said here is irrlevant, get over yourself. Instead if just trying to attack Melkor cause you're a really cool dude maybe say more about the actual topic of this thread than this:
    Other people have clearly shown support for this idea so why don't you stop being such an ass about it.

Also neat idea

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    #17 Viscar, Mar 24, 2018
  18. Winterless

Lmao

No amount of condescension is gonna change the fact that this dude is only suggesting this to abuse it

You want me to talk about the thread? aight here goes

1. This will never be implemented because it causes too much lag
    2. This will never be implemented because it takes the focus of PvP away from Faction raids, which is already a problem on Massive
    3. Where would you put these cap points? There's already going to be VERY little space after world deletion.
    4. Simply adding more opportunities for PvP will not increase PvP on this server. That's like putting more flyers up for a football team in the physics lab or the art class; literally no point cause people already have their mind made up about PvP.
    5. KOTH as a concept relies on good rewards. Bread and coal do not count as good item rewards.
    6. How would people get there? What's to stop people x-raying the portals to get to each point and break them, basically guaranteeing a win considering how long it takes to travel faction worlds? Would there be a public portal? How would you stop people camping the portal? How would you prevent people using it as fast travel when the event wasn't running? How would you notify people the event was even up? Not everyone uses Event chat.

And to think you're becoming a staff
    absolute pisstake

• Constructive Constructive x 1
  19. MorgothTheDark

MorgothTheDark Melkor

1. I really don't see how this would cause noticeable lag.

2. I don't think taking away from raids is good, but I don't think that's what this will do. The idea isn't that you do one or the other, but rather both.

3. You put the cap points in the worlds that are going to remain/in the new world being made (if there is one). It's just like any other structure in the factions world essentially.

4. Actually, it's not like that at all. It's more akin to putting up the flier in a class where a good majority find the flier relevant and a few find the event the flier is advertising irrelevant because they have no interest.

5. Bread and coal were just examples. Examples that can be changed. Plus that's just one reward set.

6. I never thought about that. I suppose you could make a public portal to each, or a tp, but I was imagining that factions would have to walk to them. If they became capturable at a certain time, then you could notify players with a broadcast, or you could rely on vested players to see the time schedule , like at koth, and be prepared for the caps if they are interested.

Certain factions would then have a predispotion to capture certain points based on proximity to them of course, but they couldn't do that with all points if done correctly, and I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing.

20. Winterless

1. Already been confirmed a year ago by head staff that it would cause too much lag.
    2.It definitely will. KOTH did, and there's no reason to assume that this won't too.
    3. This doesn't address the overcrowding problem
    4. It absolutely is. Your response assumes that people are naturally interested in PvP, which is absolutely not the case. You'd know that if you did any pvp other than KOTH
    5. Fair enough, but it still doesn't address the underlying problem. Adding more items to the economy when it's just started to recover ain't a good idea.
    6. Making people walk to it is an issue. The only solution to that question is to make sure that EVERY faction knows when and where it is going to occur, and even then once someone dies they're basically screwed

21. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

I like the concept, but how frequent awards are given needs some tweaking, as the last thing anyone would want is free diamonds and crap for simply having a few buddies to keep the point capped.

If it was possible, it could be interesting to have KOTH run in survival worlds, and then at certain times a base would be available to claim. But I don't remember if there was a compatibility issue or not.

I like the idea personally, but just want to have it be a fun way to get some loot instead of just an item generator.

22. MorgothTheDark

MorgothTheDark Melkor

1. Show me where. This server has multiple worlds and plugins, and having developed and ran a server myself on much less powerful hardware, I'm almost certain the implementation of this feature would result in little to no lag. I'm highly confident on this. This server currently supports much more resource demanding features that are being removed (the worlds) than this would ever even come close to using unless the KOTH plugin is horribly inefficient.

2. I don't think this so. Show me where your proof of this claim is, because it's not like you schedule your raids in opposing times to KOTH, and it's not like you're going to cancel an in progress raid for a KOTH, and if you do that's a conscious decision you made. I see little overlap or reason that this or KOTH would cause any real impact on PvP in factions for the negative.

3. That's more of a subjective problem. Not everyone thinks the worlds are crowded, and some would argue that even if they are that's good, it encourages interaction. I personally do think the worlds will be a bit crowded when all is said and done, but I don't really consider this a valid point.

4. It's not. I feel that if this was implemented that a good portion of the factions players would interact with it. Not everyone is interested in PvP, but they certainly are. I do PvP in the factions worlds by the way, you're just not aware of it, and just because I don't PvP with you or the player group you play with doesn't mean my actions are any less merited. The ego. uuuughh. Sounds to me like YOU have YOUR mind made up about PvP, and you really don't have much authenticity when it comes to speaking for other minds.

5. You're going to talk about how coal and bread are bad items because they are "worthless", and then say we can't do virtually any items because that's not good for the economy. That's grasping at straws, which I'm seeing a lot of. Item rewards could be balanced so as to not negatively effect the economy.

6. I'm not even certain that's the case. Not every single person goes to KOTH, and those who don't particpate are not punished. Same thing here. The only way I could see having to notify everyone in a perfectly fair way is if it rewards something like CoK points.

