Removal Of Pink Cloud Rating

Discussion in 'Feature & Idea Discussion - Archive' started by Imboring56, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imboring56

Imboring56 Seasoned Runner

Suggestion: Take out the pink cloud rating from the forums.
    Reasons:
    • There are at least three possible meanings of pink cloud, from what I have heard - either that somebody has bad RP, pink cloud is good because it's pink, or somebody is high on drugs. Even though I know that it symbolizes bad RP, it is abused so many times by so many users that it should just be taken down.
    • We all lose self-control at some point. We all probably have a grudge or rivalry with somebody else that makes us put something like a Pink Cloud on their post. I will take the example of the original pink cloud removal thread. The poster had gotten 14 pink clouds, yet the post didn't fit the description of any of the first three definitions of its use, much less the intended use to symbolize bad RP.
    Notes: If meaningless pink clouds on this thread are thrown with no explanation whatsoever, there will be a forum ban request with your name on it coming in. This is a serious thought on a serious thread, and I don't want people screwing around with it. I can also single out people that frequently do this, but I will not on this thread for the sake of privacy. So please think about your actions before you commence them.

~ Imboring56

• Agree x 26
    • Winner x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Constructive x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  2. Billy_Rage

Billy_Rage The heart of a lover, the soul of a writer

Yeah I think it should be removed, it would probrably be easy right?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Krolose

Krolose That guy you might remember.

Can't say I disagree with the notion that the pink cloud is abused. Removing it however might be a bit extreme, renaming it to better demonstrate its meaning might help seeing as ratings like optimistic aren't abused despite their fabulous appearance.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. RaptureVH

RaptureVH Refugee

I agree, there are very few times I see something that sees a pink cloud rating. There may have been a few times one deserved one, but it was mostly on accident.

5. BboyMVB

BboyMVB Captain of the Maelstrom, Savior of Regalia

I would support this, pink clouds seem to be misunderstood or given out in spite. They aren't really needed in my opinion

• Agree Agree x 8
  6. Imboring56

This is probably the worst reason I've heard so far. If it's such a little thing, then it would probably be very easy to remove.
    I've never seen a pink cloud used once correctly, and it's already been highly clarified that it is used to symbolize bad RP. Removing it isn't extreme if the cause is extreme. Besides, if somebody's RP was bad, you should just tell them what they did wrong so that they could fix and learn from their mistake instead of making them feel bad about it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Zero_00

Zero_00 Should have paid the fine Staff Member Game2

Having just considered giving you a pink cloud for making this thread I support you.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Magivore

Magivore No Rest For The Wicked

๖ۣۜI give you a big, fat +1 Support. It was bothering me so much with people sending me so many clouds. From that thread alone, I literally got more than 30 pink clouds. If you have access to my normal profile, it takes up almost a 1/7 of all the ratings I've ever recieved throughout the entire time I used this profile on the forums, let alone I was actually being bothered by people over things like Skype whom really were too defending of the Pink Cloud.

๖ۣۜNot going to lie, I got fed up from it very darn well, seeing as I got 40 alerts one day, and about 27 of them were pink clouders. Pardon for losing my temper on that thread, nonetheless...
    ๖ۣۜI hope this one is acknowledged as soon as possible, just for my sake and the sake of others whom have been bothered by it. :<

9. Blazara

Blazara

I disagree completely with the latter. I direct you towards a particular thread by a particular user, whom, by the bidding of a particular banned-member, made threats against MonMarty and the staff in general. Said thread started with RP elements, but was so poor that people rated many of her replies , which were building on the initial post, with pink clouds. Pink Clouds used against poor RP.

10. Imboring56

That is one thread, and I know exactly which thread you are talking about. I can post a hundred of threads on here which have been given pink clouds for no reason, and don't symbolize bad RP or anything of the sort. I can assemble a huge list of everything like that.

