Remove Enderpearls

Discussion in 'Feature & Idea Discussion - Archive' started by Mecharic, Jul 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mecharic

Mecharic I'm tempermental, deal with it.

With the recent removal of Pacifist, I believe a change to balance PvP once again is in order. The removal of enderpearls has been suggested before, but let us revisit it now. Enderpearls have always made walls basically useless, unless they are ridiculously high. But that was someone most folks who deal with, because they didn't run the risk of losing everything when their walls were ignored. But now that is no longer possible, so my compromise: removal of enderpearls to balance the removal of pacifist. Here's how it helps both sides:

Roleplayers/Peaceful: Now your walls are useful and you can actually consider yourself safe within them. No more can people just ignore them with a well-aimed pearl, and no longer do they need to be so tall it just looks stupid. Now even an 8 block wall can keep out enemies, allowing your small village to have a realistic-sized wall and be fully secure for construction and peaceful roleplay. Archers will also be able to safely (ok, somewhat safely) fire arrows from the walls, increasing the RP aspect of PvP.

PvPers/Aggressive: So you're chasing this jerk who just ran in, killed like 4 of your newer members, and booked it out. Now they can't pearl away and you can catch them, fight them, and otherwise actually succeed in defending yourselves. But that's not all! Now you too, can have walls that keep your base safe, making it harder for enemies to storm the gates and keeping those pesky fights out of your farmland or training grounds. Since PvPers like to, well, PvP, you'll almost certainly answer the challenge at your gate and sally forth from your city. It also gives archery some relevance to PvP, as an archer on a wall can now safely target enemies - increasing strategy in PvP.

Staff: It'll shut up both sides because PvPers get to keep their precious pacifist removed while roleplayers get to keep their security.

I think that removing enderpearls would be a good way to balance the removal of pacifist, which tips survival into the favor of PvPers.

• Agree Agree x 20
  2. gridiron1024

gridiron1024 Necro Slayer

Removing a key part of high level pvp is really a bad idea, unless you want to kill pvp of course. If you really can't handle dying, use your backpack as an inventory.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. TheTerrawr

TheTerrawr King of the Silencio Empire

Um no. As a good 99% of server PVP would be removed due to 99% of bases being unraidable.

Also, your tone throughout this entire article is rather unpleasant.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Art16

Art16 The Golden Beetle

The argument is pointless. Pvpers are going to attack and raid no matter what reasons you come up with. Just build a safe house so where in your faction and hide in it until the raiders go away. That simple.

5. Mecharic

@gridiron1024 - Why can't you compromise? All of the non-PvPers just lost one of their largest safety nets and all you can do is be greedy and demand that you get everything to help PvP. You want to take away the 30% faction, don't want to give up a completely illogical tool that makes walls useless, and are hardlining against even a moderated form of pacifist. I don't get it, I used to think you were a voice of moderation - but all I see now is another PvPer who serves nothing but their own ends.

@Art16 - I know they will attack, but by removing enderpearls it allows RPers to RP outside of their safe houses. You wouldn't want to spend all day inside a small safe house because of attackers, would you? I doubt it, so don't demand others suffer so you can enjoy yourself.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. gridiron1024

@Mecharic
    A bit hypocritical conseriding every post you have made is anti pvp. Regardless of that, suggesting to remove things from pvp is best left to the pvpers. If you don't know anything about pvp, you best not suggest what to remove. Enderpearls are a huge part of pvp, removing it would kill pvp. That would be like me saying remove local chat from RP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rooseus

Rooseus Lord of Damorn

I completly support this idea, and everything mecharic has stated makes sence!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Alj23

Alj23 Regalian Pioneer

I think for the future if I raid someone, I will just set up a macro that links the person I am talking with to the link of Raid and Tributes Rules. Something along the line of "Just consider surrendering! (link)" And I will just continue to link that every time they complain.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. TheTerrawr

@Mecharic you want a compromise,here is one. A siege plugin.

Let me get up tomorrow, and I'll write up what I think should be included. Walls where not indestructible inmedieval times.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Mecharic

I'd love to see a siege plugin. Hell, I'd pay good money for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. TheTerrawr

If ender pearls where removed, and nothing was added to replace it, almost all PVP would stop. The server would die,

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mecharic

So what do you say in response to the fact that I consider removal of enderpearls to be a trade off for loss of pacifist?

