Under Review Mcmmo Unarmed Changes

Discussion in 'Feature & Idea Discussion - Archive' started by falconhand, Feb 9, 2017.

?

Yes or no.

1. Yes, lower the level threshold

16 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No, leave it where it is

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. falconhand

falconhand Aieralynian Kingdom

Hello, Nikephorus and I were discussing the benefits and disadvantages of dropping the iron grip threshold from 600 levels, to 200-350 since unarmed takes so long to level up. This should be a simple code, and still requires some work to achieve. Thoughts? This is one of the things that makes it near impossible for new players to PvP, since they are instantly disarmed.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Typhenon

Typhenon Professional Potion Bouncer

Do people even try and disarm people anymore?
    I've gotten by fine without having max unarmed

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Edrom

Edrom

No, because most people have 600 unarmed already.
    But if a whole new group of players comes and fights me, and has no unarmed... I'd be tempted to just disarm them and ruin the fight for them.
    We should have people give up unarmed (because of iron grip) way sooner, getting 600 unarmed is damn tedious.

4. falconhand

In my limited PvP experience, this is the major issue. I have tried to raid people/defend, and unarmed is the kicker. Axe and sword damage still matters, but disarming still runs rampant.

5. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

Tbh it should just be disabled entirely or reverted to where you can't pick the weapons up. But yeah, this could actually be changed with a command ingame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. falconhand

Mainly, this is about encouraging new pvpers and lowering the barrier of entry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. EternallyDarkX

EternallyDarkX The Estranged Queen of Ended

I mean, im on half half with this issue. Like, when i raid, ive been both disarmed and i have disarmed people, it is pretty tedious to level it up, and so i see where Falcons coming from with this. It is a bit too hard to level and such. axes go up like a snap for me, and i never use swords, but when i do use unarmed, it goes by so slowly, that its almost frustrating and i wind up switching back to my axe. my axes are at 1380 something, compared to my 150 unarmed which is insane to level. It could stay or go, though, in my opinion. It'd be useful for new pvprs, and less stress for sure.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Edrom

Edrom

Two options:
    -Make iron grip chance 100% at a lower unarmed level

-Make unarmed go up faster

9. TMI_Lord_Khan

TMI_Lord_Khan Authoritarian Overseer

Personally, I feel like mcmmo itself is the problem for new pvpers. The people who grind day in and day out will obviously have at least some advantage, but many new pvpers don't want to take that time. I just feel like mcmmo should be nerfed generally. Iron Grip should be 2k, so only the most insane people can reach it.

10. falconhand

Why would you want to increase the threshold? That will just make it a ton harder for people to survive in PvP without getting their weapon stolen?

11. Viscar

Viscar Nekoii's Actual BFF

Hey remember when @B0W disarmed you that one time cause you're bad at the game

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. B0W

B0W ree roo

dont tag me in a thread again >:^(
    that was just retarded, i attacked him and he had thorns so he disarmed me and then he took out his weapon and i accodently disarmed him like wtf i hate wyvern now??

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brycea111

Brycea111 Mithrilian Navy and Knight Of Mithril

I have every stat at or above 1000 and unarmed was never a problem, just have an inventory of strength 2 pots and run around a dark room punching stuff. Yeah I get it, it's tedious and frustrating, but I don't see any point in lowering the level needed to have 100% because people are lazy. Now don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less what happened with unarmed as I don't PvP much anymore and last I knew it was a skill most people don't even is anymore, but at the same time. You know what was a hard skill to level to 1000? Taming. Sorry if that's a little off topic, just my two cents.

14. Edrom

Edrom

Are people lazy or just not insane enough? You decide

15. Brycea111

Well. I'm pretty sure, albeit this is a bit insane. If you just used like strength extended and sat in a decent darkroom for like 8 hours. You'd be set. But that's the difference between someone who spends all day grinding and someone who doesn't. The person who grinds gets the reward while the person who doesn't... doesn't.

16. Edrom

Edrom

Let's ditch boring grinding for hours to get a very high skill, and lets promote spending time becoming good at actual pvp

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jquaile

jquaile Refugee

Just saying I imagine you did this a long time ago bryce, it's actually far harder to grind stats now as I've got low stat alts and I notice it's way slower grinding them up than when I originally did it on my main.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Visarovich

Visarovich General Secretary of the U.S.S.R.

Unlocking the iron grip ability at 600 unarmed only leads to (some) people grinding 600 levels of unarmed which is hard af with the weaker massivemobs. It doesnt actually lead to the main problem which is the amount of pvp on the server. So like, gtfo with unarmed tbh

19. Brycea111

Ooooh, really, shit I didn't know, but good to know none the less, figured it was the same!

20. Brycea111

You're making it out that there is a huge barrier because of Unarmed, when the skill is almost never used.