Otherwise, these are largely optional events. There's no punishment if you don't participate, other than you miss out on some PvP and rewards.

#22 MorgothTheDark, Mar 24, 2018
  23. MorgothTheDark

MorgothTheDark Melkor

Captures could be limited or on a cool down, and to be honest that's what KOTH essentially is at the moment. Either an individual caps or a group does. PvP ensues, items ensue. I don't think the system is too flawed, you could argue KOTH should run less though.

I mean the claiming part doesn't even have to be a feature, but I thought it'd be interesting to see factions have to take and hold certain locations.

I assure you that's what I'm suggesting and trying to iron out, a fun way to get some loot, not just an item generator.

24. Tom3409

Tom3409

25. Winterless

1. Ask literally any staff or ex-staff member about it, here I'll even tag them for you. What you fail to understand is that KOTH is hosted on its own server, hence why there is little lag. Implement it on factions...
    @Sephite @Tokuu @Kaezir
    2. Yep, that's what we thought about KOTH, but then when we tried to raid everyone would say "wait for KOTH" or "Fight at KOTH." This whole concept revolves around areas that act as PvP hubs, by definition sidelining Factions PvP. Granted, this sentiment has reduced, but then again, so has PvP in general on Massive. I've never seen PvP this low where you can announce a raid to 5 factions in 10 minutes and have LITERALLY zero people show up to defend. If you tried that 4 years ago, the entirety of Grimsbane would show up to kill you.
    3. Little available land for factions to claim is not a subjective problem. What a way to ensure people dislike PvP, removing areas for them to build by introducing a bunch of capture points around the map.
    4. Not once have I ever heard or seen you raid anyone on the server. Literally never in all of my time playing have I ever seen you in factions actually, unless you count ONE time where you turned up to defend and died in 20 seconds. If by "PvP", you mean killing noobs in Asteria sure, but I've never heard or seen you fight an actual PvP faction like Wyvern or Belegost or anyone for that matter, nor have I seen you participate in a tourney. And yes, my opinions on PvP are ABSOLUTELY more qualified than yours. I have PvPed from the second I joined this server. I've been in just about every major PvP faction that's existed for the last 3 years. I've seen it all and done it all. And I know when I see a suggestion that will hurt PvP, like this one right now.
    5. "Item rewards could be balanced so as to not negatively effect the economy."
    How would you do that? Minerals are worthless, adding any god armour to the economy will screw it up even more, which leaves... what? Bookshelves? Apples? The only conceivable thing I can think of is lore items, but lore items cease to have any value if a lot of them exist, which removes it as a possibility for a repetitive drop from this event. CoK tokens? Even then, not every fac is involved in CoK, and of the facs that are involved, only about 3 of them have any actual PvPers at all.
    6. "I'm not even certain that's the case. Not every single person goes to KOTH, and those who don't particpate are not punished."
    What's the point of adding a system like KOTH if, as you stated, people don't go there? The whole concept of a rewards system only works if you have to WORK for it, which wouldn't happen if you didn't have a substantial PvP element there.

26. MorgothTheDark

MorgothTheDark Melkor

• Informative Informative x 1
  27. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

It is. The original plan for koth was for it to be in the survival worlds, to the point where there were some koths built in the worlds, but it was ultimately scrapped because it caused way too much lag. Also gives the flickering name tag issue, unless that's been fixed (haven't played koth in a while because it's a waste of time so can't remember if it was fixed). So the only real way it's going to be implemented is if we manage to get our own plugin coded by cay or ulu, which won't happen due to tech understaffing.

That's not to say I'm against the idea, just not practical with massive's current plugin.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  28. aprader1

aprader1 Insert amazing title here

So it’s really hard to figure out what his suggestion actually is but my best guess is captureable points in the factions world. If that’s correct it feels a lot like pokestops from Pokémon go. (Just go with it). It may be worth instead of awarding items on a set schedule either hourly etc the total time it was held by percent of each faction. So if faction A has it for 1 hour and faction B has it for 2 hours. Then faction A has a capture percent of 33%. At the end of (insert time frame here) the percents will be weighed for first place, second, etc and rewards will be given accordingly. Maybe this is weekly, maybe it’s monthly. This prevents capturing just once or so and instead is an ongoing KOTH fight. Thoughts?

29. Boogjangels

Boogjangels Is beans the problem, Doctor?

Looks like I'm a bit late to this, but if these capture points purely existed to doll out CoK tokens, I see no problem with them. Could even be really fun and add a layer of military strategy to CoK, which in my honest opinion it desperatly needs.

30. MokeDuck

MokeDuck Hail the duckfather!

I love it! however, I do recommend having a randomness factor involved... for instance these points appearing randomly in the world via structure blocks. I dunno how structure blocks are handled on servers but I'm reasonably sure it can be done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  31. Kaezir

Kaezir Lunatic

Winter is for the most point from what i understand correct. Back when I was staff we held a giant, I mean GIANT, public AMA. So this is public knowledge to many people who werent even staff. Koth in factions was proposed and immediately shut down as a suggestion. Lag was considered to be a huge risk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  32. Sir_Daragon

Sir_Daragon Your Local Staff Member Game2

what you are talking about it bedwars, but without the bed...jsut capture points where people camp and kill to crash the economy