13. gridiron1024

Backpack is the tradeoff for pacifist. Removing enderpearls is plain stupid.

14. TheTerrawr

That the removal of a vanilla feature, is far more limiting than the removal of a plugin.

15. Rooseus

Rooseus Lord of Damorn

I certainly think enderpearls should be removed, but a plugin has to replace it. There has to be some ways to get thought enemy walls. You should be able to blow up the enemy buildings with a cannon, but the blocks should regenerate. I know this has been suggested many times, but i just wanted to bring it up again becouse i really think it would improve the nature of the server.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheTerrawr

I was suggesting siege towers that removed themselves after a certain time period, or a way to tunnel under a wall, or cannons that blew a small hole. I could see the cannons being abused, so maybe make them very large, and have to have been set up for a long period before being used,

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Alj23

Alj23 Regalian Pioneer

The issue was never walls, but your security of buildings and portals/doors within your base. Sure, shooting a pearl over someone's walls wasn't isn't realistic, but enderpearls are part of Minecraft. Sometimes you just have to let it be. Also, not to mention, the following things would become worthless with the removal of enderpearls...
    • Endermen.
    • Enderpearl chestshops. (A large amount of PVPers sell enderpearls in their shops, which is a decent source of income.)
    • Enderpearl farming machines.
    Also, to this specific argument..
    Believe it or not, this isn't how it usually happens in fights. For us at least. Someone runs in, either gets a kill or doesn't, realizes they need to retreat, and gets chased through the woods. If they happen to get away, they get away. And I guess if someone does a hit and run, and gets away, there's nothing you can do about it.

Also...
    Archery has been relevant and even a valued fighting position since the introduction of traits thanks to the on-hit effects. Your point is moot.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Madus

Madus Robot

A siege like plugin. I am excited. Removal of pearls hmmm.
    Is raiding really such a bid problem.

19. Mecharic

For a siege plugin, I think it would be interesting to have the following features:

1) 'Warclaim' - Not like the old Warclaim, this is a set of 4 chunks that can be claimed by an enemy faction - the chunks MUST be connected to both each other AND wilderness. They are editable by the faction that owns the land and by the faction with the warclaim. Blocks cannot be removed, only added, and all added blocks phase out after 30 minutes of being there. A warclaim cannot be of a faction's /f home (for obvious reasons).

2) Block Regeneration & TnT - The use of TnT is blocked to prevent grief - but what if tnt didn't have drops and wore off after 30 minutes? In this manner raiders can get through a wall but would need to expend resources and time to craft the tnt. It would also do no permanent damage to blocks, thus removing the grief factor. TnT can only be placed in Warzone.

3) Ladders - Similar to Tnt, Ladders should be placeable in warzones and would allow a storming of the walls, which I personally would find to be much more realistic than mere enderpearls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Madus

Madus Robot

Tell me how, I want money.
    Anyway I will just ask someone on teamspeak.

21. gridiron1024

Siege plugin = more lag. Another way to kill pvp even more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. TheTerrawr

1- just claim the chunk outside the wall?

2- Laaaaaaaag

3- Yes. All of my.

23. Sarge_Peppers

Sarge_Peppers The Human Torch.

I agree to the concept, but disagree with the practice. I think it is problematic if you are minding your own business building or doing something in your faction land, and someone comes in and guerrilla raids. You should not have to suffer the consequences of losing all your building mats. I feel like the happy medium has been broken between rprs and pvprs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. keylan118

keylan118 Aretimen Lonsirr/Elantine Edavuer

I support this idea, but I agree that something needs to replace it. If this siege plugin becomes a thing, it should only be usable by a faction at war with you or enemied to you at the very least.
    1) would break the 16 chunks rule.
    2) would the tnt blocks regenerate?
    3) YES YES YES!
    Siege plugin would only cause lag in warclaims, and that is only when using siege stuff.