21. falconhand

@Brycea111 I have been getting into PvP a little, and disarming has been the biggest issue. Axe and sword damage is progressive, but there always is a minimum value that you do, so its just an advantage, not a yes/no on whether you win a fight.

22. jquaile

jquaile Refugee

Yeah also I find unarmed isn't used in fights against pvpers with stats, but again on my alts I find as soon as you start beating someone in a fight with swords or axes they'll switch to unarmed if you don't have 600. Saw it happen a ton of times at byzantium particularly popular for members of Tyberia.

23. Knyxo

Knyxo Big Guy

Disarm shouldn't even be a thing. The only people that utilize it are trolls or people that want to try and get a weapon without risking one of their own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

Does disarm affect the offhand item?

I ask because chances are if I lost my sword or axe I'd just shoot the guy until I die or get bored.

I've always viewed unarmed as a gimmick, and wouldn't be upset to see it go.

25. Viscar

Viscar Nekoii's Actual BFF

26. BenRekt

BenRekt Chopper Gunner

Lower the threshold to 0

• Winner Winner x 1
  27. falconhand

My motivation for saying 200, is that still requires some grinding, but nowhere near how much it is now.

28. Edrom

Edrom

That's from a perspective where everyone has grinded 600 unarmed already, so there is no point in using unarmed. There should be some commitment to grind before going into pvp, but so much is just absurd.

But imagine a group of friends that just joined, starting their own faction, wanting to pvp. With swords and axes grinding is fine, but needing to grind 600 unarmed is just stupid. Not because it's a high number but because it takes such a stupidly long time to get it, time that should be spent experiencing the server pvp. No one wants to grind so much, it just makes new people lose interest. Of course no one uses unarmed because everyone already has 600 unarmed, but if a new faction comes into play, they can be disarmed because they haven't had the time or interest to grind 600 unarmed. Why can't this be evened out sooner?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  29. EternallyDarkX

EternallyDarkX The Estranged Queen of Ended

But seriously though, let's take a moment to also remember that Massivecraft is a part of Minecraft, thus, a game, meant for enjoyment. Not everyone has the opportunity for being on 8 hours a day grinding on stats. Most of us have a life surprisingly. Minecraft should never be a chore, or a work type deal. It's meant for fun, and I can say now it's really not fun to have to sit and grind and grind and grind.

I don't know a proper solution for it, but maybe if unarmed could to up faster that'd be great.

That way new pvprs don't have to do what Brycea did and grind for hours and lose interest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. falconhand

@Omnomivore Would this be feasible? It would be nice to see your input on this idea.

31. Jackmo_Jones

Jackmo_Jones He's the Ripper, Jack the Ripper.

I hate you.

You make me cry

:P

• Funny Funny x 1
  32. Jackmo_Jones

Not true, I always used it as a support role for Niften. I'd run in and disarm the enemy then Niften would swoop in a Serrated Strikes them to death. It worked quite effectively. Plus back in the day with Premium and faction land buff it was a good strat for using tank traits to trap a few enemies in a box then just continuously disarm them and keep laying into them 'til they were all dead. It was fun, and challenging and often times way more effective then using a weapon since your enemy drops their pots, food, and weapon so you leave them pretty much defenseless.

*sigh* I miss the old days.

33. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

Yeah, but back when niften was around and atheria was still a thing, you couldn't actually pick up disarmed items. Since you can now, it's not really a support role as was intended, but is a viable option against anyone with less than 600 unarmed.

34. Jackmo_Jones

Then I suggest we return Unarmed back to how it was in 2014... where no matter how high your Unarmed is you're still gonna drop your weapon to folks like me. And they should lighten up on things like burning it once it drops since that would massively help the economy by getting rid of those bulk axes/swords. Probably should lower the grip chance though since you no longer have tank traits to keep you alive.

35. ThatGuyOnMyBlock

ThatGuyOnMyBlock Rainbow Caster

Just want to throw this out here:

The only people who want to keep iron grip cap at 600 have ground up their unarmed skill way back before they nerfed Massivemobs and when unarmed could do 10 damage + being able to disarm you opponent because they want to be able to use disarm on people that were not around/don't have time to grind. I remember when you could sit in a darkroom find a yellow/green name tag mob and get like 20-40 hits on the before killing them and getting like 10-25 levels for unarmed. So I believe that by making it a lot easier to level up unarmed will make it like it used to be on massive where it took just as long as all the other melee skills to level it up to 1k/600

36. Omnomivore

Omnomivore ⛓ Nom Nom ⛓ Premium

Noted as a feature suggestion. I won't be in support of reverting to the "people unable to pick up disarmed weapons" feature though due to issues that cropped up with people burning dropped weapons, burying them, catching them in hoppers, etc and getting punished rather severely - it was detrimental.