Commune Seizes Control In Nottingham!

Discussion in 'Progression Events' started by MonMarty, Dec 17, 2014.

1. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

Following the return of the Red family to Nottingham in these dire times, the white faction within the Red realm was overjoyed at their presence. The mayors and barons came out in droves to greet their lords back, and quickly and efficiently went on their way to spread the word of their Lord. At first, the measures were effective. The strongly Unionist population of Nottingham accepted the harsh measures the Mountain Chain people had previously not accepted. Cracks in the “solution” started to show after a few days however, as the measures were less thought through than they seemed.

The increased military police inside the Duchy did help initially, but eventually exasperated the feeling the blue faction had that their lords were favoring the refugees above their own people. Additionally, instead of allowing minor expressions of discontent, the guards snubbed out any attempt for venting, which resulted in a lot of pent up anger. Especially the public burning threat of criminals who refused the labor camp hit hard, a punishment normally only reserved for heretics and demon worshippers would be applied to the people. Dozens of people were convicted to the labor camps in rapid succession, the locals using the now empty houses to facilitate the soup kitchens for the needy.

This fragile situation collapsed when a middle aged woman was burned on the pyre communally for stabbing a guard and refusing the labor camp after they tried to forcibly remove her from her house. The woman Agathe named, lived in a large Nottingham manor, an old mayoral family that had fallen on hard times. Her sons and husband were already sentenced to labor camp for smaller crimes such as stealing and vandalism. Finally the guards came to remove her from her house so the house could be repurposed as a soup kitchen for the needy. The city officials did not at any time plan where the new soup kitchens would come from, as Nottingham was built full, and there was no time to build entirely new buildings. The city officials had resorted to evicting people from their houses to clear space for refugees.

Agathe was burned on the pyre in a violent but silent rainy day. The bureaucrat made the necessary announcements, simply stared at silently by the crowd until the screaming of Agathe broke the silence as the fire consumed her, hot and high enough even to defy the rain. As the event passed, the discontent at the family for putting the interests of the refugees above their own boiled up and spilled over when the guards tossed the woman’s charred remains into the river. Clashes between guards and blue faction members broke out all over the city of Nottingham, starting in the baker’s district where the bakers assailed the guards with rolling pins and oven shovels. Women ran around the streets announcing the riots, and other craftsmen quickly joined them with hammer, stave and pans in hand.

The rioting quickly consumed the capital, the Red militia was unable to hold back the mass of people rioting as the majority of the professional soldiers were dedicated to the Qadir front. The city officials were taken in custody and imprisoned inside the Trieg Dome, the Cathedral repurposed by the people to create impromptu “judgement trials” against officials who had wronged the people of Nottingham. The riots eventually calmed down and created a peculiar situation in the capital where the Reds were no longer in charge, but weren’t specifically suffering a rebellion either. The Blue faction continued paying taxes to the Red estate, left the Red properties alone and otherwise respected the Red family members. They however imprisoned the Barons and Mayors and guardsmen, establishing their own neighborhood watches. The foreigners were killed or expelled from the capital, quickly pressing against the already overburdened holds of the Red lands. This resulted in a huge flux of refugees fleeing south, into the Paschen and Du Sablon lands. These lands barely populated quickly saw the rise of forest camps where the refugees attempted to live off the land, or steal from the locals where necessary.

In short, the Red family lost effective governance over their capital. Meanwhile in the Sictor lands, the recent disappearance of the family ruling the place left the people in confusion. The sudden arrival of the Red heir complicated things, as the people still had not calmed down from the last time they expressed discontent at being ruled by the foreigners across the sea. After the Red heir left, the Crown Prince’s heralds announced an Imperial shuffle of titles. Count Viduggla of the Northern Duchy was sent to Nordskag, to become Marquis of a local county instead. His land was granted to the Count Black instead, to structurize the entire island under one ruler. The Sictor lands meanwhile were to be revoked from any vassalage and put directly under the state. Chancellor Typhonus was to manage the lands until the Qadir invasion was over and a new suitable family could be assigned to the lands.

Finally, worry started plaguing the other counties in Dragenthal. Locals from the Paschen, Du Sablon, Fuchs, Morwinn, Duchamp and van Dirkse wondered whether their rulers had secretly sworn fealty to the Reds like the Sictors had.

@SacredTrout @Luthien @Feyona @Terence29 @Green_Hood @Ben_2025 @SexyRose_

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Immersive Immersive x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. LadyRose_

LadyRose_ Ithanian Princess

[​IMG]
    As the news broke in the Bistair Bastian the House Red ordered that the Red Overseers were all to gather inside the grand foyer of the castle and a procession of carriages were to be readied. As the Overseers collectively made their way to the foyer in their rather eerie masks silence fell upon the room until the large doors that opened out into the outside and the first trumpets sounded. The Red family slowly made their way down the grand-esque staircase and got into their respective carriage. As the trumpets stopped the players quickly got into other less decorated carriages and prepared for the next time they would be playing outside the Trieg Dome. The family slowly made their way off the estate grounds and into the capital city of Notting until they stopped outside the grand cathedral and made their way outside the carriages.