Also, not going to debate this here, but that was more of a rambling of threats against the staff, not truly done in RP. Either way, the number of abused threads and posts with pink cloud far outweigh the number of threads and posts where it is actually necessary. Heck, people have said they were tempted to give this suggestion a pink cloud just for the post of it. It shows how humans behave without thinking much in these kinds of cases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mecharic

Mecharic I'm tempermental, deal with it.

I support this. I get too many pink clouds when not even in an RP thread. Also:

Please replace it with a Pink Snake rating...
    Pink Snake Rating.jpg

"For when they've declared war on ALL the other factions!"

• Funny x 4
    • Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Creative x 1
  12. FCCarnilord

FCCarnilord Regalian Lesser Noble

OH SO I SEE HOW IT IS
    So me and my twin get pink clouds and he gets agrees? (doh) Well, at least someone is on my page. :D
    ONE BIG FAT +SUPPORT

• Like Like x 3
  13. FCCarnilord

Also, quick question, will the ratings on the "neutral ratings" section lower and have the pink cloud subracted from it's overall amount?

14. Imboring56

Based on my knowledge, the ratings from the pink cloud will be subtracted as the rating does no longer exist, thus the total amount of ratings would adjust itself.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ozgho

ozgho Regalian Pioneer

I agree with this motion based on this logic.

16. Ryciera

Ryciera When virtue is preyed upon.

Pink cloud. Srs business guys.

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. babbleboi

babbleboi Regalian Pioneer

I SUPPORT Too many people abusing it; especially in spite.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. thor5648

thor5648 Ever Waiting

They are also used for a thread/ post that is rather silly and useless cough cough

19. Sarah Jane

Sarah Jane Niveah Astalder Celestal

I believe that the actual purpose of it should be salvaged, but perhaps presented differently. Its original purpose being "Role-play value that is either bad or needs improvement".
    Present it differently as in using a different icon, so people take it more seriously. Apparently our forum users can't handle the fact that something remotely silly has an actual meaning.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. TylerJG92

TylerJG92 Science Nerd from a High School

i for one support this, i never understood the meaning of pink clouds soo, i never bothered with them.
    supported!

21. Imboring56

Explain further, please?

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. FCCarnilord

That's how they are used, not how they are intended.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Ryciera

Ryciera When virtue is preyed upon.

If that's how they're used, then clearly the Pink Cloud has evolved into something new.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. FCCarnilord

The ratings themselves didn't evolve, it's the way the "raters" intend it to be used, and using it the "wrong way" most of the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Ddafad

Ddafad Baa-ram-ewe.

Let me just leave this with you. Please read up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  26. FCCarnilord

It's about time someone besides a few read that...

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Magivore

๖ۣۜThor, you apparently have now started using it as an insult (a poor one, at that). All the more reason to remove it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Feykronos

Feykronos Regalian Pioneer

Personally I would agree with the removal. Not only because of the reasons mentioned above, but also because I find it somewhat lazy. To me it just feels a little like a 'because I said so' kind of response, since rarely have I seen anybody attempt to actually explain why they have pink clouded a post to start with. The 'disagree' function tells the poster you disagree with the idea, the 'read more' function means that they have misread something, or that an explanation for why they are wrong is available on the forums. All I see a 'pink cloud' as, is an 'I don't like either you or this post, but I refuse to make the effort to type out constructive criticism'.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. Azas

Azas lofi sihai

I am a person who uses the pink cloud quite a lot. When I use it, it doesn't always mean bad roleplay. I often use it if someone makes some oblivious or irrational statement for which I don't think disagree or read more would apply. Additionally, I sometimes use it as a general go-to neutral rating if none of the others apply yet I think a rating is needed. I have never used it out of spite, and it should be noted that any rating can be used out of spite or for any reason, and that the rating system is not the problem but the offender in particular, in most cases.