25. Madus

Madus Robot

If the plugin is written well enough it won't affect too much. And optimising existing plugins can help a lot.
    We could also buy more hardware
    One server for each world not one server for two.
    Or upgrade the existing hardware.
    The last two solutions is expensive, and I guess it won't happen soon. Although it is possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. TheTerrawr

It would not break the 16 chunk rule, as possibly a command called /f war claim unclaim could be added that would need to be used at the end of every raid, that all faction members have access to,

27. Madus

Madus Robot

No that plugin would have to log block placements (even causing some lag when blocks is placed outside of the war claim. Trust me I am a programmer) and running schedulers to regenerate and stuff. It would cause more lag near war claims, but overall lag would exist.

28. Mecharic

1) People would just claim their factions out like 2 chunks and then even if you make it to the wall you probably lose like half your health from the fall.
    2) Not really - I was on a server that used it, fairly large. So long as there aren't 50+ people blowing shiz up at once it should be fine. Especially with the fact that this server has better equip than most.
    3) :D

1) This isn't part of the 16 chunks, warclaim chunks would unclaim after 30 minutes and cannot be used for grief. Beyond this, it would only be able to be used on enemy factions, and would not allow the direct destruction of buildings/walls.
    2) Yes, I've seen plugins that regenerate tnt and creeper explosions.
    3) :D

29. Mecharic

@gridiron1024 - PvP causes lag. Remove it now. I command thee!

I'm joking of course, but you could try for something a little less, I dunno, completely unhelpful.

• Winner Winner x 1
  30. TheTerrawr

In regardes to 1, if chunks are claimed outside the wall, and it has to connect to wilderness, it wouldn't work?

31. TheTerrawr

Plz stap being offensive. It doesn't help your cause.

32. Mecharic

How so? What I'm imagining is something like the dead scar from WoW, where there is a direct line from the edge of ones territory to the final destination. This would allow for attackers to create proper siege engines, catapults, and ballista, as well as getting through the wall. Warclaim would only have, say, 4 chunks of claim regardless of faction size, and would be used solely to reach a wall. Baring the line-claim thing, it could just be 4 chunks to claim anywhere, allowing people to set up outposts (temp) in enemy territory, as well as break through walls.

33. keylan118

keylan118 Aretimen Lonsirr/Elantine Edavuer

I'm guessing you could claim into faction territory.

34. Mecharic

Sorry, I'm just very annoyed with him right now. Mostly because he hasn't said anything constructive yet in this thread, only, and I quote:

A post calling me a hypocrite goes here.
    I see only negativity here, and it would be nice if he could try to put effort into compromise or at least constructive arguments or additions. Like extending the cooldown for pearls or suggesting a more moderate version of removal (along the lines of, can't be used in enemy territory).

35. TheTerrawr

Maybe limiting the amount of pearls that can stack in inventories? Not chests, but say inky 3 per stack in BP and inventory. Taking up precious space,

36. gridiron1024

@Mecharic
    You have been doing nothing but flaming pvpers in several of your posts, therefor I recommend you are not the one complaining about negative posts. If you had done any research into the idea of siege plugin you would see why those suggestions got shut down. They are not sharding compatible. Why have cayorion spend his time making a new plugin when enderpearls are NOT unbalanced. Suggesting a nerf to a random pvp feature that is COMPLETELY UNRELATED to pacifist is an unrealistic idea that would serve nothing more than to please those whining about the new changes.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Joshy54100

Joshy54100 ☑ rekt ☐ not rekt

But many people have complained about this very thing: anyone could break into your base with the Warclaim/Block Regeneration & TnT method, which makes all bases insecure, and I could see you and others complaining about those very 'solutions' if they were made, since most of your posts about PvP related issues have to do with the noobs and defenseless people of MassiveCraft.

38. Mecharic

Well, my original idea is thus: they can only claim 4 chunks (limiting raids to 4 factions max at the same time) and can only place blocks in that chunk - the TnT can be used, but it's easy enough for someone to see "oh shiz, tnt, better log off" if they don't want to be blown up in their house.

39. Art16

Art16 The Golden Beetle

No, I will spend all day stuck in a very large safe house.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  40. Joshy54100

Joshy54100 ☑ rekt ☐ not rekt

This is the very stuff you have complained about though, this would leave RP'ers defenseless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.