[​IMG]

[Same song as before]
    As the doors of the carriages all opened in a synchronized fashion the trumpets sounded and the Reds walked up the polished marble stairs of the Treig Dome and offered a small nod of their head to the crowd. As the Alistair began preparation for the speech, Yvette made her way inside to speak with the Reverend who was currently housed within its walls. Noticing the rather makeshift prison cells she offered the imprisoned nobility a few kind words before moving off to find the reverend. As she stood before him she offered a humble bow and began small talk and asked him a few questions with what had been happening during all this. During this she did not fear for her life as the people of nottingham were generally quite civilized in their means. Not only that, but seeing as the current 'government' within Nottingham were still respecting the House Red and it's assets she didn't truly think it was her and her husband they were blaming, but rather the local nobility.As she finished walking around the Trieg Dome Yvette recollected herself and stood next to her husband, awaiting what he had to say.
    -*-
    As Alistair made a small *Ahem* to collect his voice he began speaking in a very loud manner, the crowd presumably hushed from its murmurings to hear what he had to say upon the matter.

"People of Nottingham, nay, denizens of this most glorious of cities. Each one of you are of the greatest concern to my family, myself at the forefront of such concern. The times that have befallen us all through the Qadir invasion had brought a great many stresses upon the lands of the archipeligo, however it is you, the people of Nottingham who have suffered in the half-light of this conflict to a degree that the House Red is disgusted with.
    I speak to you not as your Lord, not even as a member of the nobility, but as a citizen of Nottingham. I understand that many of you have suffered as a result of the refugeee influx that was caused by the war, indeed such was never intended as a personal attack upon the most fine people of this city.
    I speak of the time where our options for the future were most confined, taking action in the way that was carried out appeared to offer the greatest security and happiness for my people, for all of us, however this has been gravely far from the mark. The merchants and craftsmen of this city call out for my love toward my people and not to the refugees, to which I agree. For too long have the people of Nottingham, no, the people of the Notting Lands, be themselves of Notting, Lowesoft or Tuxford, been sidelined in favour of foreign men and women who have demonstrated that they care little for our culture or our cities. The defilement that has been inflicted upon Nottingham is the result of crime caused by the malformed minds of those who fled to these lands, never shall such an infringement upon our people be placed.
    Hear me, for any man, woman or child who finds themselves a refugee in the Notting Lands has but a day to depart. I ask of you, my dearest people, cease your murder of the lost souls of the Empire, their punishments shall come in time. Indeed it is our determination to come to the most beneficial conclusion to this course of affairs that leads me to believe that the people of Nottingham are capable of the greatest change and improvements.

I, Alistair Red, do solemnly swear that on this day no worry shall go unheard, no growing concern pushed to the shadows. A bureau dedicated to such matters is to be opened to allow my citizens to share whatever grievances they may have, be it small or great. In turn, it has been brought to my attention that a most dear family within Nottingham has suffered a most severe loss as a result of the actions against the refugee crime rates. This family shall never be forgotten, a statue is to be errected within one of our town squares in memoriam to those Nottingham citizens who lost their lives to the actions of both zealous justice craving law officials and the vile treatment of this city by the refugees.
    This tragic event has brought a solumn cloud over our heads. I say to you this, let us move together to dispell the turbulent thoughts that have troubled us. I am fully commited to my people's wishes, and I make a promise to you that with every ennactment it is with every citizen in mind that the decisions are made.
    Finally I ask of you this, be the change in the world that you wish to see. I speak to you here, in public, not hidden away in some study, nor some dreary estate. I stand before you as testiment to these words, I wish for all of us to be written into every history textbook for generations, not for the damage caused, but for how great Nottingham and its lands flourished having suffered such struggles."
    -*-

• Like Like x 1
    #2 LadyRose_, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  3. HydraLana

HydraLana The Very Gay Walking Talking Lore Encyclopedia Staff Member Lore3

((Wow...seems all French Revolutionish. I like it.))
    ((Also, what does becoming a marquis in Nordskag mean for my character? (Other then the obvious that I've lost my Earldom and now live in a foreign country)))​

4. Bensonio

Bensonio Nordskag Enthusiast

giggle

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. krios41

krios41 Privjet

all my characters would say the same at this:
    "sheesh mate, can no one shut their trap for a while and complain when there is time for complaining?"

6. Simcity_4

Simcity_4 QUIS CONTRA NOS?

Now something's gonna happen to the Blacks.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. SacredTrout

SacredTrout Patriot

Alexander casually relapses.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Immersive Immersive x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. SorryNari

SorryNari Local Werewolf Supremium

Double giggles.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sadgirlsclub

sadgirlsclub edgelord of the year

Periwinkle flamboyantly comforted the populous of the bakers district by sharing a few recipes amongst them, and gaudily consoling those in need of a shoulder to cry on.

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 2
    #9 sadgirlsclub, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  10. ApatheticLlama

ApatheticLlama El Torero.

I like how Regalian nobility is starting to assume more of a role outside of the Archipelago. First with Alejandro and the Viceroyalty of Daenshore, and now with Leugel and the Marquisate. It sort of broadens the perspective of nobility.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. A'mika

A'mika Going to approve my char A'mika and then do this,

AND EVERYTHING CONTINUES TO HAPPEN ALL AT ONCE!

When someone sometime in Aloria's future starts writing a history textbook for Aloria, can they just put
    "302 AC" and take up an entire page and then fill out half the book with all the stuff that happened?

12. Oursaxmax

Oursaxmax Regalian Burgher

Teressa would again read the documents assigned to her, having ordered her many servants and other staff to tell her all that would happen within any of the lands; merely glancing over the black ink of the words as she looked over them. "Then a rebellion has finally succeeded? Perhaps the war against our dark-skinned enemies may cause more distress then I formally had thought." she thought upon finishing, soon returning her attention to the map at the left of her desk, yet another thing now covering the red cushions and golden thread that hid the furniture's top.