From my experience, however, it has a very negative connotation. Often I receive pms, profile posts, or tags on the thread questioning my good sense. Sometimes I'm even told why use a pink cloud when a disagree may fit as well. Well, if the person is receiving a neutral rating anyway, why does it matter?

Another point, which I'm not sure everyone would agree with but it is my thoughts on the matter, is that the players decide what a rating truly means through their usage.

Despite all this, though, I suppose I am in support of this removal. Why? Because this pisses me off:
    I received a pink cloud rating which didn't make sense to me, so I messaged the guy, and he replied "haha sorry, i meant to rate it something else" and left the rating as it was

Burn it! Burn the pink cloud!

• Agree Agree x 5
  30. Xskill

Xskill I'm a Hoax now.

I personally like Pink Cloud since it's a good indicator of a irrelevant, unimportant or non-lore post. An example of this would be - Me: Lore stuff, story stuff, something interesting, unwitty joke. Other person: Acceptance, general nod, a personal opinion. Some other guy: A meme that is relevant to the topic. Another guy: Says he's batman.

Another guy would get a pink cloud.

That being said however. I do
    not agree with negative ratings at all. They are not relevant data and are mostly used to bully or spite people. Too many times have I seen someone being given a pink cloud, and then the person who got the pink cloud just pink clouds them. Same with disagree rating.

• Agree Agree x 4
  31. FCCarnilord

Yeaaaaaaa sorry about that xD But yes, it should be burned. Does anyone have an image of the sky full of pink clouds on fire?

• Winner Winner x 1
  32. Azas

Azas lofi sihai

That example actually wasn't about you, but it further illustrates the point

33. FCCarnilord

Yea, but I have done once or twice to nab ya with the "pink cloud" because of when I got it when I feel I shouldn't have.
    Like I said, we need a picture of the sky full of pink clouds on fire.

34. Magivore

[​IMG]
    I​
    I​
    I​
    V​
    [​IMG]
    ๖ۣۜGood enough, yes?

• Funny Funny x 1
  35. Imboring56

I get what you're saying, and I agree there are times when a pink cloud does serve its purpose. Unfortunately, it seems to be abused more than actually used correctly, as seen from multiple forum threads and posts. I wish society would actually work well together, but apparently this community is deranged with negativity.

Another example: On the thread that Spartan mentioned earlier, Marty got 6 pink clouds on his first post just for stating the meanings of the rating and putting what it means, as well as a warning not to abuse it. Well, there you go. Shows you that if you can't trust me to use these ratings correctly, then the ratings should be taken down. Unfortunately, one people ends up spoiling the fun for many.

Also, Grailen, may you say why you disagree? Or else that ban request will be going up, as you've harassed quite a bit of forum members before that aren't truly pleased with your behavior.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Generous Generous x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  36. studsonsc

studsonsc the only son.

I support this idea, theres more then one person *cough* Valmyr *cough* that pink clouds random things for no reason...Okay maybe sometimes he has a good reason. Though I must admit, he pink clouded me so I pink clouded him back...I think its best if we just get rid of it. Most people don't even know how to use it correctly. Personally, I still don't get what its used for...BURN DA PINK CLOUD!!!! *starts a bonfire*
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  37. X0N3333

X0N3333 Refugee

Supported!
    The pink cloud rating has been abused so much that it can no longer be trusted to be fairly and reasonably used by users, which is sad. I see a lot of people whom quite simply rate others as pink cloud for no reason at all and then when they question it they get responses like "I said so", very rarely have I seen it used properly. The same happens sometimes with the offensive rating.
    There does need to be a way or a rules/rule that stop ratings abuse on the forums, for example a guy with an offensive rating/ratings given for stupid reasons could be heavily judged when people look at his profile even though he did not receive the rating for proper reasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  38. Imboring56

39. Imboring56

Reviving thread again as it seems no Direction staff have responded to this suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
  40. PrincessJynn

PrincessJynn Kind of the best.

I support. Mainly because I didn't even know what it meant until this post. x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.